“Nice place for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Rose Garden Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1585 Calle Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
Ranked #15 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
Long Beach, California
“Nice place for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night and needed an accessible room. Our room had recently been remodeled and was clean as well as comfortable. The night clerk was very helpful and made us feel welcome. We had a few issues such as the roll-in shower didn't drain properly (flooded the floor) and there was no hairdryer or coffee pot. Evidently we were the first to use the room since the remodel. Upon leaving in the morning, the Manager was very nice and apologized for our inconvenience. The price was right for us and it is a very convenient place to stay when traveling the 101 freeway. We would definitely stay there again mostly because of the way we were treated. I'm sure that the problems we had have been resolved because of the care the Manager took to make things right.

Room Tip: We appreciated the offer to preview the room upon check in to be sure it met our needs.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chris K, General Manager at Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to review your night stay with us at the Rose Garden Inn. Reviews, such as yours, help us improve at every level. The shower you mentioned is known for it's flooding because of the way it is made, so your review will help us respond to the company, and come up with a solution to fix this problem. We have attended to the other issues of missing items in your room and are happy to say that the room is complete, and ready for your next visit. Your kind words about our staff were truly appreciated. We hope to see you again in the very near future!
Best Regards,
Daniel Ibarra

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Stockton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Room was very clean and spacious ,the staff was very friendly and helpful on dining options. I could not wait to use the hot tub after a long day behind the wheel. I slept like a baby on our king size bed which was so comfortable.. The room had everything you would need, my wife forgot her hair dryer, the room had it, my clothes needed ironing after being crushed in a suitcase, the room had it, we had leftovers from dinner which we reheated and kept in the mini-fridge. the room had it, The Rose Garden Inn will always be in our plans along the Coast, our favorite place to vacation, Hearst Castle, Cambria, Morro Bay, SLO, Pismo"s five cities, Solvang, Santa Inez Valley, Santa Barbara all the way down to the Pacific Coast Highway and Santa Monica.

Room Tip: Every room has a Rose Garden View, Second floor rooms have a balcony, Eastside rooms view the Pool a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris K, Manager at Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Robert,
I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write such kind words about our hotel. The staff and management works very hard to make our guests happy, and I can't tell you how much it means to us to know we have succeeded. We hope you have a chance to come visit us again, in San Luis Obispo, and we hope you will have another wonderful vacation on the Central Coast of California.
Daniel Ibarra
Anaheim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Only downside to this place was there was no elevator and we were on the second floor. No big deal but when you have 4 people, that can be a lot of luggage to lug up and down the stairs. Rom was comfortable and it was facing the pool. Was so cool! The Jacuzzi had a waterfall and it was roomy enough for like 20 people. Was great. Front staff were very friendly and Margie's restaurant's food was really good. Bed was comfy. Nothing negative to say about this place. Would definitely stay there again! The hotel is a little confusing to get to. You don't see the "Rose Garden Inn" sign until after you turn the corner.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Located right off of 101, this is easy to get to from the freeway. It doesn't look like much at all from the outside, especially given that it's surrounded by much newer, nicer looking hotels, but it's fine. If I paid more, I would feel ripped off, but for the price it was serviceable. Our room was on the second floor, so no room opening onto a patio for us (there was a very small balcony). Overall clean - not spotless, but clean. I was told our room was one of the "remodeled" rooms. Decor was nice, nice flatscreen tv. Cable was fuzzy. Bathroom was strange - it looked like maybe new tile was put in the shower, but the tub and fixtures were CLEARLY old. The sink faucet was gross - nothing a little CLR wouldn't fix but I really wished I had some Lysol. Shower fixtures - again, a little CLR or cleaner would go a long way. Bed was comfy enough, and it was quiet at night. Early in the a.m. we clearly heard the freeway traffic (windows are single paned - condensation inside too) but when you stay by the freeway, noise is expected! Front desk staff was very friendly. Planned renovations poster in the lobby look promising! Bottom line, would I stay again? Yes, if looking for a budget hotel! Never saw the pool/hot tub area but pictures look nice!

Room Tip: Would request one further away from the freeway if possible.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

6 a.m., the alarm goes off. Travelers should not depend on the maid service to remember to turn off the alarm clock. I know this. Luckily it doesn't happen too often. Word to the wise!

The Rose Garden Inn is just off the freeway, very easy to find and get to. Exit Los Osos (when traveling north on 101). Turn left on Calle Joaquin, and go past Hampton Inn and Suites. You'll see the hotel on the left, keep driving until you see a small road on the left. Turn left, and then make another quick left into the parking lot.

The front desk was personable, professional and efficient at check-in and check-out. I explained when checking out that I had forgotten to turn on the heat before going to bed (there was a wall heater located next to one of the beds, which I hadn't noticed until morning), and could have used an extra blanket. I was told that I could have called anytime, 24/7, to ask for an extra blanket. That really impressed me. I had not expected that.

I stayed in Building One in a renovated room. There is no elevator, and the staircase is enclosed (and a little stuffy, it could use some fresh air). But the room was spacious and comfortable with nice soft towels. The bed and linens made for a good night's rest. I found it to be quiet.

I'm giving it a 4 because for the money, you cannot beat the service and amenities. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Encino
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

It was a great little place. At first it doesn't look like much from outside, but when you get into the clean spacious room and a patio with chairs looking at the steam coming from the spa with a volcano waterfall, it just relaxes you. Place is very quite and close to many great venues and cities near by. Great value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Be sure to request a remodeled room - we didn't! Our's was clean but very basic. The in-room phone was inoperable and when we asked about it we were told that an electrical storm had fried their system - we got the feeling it had been out of service for some time.

The front desk person was very friendly and helpful and recommended the hot tub, which we took advantage of after a long drive. It was very nice - you could tell that it had very recently been updated (see the picture on this site). If the ongoing hotel renovations are done as well, this will be a great place to stay.

Overall, the room was OK considering the low price but if I stayed here again, I would be sure to get an updated room, even if it cost a bit more..

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!