“Great Highway stopover” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
los angeles
“Great Highway stopover”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2004

I use this hotel every couple of weeks when I'm up in San Luis Obispo on business. For the money it can't be beat. They have a free BBQ most weeknights and the price is less than a motel 6. The staff is very friendly and will try and will help you out with just about anything.
Despite what I have read on this board, I have found the rooms to be better than most of the hotels in San luis obispo, some charge twice the rate. I noticed they were remodeling the hallways and rooms on my last visit. If they do the whole hotel this will be the place to stay in SLO.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Silicon Valley, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2003

I had already reserved a room at $49 for each of 2 nights (Friday and Saturday) when I first read the reviews. It was too late to cancel my reservation so it was with some concerns that I checked in.

It wasn't as bad as some of the reviews but the "non smoking" room even had an ash tray with a book of matches in it and it DID smell of some sort of spray that must have been used to try to get rid of the horrible stale nicotine odor---impossible to do. Sort of a sick sweet smell that I found had permeated my night clothes when I got them out at a B&B at our next destination.

The sheets on the bed were about a foot too short to reach from top to bottom and the carpet though not badly worn, had several large spots where something had been dropped on it and which wouldn't come out.

It had a pretty decent decent bathroom that looked like it had been renovated. None of the report mold/mildew that others have reported or the badly worn carpeting. It was reasonably quiet for being within 50 yards of Highway 101. The person above produced creaking noises on what is obviously a wooden floor/ceiling overhead and got up and left about 5:30 AM. I noticed several big trucks parking on the road outside so I guess the truckers stay there.

I think I'll take my chances next time if I want an inexpensive room by going to Motel 6 which will likely be $10 more but which can be reasonably counted on for what you are reserving.

Until they throw out the cigarette saturated furniture, bedding and capreting - and paint the place freshly and and make it a truly NO SMOKING place I won't subject myself to that odor again.

• Stayed January 2005
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2003

Very nice staff at the front desk. Room was large and fairly clean but somewhat run down. One bed's sheets were stained from who knows what, but the other's were OK. Matresses were old and uncomfortable. The Motel 6 next door was about the same price when I was there and is probably a better option.

• Stayed October 2003
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2003

I read the other reviews before we traveled but it was the best rate in town so we decided to see for ourselves. We arrived, checked in with a real nice guy at the desk and went to our room. The room wasn't the Ritz but it was really big and we found it very clean. New carpet was inthe hallways and the lobby was actually really cute. I guess some people want to pay nothing and get a butler to go with it. We found everything very acceptable and would stay there again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2003

I saw this hotel's sign from the freeway and stopped in on my trip to San Jose. It was a nice best western style hotel. Big rooms, nice pool. Hallways looled like they had just been remodeled. Really good price for the area.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2003

Got this one from Hotwire (listed as a 1-star). Figured it had to be decent. Boy, was I wrong! Way overpriced and a dump to boot! It was obvious there had been a flood as evidenced by water marks on the ceiling which resembled a terrain map of elevations and by the mold on the boxsprings and on the mattress. I went to tuck in the sheets and my fingers came out with black stuff on them. Mattress and boxsprings were also stained which reminded me of the TLC Morgue show I had seen recently. We ended up sleeping in our clothes -- on top of the sheets, but not on the comforter. At 11 at night, after a day's worth of driving, it would not have been fun to go looking for another hotel, or even another room. How did we do it?!?!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2003

There are some good reasons this property did not recieve a AAA rating. The place is literally coming apart at the seams, the walls are cardboard thick, the whole interior reeks of decades of cigarette smoke, the grounds are littered with tons of cigarette butts, trash and old shoes. Our room had a diesel/bug spray smell to it from whatever all the furniture had been treated with. The bedding could really use replacing as well, it just seemed very old.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!