“Excellent service, nice rooms, almost perfect!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lakehouse Hotel & Resort

You added Lakehouse Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Lakehouse Hotel & Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1025 La Bonita Drive, San Marcos, CA 92078 (Formerly Quail's Inn Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in San Marcos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent service, nice rooms, almost perfect!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed here on a blind Hotwire reservation over Comic Con weekend and a very pleasant find, although a bit out of the way. Customer service was great, especially by Nick, who went out of his way to print us a map to comic con, and even booked a train reservation for our daughter and printed out the ticket. On our last morning we were having coffee and reading the paper by the pool and he even went to the lobby to get my hubby a refill. All staff were very friendly. Wish we'd had a pool or lake view, but for the last minute rate we didn't expect much. Nicely appointed rooms with attractive contemporary decor and comfy bed in fairly spotless rooms. Sweet treats like sangria at Friday happy hour poolside, and s'mores by the firepit on Saturday although they didn't mention these at check-in. Coffee, iced tea and water in the lobby. All nice amenities without being stuffy. Would've given five stars but for a lousy hot dog from pool bar, poor wifi making it hard to stay connected for business and no on-site restaurant although a 5 minute walk away and a new restaurant under construction. Suggest putting more lake view benches around as you can't see it from the pool area and if your room isn't on the lake it'd be nice to still enjoy it. We'd go back for a lake view room but not being golfers we'd rather be closer to the coast. Great little find overall!

Stayed July 2014
Erin B, General Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
WeekendWoman, Thank you for the review. Nick was very happy to see you mention him, well deserved praise for sure! I am also glad you got to take advantage of our complimentary amenities even though you were attending the convention. I will have to try the hot dog to see where we can improve on this, thanks for letting me know.
We all look forward to welcoming you back soon and have a great end to Summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I absolutely loved the bed! And more so loved that it was all white! So nice! I also loved the shower! I could have stayed in it forever! My only issues were that the wifi was very iffy. You couldn't stay connected. Also when maid service came the first time they didn't bother to leave more toiletries. I did LOVE the Lather brand! Very nice touch. A microwave in the rooms would have been nice too. My only major complaint was the parking. We had 2 rooms closest to where they are building the new restaurant for the hotel. And on the weekends, if you weren't there to park early, you had a choice, park far away and walk or park on the street and walk. When I complained to the desk the girl said we could park on the street like it was no big deal. She said it was 4th of July weekend and they were full. I think for the price you charge, you should make sure your guests don't have to walk a mile just to get to their room.

Over all, I would stay again, but not on that side.

• Stayed July 2014
Erin B, General Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Hello Baref00tsies, Thank you for selecting the Lakehouse for your Fourth of July weekend! I'm glad you had a nice stay and enjoyed all of the in room amenities. Sorry to hear the parking was a little difficult. We have been brainstorming some good solutions for those busy weekends and have started to implement some of the ideas. You shouldn't have any issues when you come back to celebrate with us next year!

Thank You.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This place is all show and no go. Beautiful bathrobes, but not enough hangers in the closet. Good idea on the mirror lights (all around), but unnecessarily harsh lighting. Rain showerhead in shower, but not adjustable. Several other things; none of them huge problems, but for $200+ a night there shouldn't be any problems. The only thing that I felt was really good about this place was the price and quality of breakfast at the adjoining golf club restaurant. Excellent meals for quite a reasonable price. Didn't try dinner there, but I have a sneaking suspicion of overpriced small portioned meals at supper time.
We also stayed at a B&B, a Marriott and a Hilton while we were visiting up and down the coast,. All of these places were much less expensive and offered so much more. Especially the bed-and-breakfast!

Stayed July 2014
lluvgoodstuff, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our bathrobes, they are one of my favorite things too. It's also nice to know about the hangers, we will look at adding some in each room to make sure all our guests can spread out just like they would at home. Our goal is to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Next time you're here you should check out the Grill for dinner. They have specials every night including half off entrees on Mondays! My favorite is the bacon wrapped Angus meatloaf for $18, only $9 on Mondays.
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Lakehouse this past weekend for a wedding in which the bride and groom had a few rooms here for many of us that would be traveling for their wedding close by. We wanted an early check in on a busy Saturday after the 4th of July. We got in about 2 hours before check in time and Brooke not only got us checked in early, but she also went out of her way to make sure we got a handicap room I needed. We got a room on the second floor with an elevator since I can't walk up the stairs. The room was very well decorated with a great color scheme. We spent our first night at the wedding close by. The only issue we had was with housekeeping. When we got back from the wedding after 10pm, they hadn't cleaned our room!! The front desk kindly sent up new towels but it was a bummer to not have the room done. They have smorse night on Saturdays as well as different activities at the pools and on the lake. We went by the front desk where Brooke helped us again to extend another night because it was my wife's birthday and we were having such a great time. She also set us up on an avalon boat where we went around the lake later in the day. The weather was beautiful as was the lake and hotel. We ate breakfast at the restaurant on the golf course and the food was amazing. We definitely recommend this charming hotel and will return in the future with a return guest discount!! A big thank you to Brooke and the rest of the Lakehouse for accommodating our needs!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Erin B, General Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Will V, Thank you for recognizing Brooke and the dedicated service she gives to our guests. She really finds a way to go above and beyond to make every stay extremely memorable! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
reno
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Normally, I stay by the ocean and the bugs issues are not seen there. This time I decided to try this Expedia special $188/nt. Night 1, my room was next to the trash dumpster that was full and overflowing with trash. In AM, still full of trash spilling out of the dumpster. I told the desk, she said it was the city trash problem and their pick up times. I think its the amount of trash you put out! She agreed to upgrade my room for $30 extra a night instead of their usual $80 extra, really!?! So i said Ok to get away from the trash. The lake view was very nice, but when I went out at night for 1 minute, heard bug zappers, ran in. Well, that was enough for at least 20 flying bugs to enter. Initially, I thought oh non bitting midges.... oh I was very wrong. After 3 red swollen itchy bites and killing some Mosquitoes who were filled with my blood, I had to figure out how to sleep without them killing me. So I left a light on in the corner to trap them. I am still itching this morning as I write this post to warn others. I even brought fishing rods hearing they have bass in the lake, but am truly fearful as I do not have DEET and note no one else on the lake, probably they know about the Mosquitoes. There are also very nice deck chairs, kayaks for $15 weekdays, and a dock to walk out. All I know is I will never return here despite how wonderful the beds and showers were. The towels and toiletries were very nice. No restaurant on site, but they own the golf club house and restaurant there. We got room service without an extra charge, that was awesome. Parking was free as the Wifi. Gotta love those items, but with so many coastal hotels... I will need to skip this one. Maybe, they can get me back by offering free DEET.

