“5-Star Setting, 3-Star Attention to Detail” 3 of 5 stars
Review of CordeValle, A Rosewood Resort

Save Saved
You added CordeValle, A Rosewood Resort to your Saves list
CordeValle, A Rosewood Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1 CordeValle Club Dr., San Martin, CA 95046 (Formerly Lodge at CordeValle)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Martin
Wailea, Hawaii
“5-Star Setting, 3-Star Attention to Detail”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband booked a night at CordeValle for our anniversary, towards the end of our summer vacation this July. The arrival at the private gate set up high expectations. Our names were on the list, we were welcomed and given a personalized car sign to display on our dashboard.

This is a small, luxury property with some 45 guest suites and villas. Arriving at the hotel lobby we were greeted by polite and kind guest staff who assured us they'd be happy to do anything they could to make our stay enjoyable. Check in at the front desk changed the vibe immediately. Cool and aloof, we were told we were "early" and our room was not ready. Well, when my husband called from the airport 2 hours prior to confirm driving directions, that would have been a nice time to share this information. Mind you, we arrived at about 3 pm.

The desk person reviewed our package in complete detail with my husband, I was by his side as she confirmed that he had selected the "romance package" that included among other things a nice amenity and turn down service with flower petals. 5-stars to my sweet husband, 0-stars to the ditz who just showed his wife the entirety of our package! We were told the room would be ready in a while, after it went through it's final inspection. This was a Thursday night and the resort seemed very quiet but I guess they needed until after 4 pm to get our suite ready.

The room was fabulous, spacious, comfortable, even decadent. No complaints there. A nice wine amentiy was included with our package. Again the guest services staff were polite and kind, taking us up to the nearby winery for a tour and making small talk with us as we asked questions, etc. When we later returned to the room to get ready for dinner, we decided to open our bottle of wine but found no wine opener. Hmmmm, guess they missed that in their room inspection. A phone call and 10 minutes later, a wine opener was delivered.

We had originally made reservations at their fine dining restaurant, but made the mistake of deciding we wanted more casual service and to try the grill instead. The menu looked nice and the upscale casual setting on the terrace very inviting. We had a young, inexperienced waitress who was very kind and took the time to answer or get answers to our questions. She took our orders and all was going well right through wine presentation. She opened the bottle, poured a taste, and promptly recorked the bottle. This is a restaurant with an expensive, expansive wine list. That was the last we saw of her. Food was efficiently delivered by back waiters. No one ever asked how our meals were. No one ever poured our wine (we did ourselves). I finally had to ask for a blanket as the evening grew colder. All the while, each table around us was receiving a higher level of service. Around 10 pm we picked ourselves up along with what was left of our bottle of wine and went to sit inside by the fire. At that point the bartender asked if there was something he could do to assist us. Yes, could you tell us where our server is? We've been outside for almost 2 hours and haven't seen her in over an hour. OMG... I sent her home, I am so sorry. REALLY? Great attention to detail. Can we just get our check, we'll go back to our room soon.

Despite the fact that there was no surprise in the turn down service, I was still looking forward to the romantic arrival back to our suite. But guess what? Yep, they forgot about it! No turn down, no petals...All this may have spoiled someone else's night, but for us we just laughed and realized we'd have some funny memories.

We ordered room service the next morning, which arrived approximately 20 minutes after the delivery time we were given. They offered to set it up on our private courtyard which sounded like a lovely idea until we were attacked by yellow jackets. We moved ourselves inside and enjoyed our morning. They are prompt about check out and my husband had a tee time, so when asked we were specific about when we'd like our breakfast items removed so that we'd have time to shower, pack and leave the room. Guess what? They didn't come back for the dishes. We wound up moving them back outside for the yellow jackets to give us some more room to get organized, so it would have been easy for them to pick up and leave.

At check out we were asked about our stay by the similarly aloof front desk person. Lovely room, ok service. Still glowing from a great vacation and happy marriage, I played our experience down and was surprised when my husband who normally doesn't complain pushed the issue a bit and let the desk person know how disappointed we were. They knew he had a tee time and I was going to use the pool/spa for a couple of hours before needing to leave for an engagement. So they offered to "buy me 2 drinks" at the pool. At 11:00 am. Ummmm, ok but no thanks. I would have appreciated a heartfelt apology much more than the assumption I wanted to go tie one on at the pool. I left the property around 1 pm, and asked the staff to make sure to get my husband and friend's drink after golf.

Now, here is the FINAL kicker. My husband had a great round of golf with a dear friend from nearby. Chatting about our night and experience, the friend started asking leading questions. When my husband didn't answer as expected, he asked directly: "so, did you get our gift"? Gift? Noooooo.... He and his wife had ordered a nice bottle of champagne for us along with a personalized card to be delivered to our room. Oopps, I guess they forgot that too. But they didn't forget to charge him for it!

What makes me most upset about this experience? That my husband and I both LOVED the setting, the accommodations, the location and amenities. The tale unfolds slowly, and before all this happened, we talked about coming back for more than 1 night, playing golf together, hiking, horseback riding. Now that's all spoiled. I don't picture us ever returning.

