“Had a lot better for a lot less” 2 of 5 stars
Review of san mateo prime

san mateo prime
Improve this listing
Ranked #75 of 355 restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Foster City, California, United States
“Had a lot better for a lot less”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have been 3 times, so I've given them a chance. The first 2 times the steak was excellent; this last time I ordered my filet medium rare and it was medium with a little pink. I thought that I could live with that, as long as it has pink in it. But the outside was slightly burnt in spots and I had to cut off pieces. I guess I should have sent it back. There really aren't too many side dishes and there is only one healthy-ish choice - sautéed spinach - which was drenched in butter. And the most interesting part of the meal is the salad. It is iceberg lettuce with crushed eggs, beets, and a sweet dressing. The one positive thing is the staff. They are great but I think 3 times is enough for me.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

57% Recommend
San Mateo, California
“Great Prime Rib”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family has always been a Gullivers Fan. Since that restaurant closed in July we have had to find a new spot for our celebrations. San Mateo Prime fits that bill. All eight of us had great dinners. The prime rib was cooked exactly the way we wanted and was quite lean. The popovers are always my favorite and these were crispy on the outside and served hot. Mine was topped off with creamed corn and spinach but you can customize your own from a list of sides. A nice salad was also included in the dinner price. THIS will be our new celebration restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“If you want beef, then worth considering”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I had the petite steak (8oz), more than large enough, but it lacked ambiance, and the food lacked any sparkle, nothing outstanding at all.

Visited June 2012
Menlo Park, CA
“Good Prime Rib and Not Much Else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

What a weird place! You think you are going into a traditional steak house and end up feeling like you're in a dim sum family run restaurant - complete with cranky family members more interesting in fighting and ignoring each other than in serving food and diners. Although we had prime rib and lamb (both very good) the side dishes were AWFUL. Creamed corn, some sort of ?spinach? and the worst instant mashed potatoes ever. It's sad to pair a nice steak with sides from a bad frozen dinner...really, just sad.
BONUS - you get a popover (please see photo). Half cooked and tastes like crappy scrambled eggs. Hilarious. Also, very expensive (about $50 for prime rib with said crappy sides that you don't get to choose)

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jupiter, Florida
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stumbled upon this restaurant on our last nite in town, and had a wonderful experience. Steak was perfectly prepared, veggies, salmon all deelish. I think our server
was either the owner, or the manager.. what an accomodating, friendly, personalble guy! Was very accomodating to us, and even gave us some of the house salad dressing to take back on the flight to Florida with us. We're planning a trip back to visit family next month, and the first place will go for dinner will be San Mateo Prime.

• Visited August 2010