“Best Chinese Food I've Found” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #149 of 257 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Cuisines: Chinese
Hartsville, South Carolina, United States
“Best Chinese Food I've Found”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

If there's a better Chinese restaurant in SLO or the 5 Cities area, I've yet to find it. I've tried several of their menu items and all have been delicious. I especially enjoy the Shrimp Szechuan Style. They are tucked into the corner of the strip mall at the corner of Madonna Road and Los Oso Valley Rd, but don't let that discourage you.

Visited December 2012

San Luis Obispo, California, United States
“Very good neighborhood Chinese”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Recommended. Tasty and reasonably priced. Multiple visits for dinner always good, Should have gone there instead of Upper Crust.

Visited November 2012
Grover Beach, CA
“Awesome Chinese cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We love this place ... our favorite place to have Chinese ... been here 3 times in the last couple of months. Best egg flower soup and green beans. Crisp vegetables in dishes and tender meat ... even the sweet and sour which tends to be tough at most other restaurants. Great service too!

Visited September 2012
Atascadero, California
“good chinese food in a comfortable spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Located in the Laguna shopping center at corner of Los Osos Rd. & Madonna Road in the northeast corner. I eat here a lot because my teen son loves chinese food. Things change and the city used to have many very good chinese restaurants, but as sushi and Thai have become more popular the chinese restaurants have gone out of business. Golden Gong is still there, but is awful. This restaurant still has the 1980's decor with light oak, mauve and blue, which should all be replaced and upgraded as it is nearly 30 year old decor! They did finally replace the worn tabletops about 3 years ago and they are granite, but they don't match the old mauve/blue decor of everything else. They have some cute asian accents though & the restaurant could be really nice if they would just update the look.

The fried rice is excellent. The soups are usually good, hot and sour & egg drop soup are best, but they also offer wonton. They also serve a large bowl of Viet Nam soup called Pho. It is usually beef in a thin broth and they bring you bean sprouts, and other stuff that you put into the soup yourself & it cooks as you stir it around. Their food is usually pretty good, I had one problem a few months ago and I told the waiter that one item was really bad & was not cooked the way it normally is. They give you free hot tea, and afterward a fortune cookie for each of you.

I advise you go for lunch any day except Sunday (they only serve dinner menu at lunch on Sunday), or Monday, when they are closed. Dinner is expensive, about $12.95 and up and I don't like to pay that much per person when I take my kids out to dinner. Give it a try. They always seem short handed with not enough wait staff so it is hard to get your water glass filled, get togo containers, or the bill.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Davis, California
“Good Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We decided to try some Chinese food for lunch while visiting San Luis Obispo. We found this place with our GPS, and knew nothing about it. The restaurant is located in the back corner of a shopping center.

Upon arrival, we were promptly greeted and seated right away. It was 2:00 PM on a Saturday so it was not very busy. My wife ordered sweet and sour pork, and I got the Kung Pao Chicken from the lunch menu. Each lunch came with fried rice, a spring roll, cream cheese Wonton, and a choice of soups. We both ordered the Wonton soup, which was quite good. She also tried the Thai Iced Tea, which she said was good. Our main courses arrived and they filled the plates. We shared each other's entrees, but I definited preferred my Kung Pao Chicken.

The food was fresh, the service was good, and the portion was plentiful. I would definitely recommend the Mandarin Gourmet Restaurant if you are looking for a tasty Chinese meal. The price was a little higher than I liked for a lunch menu, but the food was certainly worth it.

Enjoy!