“Has to wait more than two hours for our room to be ready and it was all down hill from there.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo

Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I checked into the hotel today. We arrived 45 minutes before check in and were told our room was not ready, but that it would be soon. We were directed by Ryan to come back in an hour. I asked that he call us when it was ready as we had traveled a great distance and were in need of being out of the car. We left and explored the adjoining shopping center for an hour. We returned and spoke with Ryan who told is our room was still not ready, now 15 minutes past check in time. Ryan stated he placed a rush with housekeeping to get our room ready. I asked why that hadn't been done an hour earlier. Ryan replied it had. He then told us we would need to wait. I observed that other families with children were also waiting in the lobby. I suggested that Ryan comp us some drinks and appetizers for our inconvenience. He complied with my demand but only provided half as many drink coupons as I had in my party (2 instead of 4).
I went to the bar to get my comped items, but no bartenders or kitchen staff were to be found. I approach the front desk again to be told they would call someone for me. So I went back and stood at the empty bar for five minutes before a bartender appeared. He was warm and helpful providing the four drinks at no charge (even though we only had two coupons). He said he noticed me standing there while he was walking the forth floor, not because he got a call). Another hour later...we ate our appetizer and my kids ran through all of my change in the game room, sick of waiting we approached the front desk and requested to speak with the manager. Magically our room was ready. No one had come to get us from their own lobby. I wonder how long I would have sat there? Once we got to our room we treated to stained carpets and threadbare furniture. We requested an extra blanket and had to wait an hour and a half until 10:17 PM before it was delivered. I was told by the front desk twice that my request was given to housekeeping and that they had a lot of requests to deal with. Finally housekeeping arrived and dropped off three towels instead of a blanket. I once again got the front desk to be told housekeeping is really busy they would put in my request.
I am still checked into this hotel and wishing I could leave.
It is so obvious that this site has management problems. Employees do not communicate with each other and are not focused on the guest experience. I will never stay at this property again and if I can get out of my reservation for tomorrow, I will be leaving in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear LG;

First of all, thank you so much for your candid feedback regarding your arrival experience and the delay in getting you into your suite, the coupon issue for your drinks (though I was happy to see that our bartender was warm and helpful), the condition of your guest room suite and for the confusion regarding your requested blanket. Quite frankly, I would have been just as frustrated as you and I sincerely apologize for your overall experience at our hotel. This is unacceptable and I assure you we will take your feedback to heart and act on your feedback as we continue to improve our overall hotel operations.

Once again, my sincere apologies and thank you so much for your candid feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel was simple to find, right off the freeway. Hotel staff was pleasant and efficient. After a long drive from San Diego, moving our daughters apartment furnishings to San Luis Obispo, the Embassy Suites was a welcome overnight stop. Cocktail reception relaxing, bed and room were very comfortable and morning breakfast was delicious. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the main dining area (with no rail in front of the rooms) are noisy during the eve...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear nutgka;

I was pleased to read your review of our hotel. Many guests find our location very convenient off the freeway and close to many restuarants, shopping facilities and of course Cal Poly. I was also glad to see that you enjoyed our complimentary coctail reception, complimentary breakfast and our guest room suites.

I wish you and your family the very best and hope that your daughter adjusts well to San Luis Obispo.
St. Louis Obisbo, Calif, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

From the phone call I made to make the reservation to the check out and departure...the entire process was positive. Outstanding facilities and outstanding employees!! The company is obviously investing in employee selection and training! I will recommend Embassy Suites to all my friends!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Dear C, Tidd D;

Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding the reservation process, our facilities and our outstanding associates. I will be sure to share your comments with our team.

Augusta, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Hotel staff was very helpful providing information on local establishments for eating and entertainment. The complimentary breakfast and manager's reception add tremendous value to the facility. Ease of access to main highway helped in maximizing our ability to reach local establishments.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Arturo B;

Very pleased to learn that our staff provided helpful information on local establishments for dining choice considerations; the San Luis Obispo area has many eating and entertainment options. We hear often that our complimentary breakfast and evening reception are an exceptional value and we thank you for those comments as well.

Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo. We look forward to your next stay.

La Quinta, CA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My stay was made that much easier by staying at Embassy Suites in San Luis Obispo, CA. It was centrally located and was easily accessed from major highways and convenience stores restaurants in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jeffrey A P;

Thank you for your kind words in regards to our hotel's convenient central location and easy access to the highway. We agree, the area does have many stores and restaurants for patrons to enjoy.

Safe travels and we hope to see you again.

Dinuba, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were very happy with our one night stay at Embassy Suites SLO. The beds are really comfortable, great happy hour (only two hours but includes more than just beer and wine), good breakfast the next morning, and a great location all at a very reasonable price. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Rosemary 78;

Thank you for your posted comments; location, comp breakfast & happy hour along with our great beds are comments we hear quite often.

Safe travels and we'll see you next time.

Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Well, they try hard here, but just had a hard time getting things right. I always request a room away from the elevator, but not to far away. I received the farthest room possible away from the main elevators and right next to the service elevator. This after the gal assured me it was not to far from the elevator. They moved us to another room, but should not have had to move in the first place. At night we turned on the TV in our room to fall asleep to, but of course it didn't work. After not receiving a 7:30 wake up call the front desk replied to my call to them by saying, "It's automated so it has to work". Once I was up I went to get to the shower but had to wait for them to bring shampoo up. Each mishap they fixed, but not until after the trouble. The food staff and bartenders were generally pleasant and did a good job.

The hotel itself while not dirty is also not to the standards of most Embassy's. It is a older version which does not bother me as it is still nice even without the ponds and waterfalls. The rooms are poorly designed with the bathroom door hitting my wife while she is doing her makeup and a desk situated right behind the bedroom door. Overall, the rooms are spacious compared to other hotels but not as nice as you would expect from an Embassy. The beds here did my back no favors. The indoor pool is average at best with a small hot tub. The location of the hotel is excellent. Five minutes to downtown and twelve to the beach.

We used points to stay here so I don't know what it costs, but I would hope that it is on the inexpensive side. If you don't stay at the Embassy suites often or at all then this place would probably seem fine. If you do stay at them often as we do you would know that this one is below average compared to the others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Redhead32;

I was very disappointed to learn that we had difficulty meeting your guest room suite expectations. You are absolutely correct, we should have done a much better job finding you the right accomodations up front and without hassle. I was also disappointed to see that your TV did not work properly and that you did not receive your 7:30 wake up call. Your experience is unacceptable to us and we will work hard to rectify these issues going forward.

Though as you mentioned our property is a bit older we take great pride in maintaining it to Embassy Suite standards and also take great pride in providing ouststanding customer service. I was glad to learn that you did feel our rooms were spacious and I hope that added to your comfort while here. We generally receive positive feedback regarding our beds but we will definitely look into the room you stayed in to ensure the mattress is of the highest quality.

Thank you so much for your patronage to the Hilton brand of hotels and thank you for choosing Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo.

All the best,

Been to Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!