“Great Hotel - Helpful Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Rose Garden Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1585 Calle Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Lutherville Timonium, Maryland
“Great Hotel - Helpful Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were originally going to spend just one night here - but the hotel was so nice and the staff at the front desk (Daniel and Mary) were so friendly and helpful, we decided to stay an additional 2 days. We received excellent suggestions on where to spend some time - sites not always found in the brochures. Situated right next to an extraordinary diner (Maggie's Diner), the hotel was a real find. The rooms were clean, nice big screen TV, and quiet - just what we were looking for. We made the hotel our HQ as we explored up and down the California coast. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: Ask for Daniel or Mary - they will take care of you
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris K, General Manager at Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Rose Garden Inn. We are so happy you had a nice stay with us and look forward to another visit. Since there is so much to do on the Central Coast, we are hoping you come back soon so we can send you to even more of the sites in the area.
Daniel Ibarra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here overnight on the way to the Hearst Castle. The room was quiet even though the hotel is next to the 101 and the bed was super comfy. The room was quite large and bathroom had shower over bath. Loads of hot water for the bath, but couldn't get any out of the bathroom basin hot water tap! Daniel on the desk was very helpful and told us that we were in town for the weekly night Farmer's Market. The town was bustling with the main street closed off and loads of bbq and food stalls. Loads of good eating places in town, plus book stores! (Phoenix second-hand bookstore has two floors of books!) Had breakfast early next morning at Margie's Diner, good American diner experiene!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris K, General Manager at Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are well known for being the perfect stop when heading to Hearst Castle because of our freeway convenience and our friendly staff. We truly appreciate the nice words and hope you come and visit us again soon.
Daniel Ibarra
General Ibarra
Nevada City, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We were traveling thru for the evening and needed a place to unwind a few hours and then hit the hay. It had what we needed. Comfy beds, clean and quiet. We chose this hotel while driving in the car on my app and it caught my eye because of the huge spa/hot tub with a waterfall and a huge pool. When you have a 9 and 11 year old, that is important. It was a little to cold that evening to swim but the GIANT hot tub felt GREAT! Our room was just a few steps from there and had a big sliding glass door with two chairs and small table so we could enjoy a cocktail on the porch. We also have two small dogs and they are pet friendly and only charge $10.00 for a pet...perfect. The rate was also reasonable. Perfect place for our needs. They don't have a free breakfast but Margies diner is next door and breakfast was great...you definitely get what you pay for and it was wonderful.

tujunga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in late July. Arriving late we got a room at the back of the hotel. Looks like they are updating their rooms in the front. Our room smelled of cigarette smoke and it felt dirty. Not to mention the musty smell. We asked for another room that smelled a little better but it still felt old and could have used some updates. Their were holes in some of the walls and things that needed to be repaired. The bedspreads looked and smelled dirty and there was even a cigarette hole in one of them. We wished we had spent a little more money for a far more superior hotel. The only thing the hotel has going for it is the grounds. The hotel isn't near the freeway and I just didn't like the location. Stay somewhere else. The service wasn't that great. You might save some money but it isn't worth it if you are looking for comfort & cleanliness. I would have been better off at a Motel 6. I will never stay at this hotel again!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mariposa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My Wife and I stay here a lot to visit our Son who teaches school in SLO. Everything you need and very nice rooms plus a pool and huge spa. The staff is always ready to help and give tips about SLO. We will keep staying here in the future.

Room Tip: Call ahead, for a room this hotel fills up!
Highland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I, along with adult daughter and teen age granddaughter stayed for a day and an evening at the Rose Garden. The desk attendants were courteous and never gave us any trouble. The two rooms were clean and comfortable, but small. Included in each room was a small refrigerator and a microwave, along with the usual TV (CRT type), DVD player, desk and chairs. The beds were comfortable enough that my wife did not unroll her foam mattress pad as she usually does. So far so good, why 4 stars instead of 5?

The bathroom was smaller than average, so small that the plumber had to slightly angle the toiler away from the tub, still ok, but you'd only want one person in there at a time. And when I wanted to use the internet, I found it was down. The desk suggested that I bring my laptop to their office because the reception there is sometimes better. But even when I did so, I couldn't get a webpage to load, and I wanted to watch a sporting event that was being streamed. I couldn't get even email to download. Latter in the day, to be honest, I was able to get average Wi-Fi in my room with no problem, but when I really wanted it, it was not available. The desk person at the time told me that she had a "man" working on the router. Apparently, she did have that man, but he didn't fix the problem until later. As I type this, download speeds approach 1.2 Mbps while upload speeds are faster, almost 3 Mbps.

We did have a problem in the bathroom with a clogged toilet, but the desk sent a man immediately to take care of the problem.

So, two complaints, the small bathroom ( don't let that stop you from staying here) and the internet (apparently they have problems with that frequently or the "bring your laptop to the office" suggestion would have probably not been made. So, if you need the Wi-Fi, IF YOU REALLY NEED TO HAVE RELIABLE WI-FI, find another hotel. but this one is fine for most travelers.

Room Tip: The back is probably quieter. The Hotel is just off the Highway with lots of traffic 24 hours a day.
Pomona, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was there for four nights on business, Monday - Friday, and it was a really nice and clean room. The beds are super comfy and there was a nice fridge and microwave. The T.V. was also nice. That's where it ended. There are things that really do need improvement in this hotel. I stayed in the back on the top floor. There are only stairs, no elevator so if that is a problem make sure to get a 1st floor room. Second, there was no clock in the room. I had to use my phone as my alarm clock. Third, the bathroom leaves a lot to be desired. The shower head is at least 20 yrs old and rusted. I had to ask for a bathtub stopper so I could take a bath cause the shower head was a joke. The bathroom sink was really outdated also and barely had water flow. The toilet seat was really flimsy and could use an upgrade also. The towels were then and really scratchy, either they need some fabric softener in their wash or just plain better quality of towels. The headboards are not attached to the bed and are loose on the wall so every time someone gets in and out of the bed the mattress hits the headboard and it bangs the wall. My bed was on the same wall as my neighbor's bed and was awaken many times by the headboard banging up against the wall. Oh and there also was no iron and ironing board in the rooms either. And for some reason the A/C is right on one of the beds in the double bed room. So make sure you have an extremely hot person with you to sleep in that bed or else they will freeze from the a/c being on all night or you will wake up sweating from it being off all night.

All of the rooms have a balcony. There is a little cafe right next door that's open 6:30am - 9pm. They also Mon - Thur have a dinner that is served for their contractors but guests can get tickets from the front desk to have a plate. The food is really good. Also there is a BEAUTIFUL pool and spa jacuzzi with a waterfall. I loved being in the jacuzzi and it was never crowed. That alone made it all worth the stay.

Overall it really was a nice stay and I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!