“Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo” 4 of 5 stars

Wine Wrangler Tour
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alameda, California
“Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed here in 2008. I liked it.
This year, I stayed here again in early July. Although I made a reservation for two queen beds, it came with only one queen bed. It was too late and all tired, so I did not bother to make the change. The furniture was same as 6 years ago and felt outdated. But two rooms were nice and spacious. The bath room was rather small but clean. I liked it still.
The best part was the breakfast. The made-to-order omlet was hevenly delicious for the morning. Besides the omlet, there were plenty choices, including fruits. I couldn't think of anything else to ask for. Highly recommend for travelers. It's a bit pricey for the room overall.
I also liked the indoor huge courtyard with plenty tables to chat with friends - all rooms surrounding it.
BTW, the hotel was hard to locate even with GPS. There were not enough signs to direct to the premise. It was difficult in the day time and much worse in the evening arrival. It was hidden in the corner of a shopping mall. I hope they will improve it very soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Kevin P, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear PnoEns;

Sounds like you had an enjoyable overall stay with us. We often here from our guests that they truly enjoy our complimentary cooked to order breakfast as you did and many agree that it's a great value. And yes, our Atrium does provide excellent space to socialize with friends and family. We understand that our hotel can be a bit hard to find and to that end we have worked diligently with our on-line partners to improve directions to the hotel. Though much improved, there still may be additional options we can pursue.

All the best!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel has a beautiful lobby, a very boog room (actually one living room and the bedroom, besides bathroom, so even if your room is in front of the elevator, you will still have your holy silence), its location is great, it's in a mall, so it's near great stores, restaurants and in front of a berry plantation. Full breakfast, including fruits. I stayed with my husband and 2 year old son, it was just perfect.

Room Tip: anyone, as the living room is in front of the bedroom itself.
Dear allenkubrik;

Your positive feedback is most appreciated. There is great value in our brand, i.e. spacious guest room suites, complimentary cook to order breakfast and a beautiful Atrium space as you mentioned. Hope you were able to take advantage of the many shopping options directly surrounding our hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to SLO.

Best!
Bakersfield, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The room design is not good. The doors are too large for the room. They should have used pocket doors, well at least for the bathroom. Every time we walked by our forearm was hit and sometimes my hand. Beds are too soft. On a positive note staff was friendly and they have a decent breakfast Buffett.

Stayed July 2014
Dear MelissaF;

Thank you for taking time to review our property and for selecting our hotel for your recent visit. Your comments are well received regarding our guest room suites and as we move towards a renovation we look to make improvements in the room configurations. So glad that you found our staff to be friendly and that you enjoyed our complimentary cooked to order breakfast.

Warm Regards!
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We booked this hotel as a stopover on way from Santa Monica to Monterey. Hotel is situated at the rear of a shopping mall. We arrived just before 8 in the evening and left before 10.30 the following morning. We had a room on ground floor at the end of the hall so corridor noise was not an issue for us but suspect it would be for anyone with a room opening up onto the main atrium of hotel where majority of rooms were. Pool was indoors, heated and ample size for a splash around. Room was very dark, grimy and dated. Breakfast was complimentary and average fare. It was expensive for what it was, am sure you could find a nicer cheaper B&B in the area.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
Dear valued guest;

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. We look forward to a future renovation to our guest room suites. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we continually strive to improve our guest's experience.

Best!
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

First of all, I highly advise against staying here if you are a light sleeper as there is A LOT of noise from the freeway, which already limits your choice of rooms. In addition, the design is such where many of the rooms (I'd estimate about 70-80%) open out onto a large atrium which carries a lot of sound during the day and gets quite loud in the morning due to breakfast(god help you if you are on the first floor). That can make it difficult to get to sleep and stay asleep. That, plus the fact that you can't even put in a room request until the night before (which is NOT an industry standard).
In my room specifically, the TV in the main room would not work, and even puzzled the maintenance man. He said he would have to call his boss, but as it was getting late we decided against it. Greaaaaaat. Money well spent.
In addition, the blankets for the rollaway bed were nowhere to be found, so I had to wait for them to be brought up. Awesome.
I don't know if this is all rooms, but for the life of me I could NOT figure out how to fully work the shower in our bathroom. It needed a damn manual, and I've used a lot of showers.
The food at their restaurant was rather tasty, though(I believe I had the pulled pork sandwich- VERY GOOD) although having only one server was not good judgment. The breakfast was also quite thorough with a large selection, but still, noisy if you are trying to sleep.
If you can sleep through a storm it's a good value. If you value your sleep like me (and prefer rooms where things WORK) go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Pick something opposite of the freeway and not in the atrium. Best of luck though.
Dear Shane W;

Your candid feedback regarding your stay is appreciated as it gives us the opportunity to continually strive for improvement. You are correct, we are an Atrium style hotel and many of our suites do open up to the Atrium. All guest room suites, however, are designed with the ability to close off the bedroom area via a door which quiets the noise from the Atrium considerably for light sleepers. I apologize that your TV did not properly during your stay, that is not acceptable to us either and we have ordered a significant number of back-up TV's to prevent this from ever happening again.

We do hope that if your travels bring you back to San Luis Obispo that you will give us another opportunity to be of service.

All the best!
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I've been to SLO three different times and each time I've looked into staying there, they've always charged a premium rate. I finally decided to see what the place was all about.
It's a good location but it's a tired building. It's old and needs updating.
The staff is great and the workout room is solid given the age of the building.
When I go back to SLO, I'll look at other hotels than this. I guess I can't understand why they charge the premium rates.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had requested a quiet room on the fourth floor prior to check-in because I'm a very light sleeper. Upon checking-in, the only room on the fourth floor that was available was adjacent to the freeway. There was a lot of road noise from the freeway.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear gbc1232013;

Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo. I do apologize that we were not able to meet your specific room location request and for the noise you experienced. We hope that you give us the opportunity to make this right in the future for a future stay.

Very Best!

Been to Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!