“Empanadas & Chimichurri” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Argentinean
San Marcos, California
“Empanadas & Chimichurri”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

What a nice treat this place is...I ordered the lunch special caprese empanada and a ham & cheese. The food came out quickly, the taste was delicious and the chimichurri sauce at the table added just the right amount of extra flavors. a must try!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

93% Recommend
San Diego, California
“They might have been having an OFF day.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Our first experience wasn't the best but we figured they must have been having an "off" day. The woman who took our order was so sweet, elegant, and informative about their menu. We came specifically for the grass fed steaks and organic salad. So we both ordered steak. I had medium well and my husband had medium. When we got our steaks they were sooo rare. To the point that we couldn't even cut into them because it was so difficult to tear into the bloody flesh. Oh and the girl that brought our food had no idea which one was which and handed us each others' plates. Anyway, so we sent them back to get finished cooking. And it took a very long time to get them back. The place was busy by this time but usually when a steak is not cooked enough a restaurant will fix it asap. We waited for another 10-15mins. Then the girl brought them out again, and again she had no idea which steak was which. We told her who should get medium and who should get the med well and she said...." I don't know anything about cooking temperatures".. Then put the plates down for us to figure it out. Of course we had to swap plates again. When we finally took the first bite we were hungry and excited to eat! Unfortunately we were disappointed that we couldn't taste any seasoning! Not even basic salt and pepper. So we had to go up and ask for salt and use it liberally. I usually never add anything to a steak when I order from a restaurant so that should say a lot. Maybe they don't use seasonings on meat in Argentinian food??? I honestly don't know. So as we are eating the steaks we both realize that our steaks are now totally over cooked. Mine was well done and his was medium well. But at this point we are just wanting to eat it and get out of there so we did. We definitely plan on going again because we love gras fed beef and organic salads, but our first experience was unpleasant. We hope that our next experience will be much better. When I go back I will edit my review if the experience is better.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, CA
“Olé - Yummé”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My 3rd visit was for dinner yesterday and I tried the Spicy emplanada! It was delicious - and not as hot-spicy as I thought it would be.

They didn't have the skirt steak so I did another steak with salad. The steak was quite large and more rare than medium - the taste was wonderful - soft but still chewy. (I think my teeth are betraying me!!) I would love more of the salad next time - the dressing was perfect. Balsamic, I think.

The fries were speckled with greens and were hot and delicious, too. Last two times I had the sweet potato fries. I don't know what type of sauce is in the table container but sure tasted good with fries and my steak.

If I weren't so full I would have had another empanada. Can you tell I don't remember how to spell it.

• Visited April 2013
San Marcos, California
“Delicious Food and Friendly Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

When Gauchito Grill opened my first thought was do we really need two taco shops side by side? So glad I took the time to read the menu posted outside as it piqued my interest and I returned one day for lunch. My wife and I now make this a weekly retreat to savor the food in a tasteful decor with a glass or two of Malbec and the Argentine music. We often meet other diners from Argentina and Brazil that patronize this restaurant so we know it must be the real thing.

• Visited April 2013
Napa
“Great homemade, fresh food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

The empanadas and sweet potato fries are excellent. We ordered the chicken, beef and blue cheese fillings and they were outstanding. Make sure to open them slowly to prevent burning your mouth.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere