“Great stop over!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
UK
“Great stop over!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

We stayed here for one night in September 2008 as the half way point of our drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Location:
Not sure - great location for us as a mid-way point, but seemed a little way out of town. This wasn't a problem for us because we were staying for one night and the purpose of our stay was to see the quirky hotel!

Issues:
None

Positives:
The hotel is very quirky and over the top. For some this may be a problem but our friends recommended staying here simply because of this, and we enjoyed it too.

Restaurant:
The restaurant is very over the top, pink leather booths and lots of ornamental decoration, chandeliers etc. Food was very good and fulfilling - don't make the mistake we did and order starters and a main if you also agree to having the bread and salad. My girlfriend had filet mignon - the steak was perfect! Prices were reasonable too.

Room:
We stayed in the "love nest" which had a cupola, large bed, a sofa and armchairs. The rooms was a little tired, but very spacious and comfortable, and quiet.

Spa:
The spa was being opened a few days after our visit, so I can't comment on it.

Other comments:
I'd recommend staying here simply for fun - you can't take it too seriously; some of the rooms have waterfall showers and are designed to look like caves. We plan to go back this summer, this time in a different room. If you do stay for more than one night, it's probably worth seeing if you can have a different room, simply because they're all so different.

• Liked — Interesting rooms and restaurant
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

The Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo was a suprise stop that my dad has decided to make on our roap trip of California, the inspiration for this was that he had stayed there the year previous.

It was around 8p.m when we arrived, parked fine and went to the restaurant. After a long day of driving i decided to go to the bathroom, where i was treated too a spectacle of 3 women taking photographs of the men's urinal (It is an art-deco peice)

When i was seated in the over the top, restaurant, where we over payed for a sub-standard meal. We then went to the rooms which were, too hot (A/C was busted).

For the price we paid we could have spent an extra night in the signiture in las vegas, and not killing ourselves to get SLO to stay in the less than repeutable Madonna Inn.

• Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hayward, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

As a young girl I always begged my family to stop by the Madonna Inn but now that I am older I was able to stop by the Madonna Inn for breakfast on my way to Southern California. I am 20 year old Pacific Islander Female and on my way to Newport Beach, CA for my boyfriend's 22nd birthday.
We decided to eat at the Copper Cafe. When you entered it looks exactly like the pictures.

Unfortunately.....
As we waited to be seated after 5 minutes, which at the time was not so busy at all we decided to just be patient and wait. Finally, we were seated by this elderly lady, short wavy hair with glasses. Mind you, the restaurant was a good size and barely full. I was very excited to sit down and eat until I realized where we were seated. I am a very patient person and usually let things go if it really isn't a big deal. But this time it was different. Out of the about the 25 tables in the restaurant in which only about 6 were filled we were seated at the table right next to the kitchen, where the doors slammed as the food was brought in and out. I always tend to keep a positive attitude but never in my life have I felt this way, ever. I don't know what it was, because as we were waiting to be seated we didn't complain and just waited to be seated since that is what the sign said. As much as I don't want to say this nor believe this it felt like it was a matter of my skin color and if not that, it was my age. I told myself as I was holding back my tears to just suck it up and enjoy our time there, after all it was my boyfriends birthday weekend and I wasn't going to let that bring me down even though he felt the same way.

In all honesty, I believe I should have just simply been asked to move tables but I didn't. Other than that, the food was decent and our waiter was kind. I just hope that no one has to experience that ever in their life.

Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Coomera, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

Our family (incl 10yo & 13yo boys) spent one night here on our travels. Our son discovered it from a tv travel show & researched it on the internet. The place is like a giant dolls house and whilst trying to describe it might sound a bit kitsch, it was unbelieveable. Every room is individually decorated to a theme - we stayed in the Safari Room. There was plenty of space but no fridge (not an issue for an overnighter). The shower was like a rock waterfall. The grounds were huge and the hotel is set into a rock face on the side of a hill, which makes for a dramatic back drop. The rooms were very clean and quiet. A short walk along a paved path up the hill (only a gentle slope and easily accessed) leads to the pool and spa area. The area overlooks the valley and the freeway, but there is no noise generated by the traffic. A waterfall and seating area made for a peacefull and cool spot to sit and relax, and the pool itself is a good size, with a walk-in "beach" entrance.
There is a cafe, shop and restauarant on site. The food was excellent as was the service. We had dinner in the Gold Rush Steakhouse, which is a must do, whether staying at the Madonna Inn or not. The decore is all pink, but it works, believe it or not! A complimentary appetsier platter is delivered to the table upon seating and there is a good choice of dishes to suit most tastes - steak, chicken, seafood, pizza, vegetarian, etc. There is a bar area as well as a dance floor and stage adjoining the restaurant. We were treated to a (obviously local) group dancing to swing music - it created a fantastic atmosphere both whilst dining and then after the meal simply watching them go through their paces.
Breakfast was at the cafe, and again, a good range to choose from and large servings, along with bottomless coffee. All the staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and helpful, stopping for a chat, but not being obtrusive.
The whole experience was very enjoyable the the kids loved it - deciding it was one of the best places they have stayed at. We highly recommend the Madonna Inn for a stopover if you are travelling through San Luis Obispo - it's an experience you won't forget!

• Liked — The whole theme throughout the hotel
  • Disliked — We had no negatives
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

1 night stay on the way up the coastal highway. Need to stay for longer next time. Choose your room, all individually decorated in quirky styles! Great! Dinner in the restaurant is worth staying in for and a dance after dinner rounds off the evening.

• Liked — The rooms - check them out online!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Northern CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

The Madonna Inn was a fun and unique experience. We stayed in the Caveman Room and it was amazing. The room was stone, floor to ceiling, including a few jutting stones that server as shelves. The animal print bedspread and curtains added to the theme, as did the hide covered chair and ottoman. There was even a waterfall activated by a switch.

As amazing as the room was, the bathroom was even more impressive. The only “normal” part of the room was the toilet. The room also featured a large shower with a conventional showerhead (and VERY powerful water pressure) plus a full overhead waterfall. The sink was also a waterfall, and there was even a waterfall urinal! The bathroom also featured a stained glass window featuring a caveman.

It was a fun place to spend a night, but overall the practicality of the room would have been difficult to tolerate for more than one night. The stone floor was very uneven and the waterfall shower was impossible to fully contain so the bathroom floor was VERY wet after a shower. The waterfall sink was also difficult to use in a normal way. The towels were also very utilitarian, possibly even dating to the inn's earliest days.

The room was quiet and comfortable overall, however.

• Liked — Unique and thematic
  • Disliked — a bit impractical
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

This was our 2nd trip to the Madonna Inn. First one was 35 years ago, so some things have changed. Obviously, our room had been renovated-the picture didn't do it justice. Everyone was very nice. We had complimentary champagne with an attached Happy Anniversary balloon. The room was clean and pretty quiet. Basically, we didn't have any problems. The bathtub was a little too long for soaking, but was glad to have a bathtub instead of a shower. They have added a spa and beautiful swimming pool with a waterfall. Didn't have the chance to try them, but they looked very clean and well kept. There was a lamp in the room that needs to be fixed, leaned quite a bit. Otherwise, room was what we expected and was glad they now have color TV. Only negative: I had the impression that local calls (within the area code) were free. I made 2 calls and was charged $9 and $11 for each call. I think they should tell you exactly how much each call will be before you make them. Overall we had a pleasant stay.

• Liked — Cleaniness of room
  • Disliked — Phone charges
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Madonna Inn? Share your experiences!