“Too Many Other Choices” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
FORT WAYNE
“Too Many Other Choices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

You get what you pay for. Quick overnight in SLO for a conference with trying to keep costs low. Initially tried to charge me double the reservation quote. Manager argued with me about the reservation, giving me a break on their price, yet still $20 above the quote.
Noisy area with lots of coming & goings of less than desirable looking patrons. Bag stolen out of my car as I was packing to leave. Take the 8 minute drive to the 5 cities area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

I have stayed in many motels and hotels over my 60 years.. and I am not spoiled and have stayed in motel 6 before, they are clean enough, have hot water and altho the towels are very small... its just fine for an overnight in and out stay. We checked in in the evening and I asked if there was room for the next night as well, as we didnt know if we were going to stay in SLO, the woman said, sure, just come in before 10:30 tomorrow am. which I did. A different person said, absolutely no way you can have that room, but you can have another room. OK says I , should we move stuff now? NO, there is someone inthe room.. well says I we are going out, what should I do.. he says come back before 6. We are back at 3:30 and they are wheeling our stuff out in a little cart... I go in and manager says he heard my conversation in the morning and the guy asked me to pay and I didnt. Truly this is a lie... and he got so revoltingly officious and pompous " I dont want to have a discussion with you".. really I am person who never had an overdue library book. If they would have asked me to pay I would have. they had my credit card Really I was insulted , but amused. and off we went to the Embassy Suites for $185 ..
also I went early for the coffee at 6:15 am and it was all gone.
DOnt stay here.

Room Tip: three are no good rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Dirty rooms, we got a non-smoking room that smelled of cigarettes, with trash under the edges of the bed. Room service didn't change out towels or bedsheets while we were there for three days. We had to pay for internet service, 3 bucks a night, and it barely worked, decent reception, but kept on resetting the connection, almost unusable. Go somewhere else. I've been to the Motel 6 south, and we didn't have any of these issues there.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

smooth check-in and check-out..nice comfy clean room..would stay again..no worries

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is typical of the "old style" Motel 6 -in short, a dump.

Dirty carpets, torn drapes, a mattress where you could feel the springs. Lately Motel 6 has been trying to upgrade their properties. Although this was a supposedly "remodeled" room, the only thing changed was the bedspread. The rest was really bad. This place is one step up from sleeping in your car.

My husband and I have learned that if you have to stay in Motel 6 in SLO, bring your own sheets and towels. This was a rush trip and we didn't bring them this time; what a mistake!
When we woke in the morning we both felt itchy, maybe it was the soap they use on the sheets, or maybe it was something I don't want to think about.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Bakersfield, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

The service to check in was very very slow. It took my husband about 20 minutes. A bunch of people who were having a party near our room decided they would have a social gathering right outside our door. We had to walk past everyone smoking and drinking to get to our room and we had our children with us. The walls our very thin, so we would have been listening to these people all night. My husband went up to request another room...and they gladly moved us (took another 20 minutes). The rooms are very dull, which is fine because the price is cheap. But, I could not sleep on these beds! They were soooooo hard, it was like sleeping on the floor! No joke. So, if you do not mind slow service, noicy hotel party scene, and very firm beds....maybe this hotel is for you.

Room Tip: Away from the pool, or you will have lots of noise
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I have always considered Motel 6 a bare bones but very clean and well run type of budget hotel. My stay there last weekend certainly proved me wrong. I was exhausted after a very long day, went to sleep in my room and had a terrible nights sleep. I awoke frequently but didn't really put it all together until the morning - when I awoke, threw back the covers to find black bed bugs every where and on me. I was horrified. The staff barely apologized. I had to throw away most of my clothes, luggage and have itchy bites all over my body. Do not stay here. If one room is infested I am sure many more are.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Motel 6 San Luis Obispo North? Share your experiences!