“So Over-The-Top You Can't Help But Love it!” 5 of 5 stars

Madonna Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Madonna Road, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #8 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
Windsor, Canada
“So Over-The-Top You Can't Help But Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My mother and I recently spent 2 weeks driving the California coast from San Francisco to Los Angeles and back. When preparing for this trip I spent many hours on this site reviewing accommodations knowing that tripadvisor never steers me wrong. I can honestly say that the reviewers have once again come through for me - every single hotel/motel/inn I booked was amazing.

Our stay at the Madonna Inn was one of the highlights! A couple of points:

Booking: I booked online; it was quick and easy. You can also view all of the rooms on their website prior to booking and make a special request and if available, they will accommodate you.

Check-in/Check out: It was a little busy at check-in but we didn't wait long. Staff was super friendly. We were approx. 3 hours early but we were able to kill time at the pool/spa.

Lobby: Welcoming; Glitzy and Pink!. There are pamphlets available which give you more info on things to do at the Madonna Inn. There are also postcards of each room available. We were given 2 of them, free, when we checked out.

Rooms: We were in "Captain's Bridge" which was a ground level room. There are no elevators that I am aware of so if you have mobility issues you may want to check when booking as some rooms were only accessible by a winding staircase. The room we were in was very spacious, clean and the bathroom was gorgeous! There were 2 sinks so there was enough room for all of our stuff. Beds were comfortable and we found that it was nice and quiet at night.

Restaurants: Since we were there on New Year's Eve we weren't able to dine in the steakhouse as there was a special dinner going on but we did eat dinner and breakfast in the Copper Cafe. We found the food to be excellent and the staff was outstanding. Very attentive to our needs, always making sure we had water and providing updates on the status of our meals. The desserts are to die for but make sure you get there early - they tend to run out of things as the day progresses.

Parking: We had a ground floor room and were able to park right in front; parking was free.

Miscellaneous: As I stated earlier we managed to spend time at the Pool and SPA before we checked in. We didn't use the pool but the pool area was beautiful with a relaxing waterfall. The pool deck was clean, lots of chairs, and had a great pool bar where I had a great smoothie. The SPA was INCREDIBLE! The staff were extremely friendly and patient with all of our questions. It was a very relaxing and quiet environment which was welcomed after a long day of driving. The massage itself was one of the best I had. My mother had a facial and she too, said it was an amazing experience and one of the best she's had. What a wonderful way for us to pamper ourselves.

And yes, as other reviews have stated you need to check out the Men's Restroom below the Steakhouse (next to the Gourmet Gift Shop). The waterfall is a must-see.

Overall, would definitely recommend to others and would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

837 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We did a little roadtrip on pacific coast Highway from San Diego to San Francisco so I was very excited to be able to stay here on the way, I have been wanting to go for years, seeing my friends photos and a particular friend raving about the place, how right she was, it is beautiful, very girly and a lot of fun!

We booked through Booking and e-mailed them to ask for a specific room, they e-mailed us back very fast and told us which were the rooms left so we chose Paris Violets (upon my friends recommendation) and we loved it! The decor is just so beautifully kitsch and girly, there is a little space outside of the bathroom for make-up, perfect for us two girls!
Beds and bathrobes were big and comfy.
On the walls you have a Parisian themed wallpaper and frames with lightened up Paris.
The Bathroom has a nice bath tub with very hot water, a delight.

We were there on the 25th of December and had dinner at the Steak house restaurant, because of the busy day we didn't get to eat in the pretty pink booths but the food was really good, took a while to arrive, waitress very friendly and helpful.
We also had breakfast at the café, food was very good, quick service and of course a beautiful decor. We bought a slice of Toffee cake for the road, which was excellent, you have to try them.

The pool is just paradise, with two hot jacuzzis around, the view, the mountains, it was pure bliss.

I will go back one day and stay longer! Thank you for the lovely experience!

Room Tip: We loved our Paris Violet room, if you are undecided choose this one, you will not be dissappinted.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I brought my daughters over to check it out on our way through SLO. My husband and I stayed here before. They have added alot of new things in the last few years. My girls thought the gift shop and restaurant were amazing - I had to literally drag them out of the restaurant. They took tons of photos and bought postcards of their favorite rooms from the gift shop. We also drove up to where the pool and spa center are. The pool is one of those with the edge like the beach where it just gradually gets deeper but there's not a pool lip. Totally fun to come and take pictures and walk through the restaurants/public areas.

