“California's Best Themed Hotel?” 4 of 5 stars

You added Madonna Inn to your Saves list
Madonna Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Madonna Road, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Bradford, West Yorkshire
“California's Best Themed Hotel?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We visited from the UK on a roadtrip from San Diego to San Francisco. We had read about the hotel online and thought it sounded fun and it was certainly that! We stayed in the Swiss Chalet room, which did feel just like being in a ski lodge, despite the fact that we were in California in the middle of August! Loved the ambience and decor in the room, and the bathroom with the two sinks was a great touch. We also ate in the restaurant which was just as cool and our drinks were served in goblets which wouldn't have looked out of place in the Wizard of Oz! All in all, a fabulous experience and would highly recommend. Would stay again in a different room if we ever pass through again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

770 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

What can I say? I’m a sucker for customer service! I can definitely feel the love at Madonna Inn!

It all started with the reservation phone call I made several days prior to my stay at the Madonna Inn. When I called the 800 number, the representative I got on the phone was so helpful and professional! I wish I could remember her name (yes, I know--’m all about service but I can’t even recall the names of those who have helped me in the past! I write the names down and then I can’t remember where I put the note!) Anyways, this lady gave me one of the best phone experiences ever. She always said “please, thank you” and apologized for any delayed responses to my inquiries after 5-10 seconds. She called me by my name and continued to impress me with her choice of words and positive attitude. I booked the Zip & Sip package and she accommodated my appointment with Margarita Adventures for zip lining. She never left me on hold for more than a few seconds while making my reservations. After she was done with my reservations, she advised she was going to transfer me to the café department so that I can place my order for our gourmet lunch (this came with the package). I was very pleased up until she transferred me.
When the new person came on the phone, she picked up “hello?” – I figured they were supposed to say something like “café so and so, how may I help you?” or something along that line. Not just “hello.” I thought I was transferred to the wrong department/person. I then continued with “Hi, I was just transferred over to provide you with my order for the gourmet lunch” and the person on the other line seemed to not understand why I was transferred over. Her response was OK, then a long pause. I had to keep asking the questions and tell her why I was ordering. I advised it came with the zip & sip package, and her responses were always “ok” as if I’m telling her how the package works. She also kept saying “yeah, and uh-huh” – PET PEEVE! There was more to it, but I just don’t want to get into all that details because I can’t stand poor customer service. I just want to say, front desk/lobby – AMAZING service. Café person – needs more customer interaction practice!

Several days past and we arrive at Madonna Inn around 1pm. Again, AMAZING front/desk service! I walked into Registration and I was immediately greeted. When I checked in, they were just so nice and welcoming. I was told check in was not until 4pm but the lady advised me the room is available if I wanted to check in now (thanks for the early arrival Madonna Inn!). However, we didn’t check in right away because we had to make our ziplining/wine tasting appointment. While we were away, I received a phone call from Madonna Inn. I missed the call and listened to the voice message – the rep said “we found a complimentary wine tasting pass and wanted to ensure you received yours upon check-in.” They wanted to make sure I didn’t leave my behind! WHAT GREAT SERVICE I’m telling you!
Jump to the end of the ziplining and making our way back to the hotel. Our room was the rocky mountains room. We were on the side facing the freeway but high up to overlook the entire area. I loved it. The room was decorated just as I had expected! Wood/rocks/brown/blue everything! Huge King Size bed (comfy and clean!). No refrigerator but it’s OK because we were able to get ice to chill our drinks. Great bathroom! I love the heated toilet seat and all the toilet options to cleanse yourself! Every bathroom should have this. The sink décor looks as if the vines are growing out of the floor. I love it. The shower was THE Best part! Rocky shower! I recommend anyone staying at the Madonna Inn to opt for a rock shower versus balcony! You have water flowing from both side..it’s like your very own waterfall! I loved our room and it went well with my entire “outdoor” activity theme weekend. I also loved the dimmed lighting.

The only downside was the heater. It was broken! It was a cold evening and after 1 1/2 hour of letting it run on full high heat, it wasn’t getting room. But have no fear—here comes the great service again! Called the front desk and they were so great once again! They sent a rep to us ASAP and within 5-7 minutes, someone was knocking on a door with a standalone heater. He tried to fix our automatic heater but he too found it not to work. So they provided a portable heater for us. It stopped working a couple times, but finally we got it to work throughout the entire night. I’m telling you that one heater made our room so hot! Oh and to top of the great servce, they even called us back after the rep came to our room to make sure we were OK with the portable heater. I just love great service! Oh I forgot—another downside is the upstairs unit—I could hear them walk back and forth through their floor and our ceiling (but I was so tired I was able to fall asleep so it didn’t bother me too much).

The next day, the sun was shining through our windows (again, great view). We had to leave right away because we had another activity to attend to. We visited the pool area really quick and found it to be heated! Love it! Next time we visit we’ll definitely take a dip! I heard there’s a waterfall too at the lagoon every hour.

