“A Fantastic Wedding if you spend your money wisely!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Madonna Road, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“A Fantastic Wedding if you spend your money wisely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

We got married here on 3rd June 2008 and it was wonderful. There were 14 of us in total, staying in the Vintage, Cabin Still, Pony Room, Desert Sands and we had the enormous Austrian Suite. We got a reduction by booking online and when we asked if we could have our wedding in the hotel, they said as long as we had our dinner in the restaurant, we could get married anywhere we liked! How many places just see you as walking dollar signs when they hear the word `wedding'? Not the Madonna!

We didn't decide where to get married until three hours before, and did the deed up in the gazeebo by the pool, which was lovely (although we should have told them to turn the waterfall down as we couldn't hear a thing!). Dinner for 14 in the dining room (excellent steak and the house wine - and the Champagne cake for $25 which tastes a lot nicer than it looks!, and then onto the stage for bouquet-throwing and photo-taking! The staff were lovely, and even brought the radio from the kitchen so we could have some music. The waitress tuned the radio in and there was a dedication to `Heather' which was `Loving You' by Minnie Ripperton. What a romantic coincidence!

Then back to the suite for dancing. We got tons of good local wine from the liquor store, and were left to our own devices! The pool was lovely to chill out the following day. Great fun.

I would agree with the other comments about the restaurant though. If you want to wait hours for an overpriced breakfast, you'll love it. Go into SLO, there are lots of good places to eat.

So, if you get married on a Tuesday, know what you want and like to be left alone by hotel staff, then this is the one for you!

• Liked — the space, and the flexibility
  • Disliked — the overpriced breakfast!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

I was booked into the Caveman room which was absolutely the most unique room I have stayed in. However the water fall shower was more like two hoses pointing at each other and spraying water in all directions. There was no bottled water available to buy in the room or on the location, no room service and not a tap in sight to even fill a glass with.
We booked dinner in the steak house and spent a fortune eating bland steaks and frozen vegetables.
The next morning we were woken at 6.45AM by the sound of drilling, sawing and hammering. There is a note at check out saying that there is construction within limited hours but I certainly don't consider 6.45AM limited. When the receptionist asked me how our stay was I told her it was not good, her response was "Oh dear, feel free to take a complimentary postcard on your way out"!!!!! I was so shocked I just left without saying a word.

• Liked — The unique rooms
  • Disliked — The terrible service and attitude
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Madonna_Management, Madonna Inn Management at Madonna Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2008
Madonna Inn takes great pride in offering superior service in a unique and hospitable environment. Drink vending machines are conveniently located around the hotel rooms and bottled water is also available for purchase in the Reservation Office. We are currently under soft renovations with 75% of the room renovations complete and we strive to have the remainder finished by the end of 2008. During this process, it has been our sincere intentions to insure that these improvements do not affect the stay of our guests. Many of our new facilities have been completed and we are extremely proud of our new additions to the resort. The European style pool & fitness room, which opened in September 2007, has been well received by our guests. In July 2008 we unveiled our latest addition, The SPA at Madonna Inn. The SPA offers massage and facials for singles as well as couples. A menu of spa treatments can be found at our website, along with new photos of the rooms, pool and fitness room. We want to thank our many guests that have been exceptionally understanding during this transitional period.
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

I was soooo looking forward to this place and we had a bad stay.

The staff were, for the most part, rude. we ate in the steak restaurant and received terrible service. I did not like our table so asked that we be moved. the restaurant was 90% empty at this point yet the hostess acted like I was annoying her and showed us the only other table we could possibly have which was stuck in the center of the room and at an uncomfortable angle. we took it anyway. Then our meal took 1 hour! we ordered two French steaks medium rare - t1 hour? I asked the waitress what happened and she then immediately brought our steaks out. I am thinking she forgot about us...after all we were at this really weird table and easy to overlook!. There goes $100 for an annoying meal.

The room was $275 a night! and although they were funny - (we stayed in barrel of fun and irish hills ) I dont think they were worth the price. at $100 maybe, but for almost $300 ?I really felt like a sucker - I love tacky decor as much as the next guy however there was something about this place that felt unauthentic to me. Like they were trying too hard If you know what I mean.

Then check out time came (we canceled our third night) and they presented us with our bill- except the bill did not have a total? I asked what the total was and the receptionist kept talking around the issue- "Oh yes its confusing, you see this is your deposit and this is....bla bla" finally I said do you have a calculator? and she turned hers around for me to start calculating for myself!!

