“Fine for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
San Francisco
“Fine for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Located right off of 101, this is easy to get to from the freeway. It doesn't look like much at all from the outside, especially given that it's surrounded by much newer, nicer looking hotels, but it's fine. If I paid more, I would feel ripped off, but for the price it was serviceable. Our room was on the second floor, so no room opening onto a patio for us (there was a very small balcony). Overall clean - not spotless, but clean. I was told our room was one of the "remodeled" rooms. Decor was nice, nice flatscreen tv. Cable was fuzzy. Bathroom was strange - it looked like maybe new tile was put in the shower, but the tub and fixtures were CLEARLY old. The sink faucet was gross - nothing a little CLR wouldn't fix but I really wished I had some Lysol. Shower fixtures - again, a little CLR or cleaner would go a long way. Bed was comfy enough, and it was quiet at night. Early in the a.m. we clearly heard the freeway traffic (windows are single paned - condensation inside too) but when you stay by the freeway, noise is expected! Front desk staff was very friendly. Planned renovations poster in the lobby look promising! Bottom line, would I stay again? Yes, if looking for a budget hotel! Never saw the pool/hot tub area but pictures look nice!

Room Tip: Would request one further away from the freeway if possible.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

6 a.m., the alarm goes off. Travelers should not depend on the maid service to remember to turn off the alarm clock. I know this. Luckily it doesn't happen too often. Word to the wise!

The Rose Garden Inn is just off the freeway, very easy to find and get to. Exit Los Osos (when traveling north on 101). Turn left on Calle Joaquin, and go past Hampton Inn and Suites. You'll see the hotel on the left, keep driving until you see a small road on the left. Turn left, and then make another quick left into the parking lot.

The front desk was personable, professional and efficient at check-in and check-out. I explained when checking out that I had forgotten to turn on the heat before going to bed (there was a wall heater located next to one of the beds, which I hadn't noticed until morning), and could have used an extra blanket. I was told that I could have called anytime, 24/7, to ask for an extra blanket. That really impressed me. I had not expected that.

I stayed in Building One in a renovated room. There is no elevator, and the staircase is enclosed (and a little stuffy, it could use some fresh air). But the room was spacious and comfortable with nice soft towels. The bed and linens made for a good night's rest. I found it to be quiet.

I'm giving it a 4 because for the money, you cannot beat the service and amenities. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Encino
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

It was a great little place. At first it doesn't look like much from outside, but when you get into the clean spacious room and a patio with chairs looking at the steam coming from the spa with a volcano waterfall, it just relaxes you. Place is very quite and close to many great venues and cities near by. Great value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Be sure to request a remodeled room - we didn't! Our's was clean but very basic. The in-room phone was inoperable and when we asked about it we were told that an electrical storm had fried their system - we got the feeling it had been out of service for some time.

The front desk person was very friendly and helpful and recommended the hot tub, which we took advantage of after a long drive. It was very nice - you could tell that it had very recently been updated (see the picture on this site). If the ongoing hotel renovations are done as well, this will be a great place to stay.

Overall, the room was OK considering the low price but if I stayed here again, I would be sure to get an updated room, even if it cost a bit more..

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Camarillo, California (Near Los Angeles)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and two kids last weekend. I didn't have any of the problems other reviewers reported. No bed bugs and everything looked new, clean and nicely appointed. I thought it was cool that they had a DVD player. The guy at reception was courteous and helpful. When I requested a downstairs room, he suggested that I go for an upstairs room because the downstairs rooms have not been renovated yet. Maybe the people who got less than adequate rooms were staying in a downstairs room? The pool here is very nice. Personally, I would return here but my husband didn't like was that the 2 beds in our room were full sized (somewhere between a full and a queen). A full sized bed is fine for a single adult but is a tight squeeze for two adults.

Room Tip: Make a reservation directly with the motel if possible and always ask for a free upgrade or one of t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hemet, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I needed an affordable place to stay for Thanksgiving evening and chose this hotel. It is an older hotel, but in the lobby, there is the plans for the up-coming renovations and they look fantastic. Service was so great! Very friendly and accommodating staff. I had changed my reservation room type at the last minute with no problems or added fees. The housekeeping staff was eager to help in any way they could with out reservation. I thought I had left my phone charger in the room and when I called the front desk staff personally went to the room to look for it. I found it in my purse, but he never made me feel like I had burdened him. The diner next door was great too (and the hotel guest get a decent discount!) I would absolutely recommend this Inn to my friends and stay here again with out a second thought!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rohnert Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here while visiting relatives for thanksgiving. The rooms were not very big, but they were not postage stamp size.The rooms were clean enough did find some trash under bed. Mentioned it to management and he said he would tell house keeping. I would book through motels own web site price were better and more room choices. They have 2 wings one which is upgraded which we stayed in nicer beds, linens, more furniture coffee maker and maybe bigger tv. The other rooms were same size but looked very basic. 20$ more for upgraded rooms at time I booked. Hotel has 2 floors and all rooms appeared to have balcony or patio. The grounds were nicely kept lots of plants nice feel. The pool area was very nice larger the average pool and large hot tub with water fall and colored lights at nice very cool. Jets and temp of spa were nice not too hot and you could find a jet with nice pressure. Had down stairs room and the noise from upstairs was loud could not here rooms on the sides. The front desk guy (Jared I think) when we checked was very efficient and helpful. Small lobby had coffee and fruit available. The hotel is right off freeway and has diner on grounds. You can get small voucher at front desk for small discount at restaurant which served a very good breakfast. Have stayed in other hotels in this area over the years and will book this one again.

Room Tip: Book rooms through hotels web site and upgraded are nicer.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!