“Wait Wait...no one tells you about....The Heated toilet seats!” 5 of 5 stars

Madonna Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Madonna Road, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
royal oaks
“Wait Wait...no one tells you about....The Heated toilet seats!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Yes that's right heated toilet seats. Stopped in on a whim on the way home from Gemala beach.
It was dark and the place was all lit up. Nice lady at front desk gave us a big book and a list of rooms they were available. The book had photos of all the rooms. took what we thought was the best of what was left. Got to the room after caring every thing in and took in the vistual asalt. And sat down on the seat and wow that feels nice. Fallowed by the cool whats this button do?
They have a live band 6 nights a week some times 7. Just fantastic. Oh and the best pancakes I have ever eaten that next morning.

Room Tip: if the pool is your thing then its heated nice and warm even at night and it has two hot tubs one is...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us! The heated bidets are such a neat feature that we are happy to offer. Hopefully we will see you again to try out another themed room!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I've driven by this place since I was a kid and always wanted to stay. It's better than expected. The 50s kitsch is impeccable. The place is still run by the original family, and I would love to know where they get the replacements for refurbishment. Everything is spotless - it feels like you just walked into the mid century. Nightly dancing (swing, jazz) and music, great bar, wonderful pool - away from any rooms, so reasonable hours. Loved this place! The pictures on their website do it justice, which is rare. The one slight bummer is that you can't choose your specific room, although they do take requests. We've always been happy with the surprise!

Room Tip: You can't actually choose the specific room, which is kind of a bummer - but we've so far al...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Madonna Inn exceeded my expectations. I knew the decor was going to be kitschy, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it also clean, luxurious, AND kitschy. The photos just can't do the rea thing justice. The rooms are really something worth experiencing if you have a fun spirit and willingness to stay somewhere that isn't a cookie cutter standard hotel.

Luxury touches include those Japanese toilet functions, lovely showers, resort style pool, and first rate customer service.

I appreciate that the "room service" options are reasonably priced, even though it's more like delivery take out than traditional room service.

I didn't do the horseback riding or use the tennis courts, but I'm sure it would be fun given the fun spirit of everything else.

My one complaint is that the walls are thin and you can hear all the merriment had from neighbors.

Room Tip: Research the rooms on the website to try to book the exact room you want. If you have accessibility...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
It was our pleasure to exceed your expectations and thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on the inn. I enjoy discussing the small details of the rooms with our guests, most of which don't show in the photos so I'm happy you appreciated the decor! We hope to welcome you again!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at the Madonna Inn. My room (Rose Room) wasn't quite as unique as I had hoped, but it was large and comfortable. The facilities were nice, the food solid and staff accommodating. The restaurants were packed on Saturday night, so I'd recommend reservations if you want to eat there. The pink champagne cake was quite delicious.

It's definitely worth a 1 night stay as you wind you way up/down California. I recommend checking out the Sunset Drive-in movie theater just a mile or so away as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here for one night in The Rock Room but wish it had been more!

Truly amazing experience and a wonderful concept for a hotel.

The atmosphere was great, only downfall was the price of the restaurant and it is the only place to eat. However the food was amazing.

If I am out this way again then I would definitely stay here for longer and make use of the pool facilities which unfortunately we missed out on due to our own travel times.

Room Tip: Go for a themed room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My mother and I recently spent 2 weeks driving the California coast from San Francisco to Los Angeles and back. When preparing for this trip I spent many hours on this site reviewing accommodations knowing that tripadvisor never steers me wrong. I can honestly say that the reviewers have once again come through for me - every single hotel/motel/inn I booked was amazing.

Our stay at the Madonna Inn was one of the highlights! A couple of points:

Booking: I booked online; it was quick and easy. You can also view all of the rooms on their website prior to booking and make a special request and if available, they will accommodate you.

Check-in/Check out: It was a little busy at check-in but we didn't wait long. Staff was super friendly. We were approx. 3 hours early but we were able to kill time at the pool/spa.

Lobby: Welcoming; Glitzy and Pink!. There are pamphlets available which give you more info on things to do at the Madonna Inn. There are also postcards of each room available. We were given 2 of them, free, when we checked out.

Rooms: We were in "Captain's Bridge" which was a ground level room. There are no elevators that I am aware of so if you have mobility issues you may want to check when booking as some rooms were only accessible by a winding staircase. The room we were in was very spacious, clean and the bathroom was gorgeous! There were 2 sinks so there was enough room for all of our stuff. Beds were comfortable and we found that it was nice and quiet at night.

Restaurants: Since we were there on New Year's Eve we weren't able to dine in the steakhouse as there was a special dinner going on but we did eat dinner and breakfast in the Copper Cafe. We found the food to be excellent and the staff was outstanding. Very attentive to our needs, always making sure we had water and providing updates on the status of our meals. The desserts are to die for but make sure you get there early - they tend to run out of things as the day progresses.

Parking: We had a ground floor room and were able to park right in front; parking was free.

Miscellaneous: As I stated earlier we managed to spend time at the Pool and SPA before we checked in. We didn't use the pool but the pool area was beautiful with a relaxing waterfall. The pool deck was clean, lots of chairs, and had a great pool bar where I had a great smoothie. The SPA was INCREDIBLE! The staff were extremely friendly and patient with all of our questions. It was a very relaxing and quiet environment which was welcomed after a long day of driving. The massage itself was one of the best I had. My mother had a facial and she too, said it was an amazing experience and one of the best she's had. What a wonderful way for us to pamper ourselves.

And yes, as other reviews have stated you need to check out the Men's Restroom below the Steakhouse (next to the Gourmet Gift Shop). The waterfall is a must-see.

Overall, would definitely recommend to others and would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We did a little roadtrip on pacific coast Highway from San Diego to San Francisco so I was very excited to be able to stay here on the way, I have been wanting to go for years, seeing my friends photos and a particular friend raving about the place, how right she was, it is beautiful, very girly and a lot of fun!

We booked through Booking and e-mailed them to ask for a specific room, they e-mailed us back very fast and told us which were the rooms left so we chose Paris Violets (upon my friends recommendation) and we loved it! The decor is just so beautifully kitsch and girly, there is a little space outside of the bathroom for make-up, perfect for us two girls!
Beds and bathrobes were big and comfy.
On the walls you have a Parisian themed wallpaper and frames with lightened up Paris.
The Bathroom has a nice bath tub with very hot water, a delight.

We were there on the 25th of December and had dinner at the Steak house restaurant, because of the busy day we didn't get to eat in the pretty pink booths but the food was really good, took a while to arrive, waitress very friendly and helpful.
We also had breakfast at the café, food was very good, quick service and of course a beautiful decor. We bought a slice of Toffee cake for the road, which was excellent, you have to try them.

The pool is just paradise, with two hot jacuzzis around, the view, the mountains, it was pure bliss.

I will go back one day and stay longer! Thank you for the lovely experience!

Room Tip: We loved our Paris Violet room, if you are undecided choose this one, you will not be dissappinted.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Madonna Inn? Share your experiences!