“Delicious hidden gem” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 253 restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Nipomo St.
Description: Mama's Meatball is providing Full service CateringWith nineteen years of experience in restaurant business working directly under some of the most talented catering and wedding chefs in Italy, France, England, Florida, and Southern California, Chef Nicola Allegretta fully understands the significance that food plays in the success of your next catering in San Luis Obispo. From preparation to presentation, he takes pride in providing unique dishes that taste as fabulous as they look, to please even the most discriminating palate.
“Delicious hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was very wary having read a few unkind reviews of this place. But I was pleasantly surprised. Of course we did eat at 5:00, which might make a difference. Excellent meatballs. Everyone at the table tried a pasta dish, and they all were very happy with their orders. I will definitely return.

Visited June 2012

81% Recommend
Fort Myers, Florida
“Mama's does it right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We had six in our party and we all had something different from the menu. Everyone was very pleased and believe me, Mama's meatballs are delicious! They were larger than a golf ball, moist and held together well. This is a small dining area and probably would be best to have reservations. We really enjoyed the entire dinner and desert there. By the way, the creme brulet is wonderful, but everyone said their desert was wonderful.
We would definitely keep this on our restaurant list when visiting SLO!

Visited June 2012
Los Osos CA
“Excellent Pasta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I had the roasted beet salad & spaghetti carbonara and my husband had the asparagus soup & eggplant parmesan and of course we both had tastes of each others food. With drinks under $40. Both meals were excellent and we will be going back. Such a nice surprise, someday we will just go in for one of their desserts and coffee.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dartmouth, Canada
“Went on a whim ... Left With a Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Spent a night (May 9) in the area and craving Italian, weighed our options and thought why not... Mamas. Well we were absolutely overwhelmed by what turned out to be awesome. To be fair, we were told it was a quiet evening by our waiter...

Simply, the food was beyond expectations (I had spaghetti and my wife had manacotti (?)).It far exceeded expectations. Service was great. Price very reasonable. What more can one ask? Oh, we finished it off with a nice walk on a nice night back to our hotel..

I think I heard it described as a hidden gem. Very true. I would recommend to anyone

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Luis Obispo, California
“Simple name, authentic food & great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Arguably one of the best restaurants in San Luis Obispo (I can say this as a local) for the money. Though the simple name can throw you, the food is REALLY good and what you would expect at a high end Italian eatery, but there is nothing stuffy about this place. Kids love it - it is very seriously family style, but nice. Incredible wine list to match and though the space is a bit small and the tables are close together, it is an authentic Italian experience. The wait staff are very well trained and knowlegeable both on the food and how it is prepared, but also on what wines will pare nicely with your selection.

One of my very favorite things about this restaurant is that they have two portion sizes. A small plate and a regular order of many of their house entree specialties. This allows me to watch my intake while not feeling I'm missing out. The soups are fresh and prepared from scratch daily - my favorite is the asparagus. They serve these tiny little garlicy rolls that are to die for, but you won't get them until you get your food ~ or they'd run out of rolls no doubt.

The pizza is so ridiculous, the ravioli de zucca is also sumptuous. My favorite thing is the grilled salmon, served with baby vegetables, it is consistently cooked to perfection. Great selection of desserts as well - including a killer Tiramisu.

Though a little hidden in the old Creamery, it is worth seeking it out ~ you won't be disappointed. Oh ~ did I mention that you can overhear the chefs speaking to each other in Italian in the back? Yeah - good sign!

• Visited January 2012