Room Tip: Uh, bring DEET, ask to be away from dumpster.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback pickyreno, and I'm sorry to see you had a less than relaxing experience at the Lakehouse. We are constantly trying new things to battle the bugs that call Lake San Marcos home. The nice thing is that they don't come out during day. This gives our guests a great opportunity to take advantage of the kayaks, fishing and deck chairs. Hopefully we can welcome you back in the Fall when all the midges and friends go into hibernation.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This is my second review of the Lakehouse Hotel and Resort, having stayed there approximately this time of year in 2013. Despite having had a slightly rocky start to my stay, I am very happy to report that the quality is still the same, having had impressive excellent service on all fronts.

Unfortunately, when I checked in the first night, I noticed two cockroaches in different locations in the lakefront room I was assigned (ironically, the same one I stayed in the year before!). When I went back to the front desk to alert them, they were extremely apologetic, taking down the details of where I saw the cockroaches, and assuring me that they would be dealt with swiftly. Meanwhile, since they had two large wedding parties staying, there were no other comparable rooms immediately available. As a stop gap measure, they offered to switch me to a temporary room for the night, and relocate me to a new room the following morning. I accepted their offer and spent the night in a very comfortable room overlooking one of the pools.
The next day, I was away the whole day, and when I arrived that night back at the front desk, ready to collect my luggage to take to the new room (they offered to temporarily my luggage at the front desk, which was very helpful!) and get the keys to the room, they told me that they had already moved my luggage to the new room and instead of walking, would a like a lift in one of their golf carts to take me to the new room! What service!! Having had a very busy day, and feeling tired, I readily accepted.
In the room itself (and sure enough, my luggage was there--and--there was nary a bug to be seen!), there were further great surprises. On the coffee table was a tray of grilled pita bread or tortilla bread triangles (not sure what they were, but they were very tasty!) with a plate of roasted red pepper strips and garlic and a little mason jar of hummus. This was accompanied by a very sweet, hand written note by the General Manager, Erin Beadle, further apologizing for the bugs in my originally assigned room, and assuring me once again that they were looking into the matter to make sure it does not happen again, and offering me a discount for the inconvenience. Now that is what I call superior customer service!

The rest of my stay was delightful. The staff, from housekeeping to front desk, were always polite and professional. I frequently ordered room service from The Grill Restaurant, which always had delicious food, and presented very well!

All in all, I would definitely recommend the Lakehouse Hotel and Resort again. Hey, bugs happen! But the impressive way in which the staff dealt with the situation is the key to making me decide whether to stay there again or to recommend the hotel to others. As someone who is involved in a small business, I am extremely conscious of giving great customer service, and the repercussions that a business (large or small) can have with sub-par service. Fortunately, the staff at Lakehouse Hotel and Resort understand this thoroughly and are willing to go the extra mile for their guests!

P.S. I almost forgot (how could I!) to say that they are still extremely pet friendly! My toy poodle enjoyed the place as much as I did!

Room Tip: The lakefront rooms offer a spectacular view of the lake, and are very relaxing.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Erin B, General Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you ADDS92025 for another positive review of the property. We always love having you here and look forward to a return visit along with the cutest toy poodle EVER. I do want you to know that we have addressed your particular situation and you can be assured that it will never happen again. I'm also glad you enjoyed the hummus, it's my favorite item of the new Grill menu.
Hudsonville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I wanted a special place for our anniversary, especially since I had been away on a trip for a month. We arrived at the Lakehouse and it was far more than I expected. When I mentioned the anniversary celebration upon checking in, the person at the desk gave us a bigger room at no extra charge. It was great! It was peaceful, clean, well-maintained, and a great view. Three different times the staff printed out directions to places of interest. They made the extra effort to see that our needs and desires were met. We hope to go there again, when we come back to the San Diego area.

Room Tip: Choose the lakeside rooms instead of the poolside.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mindanao-kid, I am so glad to see you had a nice anniversary at our property. Hopefully you can make it a tradition and we can welcome you back next year. Every year we are adding to the property and improving the resort experience.

Been to Lakehouse Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!