Overall, Madonna Inn was great! I love the unique rooms and the great service (except the person on the phone for my gourmet lunch). I can’t wait to go back and check out another room and their pool!

Room Tip: Pick a theme for the weekend -- there's so many to choose from so I went with what we were doing...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
What excellent comments and feedback! Thank you so very much for taking the time to write out such a wonderful and thorough review. We look forward to having you back (maybe in summer?) so you can utilize our pool facilities!
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I finally after 30 years had the opportunity to stay at the Madonna Inn. On one of my trips I bought a postcard of the room I wanted to stay in posted on my refrigerator as one of my goals. We stayed in the Old World Suite (actually under the first floor) It was very large, stone floor, stone fireplace, rock cave like waterfall shower. it was a wonderful experience. We did not eat in the restaurant as the prices were a bit steep, we did get a couple of cupcakes just to try them. We did not have an opportunity to check out the pool or spa, I did take a walk and wanted to stay longer to check them out. The spa has some wonderful melt in your mouth cookies that they give to you after your spa treatment. The inn is a destination all on its own, however we went to Pismo Beach for the afternoon, which I loved and had dinner but wished I had stayed at the hotel to enjoy the amenities there. The room was very quiet and very dark, we heard a bit of noise from the upper level but nothing to complain over. Maybe because we were underground. The bed I felt was too soft for me, but hubby slept well. I think I had the most fun with the waterfall shower. The robes in the room are very nice, light and warm. I felt that it was very comfortable and fun. I would suggest that you bring slippers as the rock floor is a bit uneven. There are no elevators however there are ramps in certain areas to get you to the next level.

Room Tip: Bring slippers if you choose a rock floor room Check out the rooms on the web site and book early t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Midland, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My fiance we to college in SLO and always wanted to stay at the Madonna Inn. So when we went back there for a visit, his wish came true!

We chose to stay in two different rooms during our stay, Just Heaven and Rock Bottom. Just Heaven is blue, blue, blue, and is covered in cherubs (I think I counted 27). The view from this room was phenomenal. Rock Bottom was my favorite of the two rooms, as even the shower was made of rock! The view from the pool & hot tub is SPECTACULAR and shouldn't be missed. It was probably my favorite part of the stay!

A few downsides: (1) we were actually comped a night's stay by the management because a bachelor/bachelorette party was going on and the cops were called...we were give a room because of the late night disturbance. While I doubt this is a regular occurence and the management kindly worked to smooth things over with us, the rooms are rather noisy. So if you're a light sleeper, bring your ear plugs. (2) There are resort fees (3) We had breakfast in the Copper Cafe once and were really surprised by the prices...$14.50 for two orders of bacon?! YIKES! While I understand it's a resort, I kind of expect "amazing" for those prices.

The bottom line: interesting and quirky, it was a stay I was glad to have had...once :) I'll probably opt for a B&B or beachfront room next trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
First off, thank you to you and your fiance for staying with us! We hear many stories of guests who "have always wanted to stay" so we appreciate our guests who think of us after many years. Secondly, we are sincerely disappointed to hear that a party had disturbed your stay. We greatly appreciate your business and that you brought it to our attention so we could make it right. We would enjoy having you stay with us again!
Orcutt, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Madonna Inn has wonderful oak barbque steaks, delicious desserts and excellent, attentive service. There is live dance music Saturdays & the place is awash with pink & red hearts at Valentine's day. The prices are a bit high, but worth it. This is a place where you can actually dress up & go out for a nice dinner or drink. There are lots of interesting details from wood carved booths to rock fireplace & ask where the copper waterfall is!

Room Tip: Many choices of decor, pick one you like, away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Didn't stay but took a tour. I'm coming back to check out the place. The place was originally a honeymoon destination but now it is a unique spot to stay in San Luis Obispo right in the heart of wine country. If you like pink -?this is the place for you!

• Stayed March 2013
Dublin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I arrived at Madonna Inn around 7:30PM last night without a reservation. I had been wanting to stay here for a long time so what better time than on a last minute trip along the coast. The staff was great and very helpful and friendly. We got to pick from the rooms available and we went with the Yahoo room since we wanted a waterfall shower and it wa the last available. We got settled in and about 10 minutes later a staff member came to the door with a bottle of Champagne for our Anniverary. That was a nice treat. The room was huge and super comfy. The only drawback was the waterfall shower splashes everywhere and there were about 4 spidders in the shower that were hrd to see cause of the rocks. I took care of them but unfortunately my hubby has arachnophobia pretty bad so he did not shower or sleep well. Anyway my point to that you should just check around the rock showers for spiders if you are worried about them. We wil be back but next time we will for sure make a reservation so we can pick from more rooms. The price is a little high but for a special occasion it is fine. Ifyou do not want to spend a lot for a room this is not your place.

Room Tip: Book in advance by phone to get the room you want.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We are pleased to hear you had an opportunity to stay with us recently during your anniversary trip. Thank you for writing your review and recommending us for a special occasion.

Been to Madonna Inn? Share your experiences!