“really suprised ..glad i didn't believe reviews” 5 of 5 stars

Rose Garden Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1585 Calle Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
santa monica
“really suprised ..glad i didn't believe reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Okay i can't comment on other exeriences ..but i didn't expect much rate was important as long as clean ..We stayed in downstairs pool room ..it was large,nicely furnished and exceptionally clean ..We were suprised David manager we think was very nice ..
Even offered to help with our luggage ..But we didn't expect that ..we were tired and wanted room ..We found had very nice garden pool setting ..we didn't use pool but very clean ..over all suprised ..it's not downtown on los osos rd exit ..Defintely use it if going to Pismo and didn't want pay their rates furthest exit south ,

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
San Luis Obispo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

Being in the beautiful central coast I would have never expected such a horrible hotel. It was smelly, dirty and felt unsafe. The carpet looked very very dirty and I didn't really relax. Traveling to another country and paying $5 dollars for this room would have been fine. But paying over $ 70 dollars for conditions similar to a prison was not okay.

Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
San Jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I stay at this hotel regularly when I travel to San Luis Obispo. Last time I was there I paid only $49 for a very nice room near the office. The room appeared to have been recently remodeled. Although it was a little on the dark side it was very comfortable. There is a nice diner next door for breakfast. If you are just looking for a place to spend the night this motel is great.

• Liked — Easy access from 101
  • Disliked — Freeway noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bakersfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

If you are looking for a nice place to stay, this place is NOT IT. You check in, are directed to your room, on the second floor, which has no elevator. You now have to park, walk around the whole building looking for the stair case which smells as if the place has not been cleaned in months. Now try dragging your luggage up to the second floor, making two trips. You now get to your room, which also smells, sit down on the bed and feel the springs, the pillows are so flat they should have been thrown out. The bathroom is no bigger then our bathroom in our motor home and they only provide you with two towels. They do not provide coffee and the office does not even open until 6am. The office is not very helpful. The whole place was a disappointment.

Stayed November 2008
Bay Area, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We booked this at the last minute, but should have looked around a bit more.

Cons: The first room they gave us was #102. It was next to the lobby on the ground floor and reeked of cigarette smoke. It was dark, dingy and just gross. Definitely not worth $140. The hall smelled strongly of chemicals. I've never been hit over the head before by such a stink in a hotel.

We requested another room and got #128. Despite the numbering, it was on the second floor. It was much cleaner than the first room and had high ceilings, but this room had problems too. There was a ton of pledge on everything and it reeked too. I could finger paint on the furniture and bathroom counter with the amount of polish that was on there. I had to be careful where I put my books down or all the oils would transfer. I finally spent an hour wiping everything down. This was not the romantic anniversary I was hoping for.

I opened the door to the balcony to air out the place and cigarette smoke wafted in from the balcony next door.

If you aren't sensitive to smells, the place might not be so bad. I'd also bring my own towels because they had a funk to them too.

The TV was low and hard to watch from the bed.

Pros: The sheets were soft. The bathroom had a shelf to put your toiletries (which was great after I wiped it down about 5 times).

There was a view of a hill with hawks flying around which was pleasant.

The place was sound-proofed well, but there was freeway noise if you opened the sliding-glass door to the balcony.

It was a maze to get to the ice machine, but there was one there and a couple of vending machines.

The morning before we left, a note was slipped under the door saying that we could stay an extra night for $42. Thanks, but no thanks.

Next time I'll look for places at Avila Beach through vrbo.

• Liked — That they changed our room to a less lousy room
  • Disliked — I felt like I was at a chemical convention. It was so stinky I got sick.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Petaluma, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

This place is a dump. An appointment with a wrecking ball is long overdue. I originally booked for three nights, but left early because it was so gross. I didn't expect much from this place, just a place to sleep and shower, and my expectations were fulfilled -- and then some (for the worse, that is).

The room was dirty. The bed spreads had stains on them, and the sheets also showed signs of "use." The chair was covered with all sorts of stains from who knows what. The wall paper was peeling off and scuffed up. I got the feeling I should be wearing rubber gloves at all times along with other protective clothing. The hallways and stairways reeked of musty, aged carpet and flea bombs.

If you're on a budget, sleep in your car at the campground just west of town and pay 75 cents for a shower.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — filthy and aged
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I wasn't expecting much at this inn, but here are the good parts of it -- The rooms were average size and the beds were firm. There were many red roses surrounding the entire building. Easy access to the 101 Fwy.

Everything "looked" okay until we walked into our room. Here are the problems:

1.) The room smelled like roach killer spray.
2.) The bathroom door could not close properly.
3.) Pillows were flat and no extras were provided.
4.) No hair-dryer. (When I asked the front desk, the attendant said they don't have any on their property.)
5.) The A/C unit was 2 inches away from one of our double beds. We could also see the rust in the vents.
6.) I don't believe they ever wash the blankets because my fiance got rashes as soon as his arm came into contact with it. (Make sure you keep the blanket covered with the blanket sheet.)

• Liked — Firm beds, good view
  • Disliked — Flat pillows, roach killer spray smell, no hair-dryer, bed too close to A/C unit
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!