Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
Ranked #6 of 14 hotels in San Mateo
Los Angeles
“Just sad.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

First, the location is a parking lot in a business complex which is uninviting at best. My confirmation was for a studio with one queen bed and I was given a larger room with two smaller beds that reeked of cigarette smoke, none of the wall switches worked and the tv was non-responsive. I couldn't stand the smell so I asked to be moved to another room.

This room was located next to the highway and also reeked of cigarette smoke. It's thermostat was broken and the window was left wide open (I assume to remove the smell), so the room was 40 degrees on entering. Oddly, the bathtub was completely full of water (due to a leaky faucet) when I arrived suggesting to me that no one had been in this room for weeks. The blankets were painfully thin and the pillows are small squares of bundled material. I was too tired to care anymore and move to another room because of my late arrival.

Overall, this was just lazy on the management's part to provide the minimum amount of service and cleanliness. Be wary if you stay here.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces the interior of the property as some rooms face out to the parking lot...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the condition of your room. Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Only certain rooms are designated as smoking rooms, the rest as non-smoking. It should never be the case that a guest who requests a non-smoking room is placed in a smoking room when the preferred room type is available. In response to your comments, I have met with hotel management and staff to find out how such an experience occurred and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence. We also have made sure that our strict inspection standards are in place as it is our policy to inspect every room prior to a guest's arrival. I sincerely apologize that this clearly did not happen in your case.

It's not common that we get the sort of review that you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

nice place for long term stay. the breakfast is very bad, you will get muffin and apple daily..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO. I know how committed we are to satisfying our guests, which is why it gave me great pleasure to read your kind words about your stay. Given this commitment, it was with concern that I read the rest of your review about our grab and go breakfast. You have my most sincere apologies that your stay wasn't totally enjoyable.

I am glad for the opportunity to respond to you in this forum. Although we do not currently offer a full breakfast, we are pleased to offer an expanded coffee bar, with gourmet brews, muffins and granola bars, and fresh fruit. I do understand that you would have preferred a fuller breakfast bar, and assure you that I will bring your concerns to the attention of our corporate office.

Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

One of the nicest extended stay we've ever stayed in with the best staff. Completely remodeled and clean with comfortable Kitchen. Free internet is a huge plus and TV with selective channels include showtime.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Mateo. It is so nice to hear when guests have such a great experience at our hotels. We are so glad you enjoyed having our fully equipped kitchen for your added convenience during your stay and that you were pleased with our complimentary internet connectivity and cable TV. It is our mission each and every guest stay to provide clean, comfortable accommodations all at a great value. Thank you for your recognition and we hope that you will come visit us again should you be in our area in the future. With Hospitality the Management at Extended Stay America San Mateo.
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed one month in this hotel. Its a nice stay for me as all staff members are friendly and co-operative for all your queries. Its a very nice place to stay. One can enjoy free internet and tv with selective channels. Very clean and immediate response to your any concern will be greatly appreciated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Mateo. It is so gratifying to get such great reviews from guests such as yourself. We are so happy to hear that our staff was helpful to your during your stay with any needs or concerns, we pride ourselves on providing clean, comfortable accommodations coupled with outstanding guest service. It sounds as if you really enjoyed your stay with us. This is what we are about, stay after stay! I hope that you will come stay with us again should your travels bring you back to the area or that of any of our over 680 locations nationwide. With our thanks, the Management at Extended Stay America San Mateo.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The refrigerator's noise apparently didn't wake me cause I slept through the nite. The reception staff was friendly and checked me in quickly. The room was clean, the kitchenette convenient to heat up some soup and make some toast. NO bed bugs found!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Our sincere thanks to you for such a nice review about your stay at Extended Stay America San Mateo. I am so glad to hear that you found our rooms to be just what you needed for your stay while in town. Our newly refreshed guest rooms with the kitchens tend to be an added comfort and convenience for all our guests more so than a regular hotel room. It is very nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to get a good nights rest. We thank you again for your nice words and hope that you will return to visit us should you be back in our area again. With Hospitality, The Management at Extended Stay America San Mateo.
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Probably the nicest extended stay we've ever stayed in with the best staff. Completely remodeled and clean.

Free internet is a huge plus as we usually have to pay....limited cable selection though does have Showtime.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
We would like to offer our sincere thanks for your kind words about your stay with us at Extended Stay San Mateo, California. It is so nice to hear that people are taking notice and enjoying the freshly appointed accommodations of all our hotels throughout the nation. We pride ourselves on providing clean comfortable rooms all at a great value. We also indeed now provide complimentary Wi-Fi accessibility with the option to purchase higher bandwidth for just 1.00 a day. We feel that our guests comfort and satisfaction are key to our continued success as a hospitality provider. Thank you so much again for your kind review, we hope that you will stay with us again should you be back in our area or that you visit any one of our other 680 locations nationwide. With Hospitality the Management at Extended Stay San Mateo.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed six days in this hotel with my friend. Past three days, I found bed bugs bite my neck ,arms ,and fingers.
And I found two pieces of bed bugs on my bed and pillow. I killed them.
we called front office ,and changed another room.
I was so upset and feel so bad. My shin was getting red and itch by bed bugs bites.
we asked talk to the manager, but they did not say anything.
I will never stay this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Keiko - Thank you for posting feedback about your stay at our hotel. The staff and I strive to provide 100% guest satisfaction, which is why I am so disheartened to hear of the issues you experienced during your visit. We work hard to provide clean rooms and great beds to all of our guests; however, it seems that we were unable to do that for you.

Please know that I am working with the staff now to ensure that a situation like yours does not happen again in the future. It would be great to have you stay with us again to show you the efforts begin made. Please contact us directly for a reservation should you choose to give us another chance.

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO? Share your experiences!