The management needs to get their act together.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
St. George, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

From the minute I checked in to the moment I checked out, everything was perfect! My bungalow was lovely and so comfortable. The food was beyond delicious...Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberries (OMG!). The facilities were wonderful. The Staff, well, the best I have ever met! The only downside...I had to leave to come home. This intimate, luxurious resort is a must to anyone who loves golf, tennis, or who wants to sit and enjoy friends and family who play golf and tennis.

Room Tip: I stayed in #37...loved it! Spacious, yet cozy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
bend, oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Another fantastic Rosewood resort property! Cordevalle, while not a bargain, is a fantastic place to relax and refresh. Spent 3 nights here on a golf getaway and enjoyed every minute. The setting is beautiful, the rooms were large, comfortable and quiet and the service was friendly and efficient. My wife and I used the spa for a massage and it was very relaxing. The golf course looks tougher than it really was. My advice would be listen to your caddy! The greens were quick and difficult to read. Great couples getaway!!

Room Tip: We spent our time in a bungalow. Quiet with a great view. Only down side was the up hill walk from t...
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a very good place to be! Everything is just soooo good! Very nice people working her and they really take care of you in a most kind way without that you get the feeling of "..maybe to much". The Spa is excellent and talking about actvities the Golf Course is first class. CordeValle is a place to spend a couple of days just enjoying life, grasping the moment. The onlz negative is that once you been here you get hooked but I can live with that.

Rancho Mirage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This may be the nicest hotel/resort I have ever stayed in. Heck, let's just say it. This IS the nicest hotel I have ever been lucky enough to enjoy.

The setting is absolutely fabulous. The grounds, the golf course, the spa -- everything is top-notch. Absolutely fabulous. As I said, if money is no object...and especially if you are traveling with man's best friend, as we always do. This resort is dog-friendly to the max -- our Golden Retriever Jasper could not have been happier. The staff treated him as if he were an honored guest (which of course he was).

I could go on and on. The hotel is great. The staff super-friendly and professional. The spa is great, and the grounds are perfect.

The only "but" is the price. The rooms are extremely expensive unless you can get in on some sort of deal. The restaurant and bar are excellent (get the mushroom pizza!). But a margarita will set you back almost $20 after tax and tip. It was really good, of course, but $20 for a pretty small margarita?

The hotel/resort obviously caters to the well-heeled. But they don't make you feel less than worthy if you are watching your budget.

Go for a special event -- that's what we did. I will be shocked if you don't love CoredeValle. But be prepared to burn some serious cash.

Will we be back? You bet. It's a special place. But for people like us, we have to pick our spots -- and our specials. The price point is pretty darn high for the rooms and the restaurant.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. Don't sweat it. Only about 45 rooms and they all are great, i think.
Studio City, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My husband and I have been to Corde Valle on two occasions. On our most recent trip, we decided to bring our dog. As we experienced during our first stay, the service was SUPERB. We were greeted warmly, and the staff welcomed us back (I am certain it's in their computer system or something). When we arrived at our room, there was a welcome note not only for us, but for the dog as well! We were escorted by cart to a nearby vineyard, and picked up when we were ready to return to our room. Any and all of our needs were met at all times, including the dog's. They even had a dog friendly menu! My husband enjoyed a relaxing round of golf, while I took a long walk around the grounds, enjoyed the gym and views. They have two lovely hikes where one can spot deer and other wildlife. The spa amenities were fabulous, and both dinners were out of this world. And, as I mentioned above, the Vineyard, Clos de Chance is minutes away. Attentive, sincere and friendly service at all times. We cannot wait until our next visit!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We spent a week here during our recent Vancouver/California trip, staying in one of the bungalows overlooking the golf course. We agreed that this was the best resort out of those we stayed in on our trip. The property is beautifully situated beside the Santa Cruz mountains with fabulous views and wildlife all around. The main building is very pretty and the bungalows are great. We loved the fact you could make your own coffee and toast (nespresso machine and toaster provided, but no cutlery - we found this odd and had to buy plastic cutlery nearby) in the morning rather than have to get dressed and walk to the main building for breakfast.
The bathrooms and the main bedroom/sitting room are huge - plenty of space - and well decorated/very luxurious.
The pool area is great (bit too much towel changing as soon as you stood up though!) as is the gym - everything you need. Service from the guys on the door/valets was first class - they remembered your names, all the key facts and went out of their way to be helpful. We did think the resort suffered from the absence of a concierge though - the front desk handled enquiries which was fine, but an on-site concierge would have been better. Where we have to score Cordevalle down was on the food and beverage side - breakfast on our first morning was a disaster. We were ignored by the waiting staff, had to find menus on our own and when our order was eventually delivered 45 minutes after we entered the restaurant, it was completely wrong! As a result, we never ate breakfast there again. Our experience at dinner was also mixed - we ate in the One Iron Bar 3 times - twice was great and one was extremely poor. 45 minute wait again and when one meal was served, it was burned and cold. Had to be returned. The resort handled the issues well but really, it needs to up its game here as we felt it was inconsistent in terms of waiter service and food quality.
Overall, this is a fabulous resort and we would recommend it to anyone staying in the area - we will definitely return and hope they have ironed out the food/service issues by then.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to CordeValle, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!