I had to reach over the counter and start tallying. Of course it was one of those confusing calculators with the paper... I did get somewhere though and the numbers did add up. What the heck? a bill with no total? is that too much to ask?

Really - believe me. Stay near by someplace then go have a drink in the tacky bar at madonna inn to soak up the ambiance. Later on use your saved $$$ to have a really nice meal at one of the neighboring towns good restaurants. We ate at Novo in SOL and it was nice and reasonable. We sat on a terrace overlooking a river bed.

• Liked — I really tried but I cant come up with anything!
  • Disliked — The snotty hostess at the $100 steak dinner.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

My wife & I stayed at this hotel while making the trek down the Pacific Coast Highway from SF to LA back in February. I knew we were just passing through the area, so I figured this would be an interesting place to hang our hats for the evening.

After reviewing their many choices for rooms on their website, we decided that the Cave Room was the most unique offering and I have to tell you, we weren't disappointed. I've never seen anything like it before. The walls, the floors, the ceiling - all rock. Even the sink is made of rock. The most interesting feature is the waterfall shower. There's nothing quite like bathing under a waterfall in a solid rock shower.

They also have an restaurant on site that serves a good breakfast and has a large bakery selection available.

All in all, I'd say it's not a place to stay for a few days, and I'm not even sure you'll like it, but try it out, you probably won't ever stay anywhere else like it.

• Liked — It's unique. I'll never forget it.
  • Disliked — It's small and when you take a shower, the water gets all over the whole room!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

I was so excited to finally stay here. For years I've thought what a wonderful hotel this would be after stopping there to eat lunch on long road trips.

My husband and I made our reservations and only a few rooms were left. We were assigned the "Pioneer Room" The second we walked in I gasped. It looked like an ax murderer cabin, and was complete with a gun on the wall. There were windows all around us and we were on the corner on the first floor. I immediately felt like we would not last the night and even contemplated just losing our money, checking out and heading over to another nearby hotel.

Instead I called the front desk to change rooms and we ended up with the psycho circus room. The walls were bright green - with multicolored wooden animals on the walls. They were very cheaply done, and the room itself smelled like feces. It was however on the third floor, and I didn't feel like we would be killed in our sleep, so we aired out the room and dealt with it.

The cost was also more than our original room, but I value my life more than my comfort.

We had dinner in the cafe downstairs, and our waitress was very odd. When my husband asked her for a steak knife for his steak she replied rudely with "our steaks should be tender enough that you don't need a knife." The steak was gushing blood as my husband couldn't even eat it anyways. My chicken sandwich was a plain piece of chicken with two slices of bread on it, no sauce or anything.

Our water glasses were severely chipped and when we asked for new ones we received a rude reponse from the original waiter.

We did have breakfast at the hotel since we wanted to hit the road early. Breakfast was actually good. The service was good and so was the food.

This place is fine to stop and have breakfast - but other than that - a horrible time.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — there were so many bad things that happened
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Felton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

My husband and I finally got a chance to stay at the famous Madonna Inn. We stayed in Room 164 the Merry room 2nd floor.
I'm going to start with the CON's first:

Con's:
Check in was quick but a little too quick for my liking. I wanted to see if any other rooms were available but the desk clerk seemed to want to rush me through the whole check in process.

Wedding was going on and as weddings go some fighting broke out on the second floor by the Merry room.

For being a little pricey the room needed a bit more amenities.
Carpet very thin. Bathroom for some reason had the coffee maker in there? Towels are pretty but very hard. I would like to see in the room a mini bar or some type of welcome basket. This would add a nice touch to the room. Room also had a strange smell almost musty smelling?

Pro's

Nice pool, Steakhouse has excellent service and food.
Romantic ambience.

My husband and I would probably stay there again but would like a better room. I would not reccomend the Merry Room

• Liked — Hotel's uniqueness
  • Disliked — Strange smell in room and the price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

I have stayed here a few times and it was okay but this last time it was especially horrible. The main issue was the people working there were slow and rude.
The bill is hard to understand and the man I talked to to help me was stuck up and thought I just wanted something out of it. I did'nt!!!! I just wanted to make sense of my bill.
Don't stay here if you like customer service, besides the whole themed room thing is over rated. Go to party city and decorate your own room, it's alot cheaper!!!!

Stayed May 2008

Been to Madonna Inn? Share your experiences!