When my husband and I stayed here, we stayed in the Matterhorn room. Loved the balcony that overlooked the field where the horses graze. We ate in the cafe for breakfast and in the steakhouse one of the nights. The steakhouse food was good but a bit pricey. We expected that and budgeted accordingly.

Room Tip: Check out their website for pictures of the rooms and the features.
Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hooksett, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with a "mystery ride" and room reservation at the Madonna Inn!!! He booked us the Rock Under room, a comfortable, updated Flinstone room...it was amazing...felt like we were Fred & Wilma...but with heat, coffee, tv, etc.! We had fun, the place was decked out for the holidays, had a wonderful steak dinner...everything was great and would love to come back and bring the children. A fun, relaxing getaway for all!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Always wanted to stay here, finally checked it off my list!

The restaurants: We had a buffet style meal for a large party we were with in the Venetian room downstairs. Nice enough ambience. Felt like we were at a wedding. Food was fair, Sort of typical of any other generic wedding style buffet. Certainly not worth what we paid for it (55/person not including alcohol). Servers were scarce (could not get a cup of coffee to save my life) and the bartender didn't know how to make basic drinks very well.

The regular restaurant is over the top cool - you've seen the pictures! We didn't eat in there though. There was a band playing bad 80's music in the good sized bar. Large dance floor and people were making use of it. This place is a little bit mazelike with the bar, restaurant, private party areas, and a few shops all in one multi level building.

The coffee shop was good. I might actually give the food 4 stars in there but the service was sort of bad which annoyed me for the price. They were understaffed. Love the crazy decor though. Cost us 60 bucks for a very basic breakfast for two adults and two kids, no drinks other than coffee. There is an Ihop down the street for the cost conscious visitor, just sayin'.

The grounds: the hotel is located in a beautiful area. Right at the foot of some hills. Nice area to walk around. They have horseback riding too and there was anice rink when we were there. There is a pool, we didn't check it out but the woman at the desk said they heat it to 85 degrees F which is nice. I also noticed tennis courts. In general, there are lots of day trips you can make using this place as a base (wine tasting, hiking, shopping, beaches, etc.) so you can either find things to do at the hotel or get in the car and explore a little. The was ample parking and you could probably park a trailer in their overflow lot if you needed to.

The room: Ok, so this is why people stay at this place. You've never been in a hotel room like some of these, seriously! We stayed in the Old Mill room. Two big beds, a water feature (mill thing that runs, but you can switch it off), big room, kid friendly. My kids especially enjoyed the bidet feature on the toilet, you don't see that much in the US! His n hers sinks plus another sink which we used as a wet bar! No view. Glitter wallpaper. Desk made of rock. In general, old, but clean and kept up. Looked like it had probably been redone relatively recently.

It's really hard to compare it to any normal hotel because it's just not a normal hotel. We also looked at a couple of other rooms--all along the same lines as ours: old, clean, lots of personality. Really fastidious types might find it little dated for their taste. I know my mom wouldn't like it, it would seem weird and old to her. But if you find funky stuff cool, you'll like it.

I didn't notice ambient noise from other rooms, seemed quiet. If you go, it's worth the splurge to get one of the cooler rooms-they are all very well documented on their website. Note that if climbing stairs is a problem for you, you need to talk to the hotel as a lot of the rooms appear to be stair access only.

Overall, a fun and unique place to go either as a trip in itself or a stop on a trip up or down the a California coast.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I know the title is a little narcisistic, but its actually a really fun place to go. The cake is incredible, you have to try it. Also the decorations are what make the place. Well worth a visit for anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Roamed the halls of the Madonna Inn (didn't stay there) but it was decorated to the brim and festooned with anything & everything pink if and when possible! Also visited their gift shops on the basement and third floor to find a magnet to fit the Madonna's kitsch along with some gifts for friends. Great place to visit but not sure about the crazy themed rooms I've heard about...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Madonna Inn? Share your experiences!