Over the past nine months, I've had the need to stay overnight in San Luis Obispo nearly a dozen times as part of a teaching and research assignment at Cal Poly. The Embassy Suites has become my “home away from home” for each of these trips.
The Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo fulfill my relatively simple, but very important needs:
(1) A good size room (in this case a suite) with high quality bedding with a firm mattress such that I can get a good night's sleep, even if the number of hours of sleep is limited by my arrival and departure times. Large LCD TVs in both rooms of the suite actually carry a large number and variety of high definition channels!
(3) Business-friendly including a desk and chair in the room with electrical outlets and lighting allowing me to get work done on my computer. This hotel provides excellent wireless high speed internet service and it is complimentary for Hilton Honors members (no cost to join).
(4) Reasonable price. AAA and AARP rates are often as low as $140 per night.
(5) Friendly, accommodating staff!
(6) Excellent, high quality, generous breakfast. Made to order eggs and other breakfast specialties.
I have always made my reservations for this hotel through Hilton's reservation system and have never had any glitches, even with very late arrivals.
One very unexpected surprise in this hotel is the restaurant. Normally, you wouldn't expect a particularly good eating establishment in this type of lodging facility, but the contrary is true! The restaurant is quite good and reasonably priced. It is definitely worth trying!
The only got'cha is that this hotel is hard to find if you don't know where to look for it. It is located in the back of a shopping mall with a Sears Roebuck and various other chain stores. The signage for the hotel from the street (Madonna Road) is nearly non-existent!
To be fair, this isn't a five star luxury hotel. The rooms and their furnishings could use an updating over time. On the other hand, this facility more than meets my needs and probably those of the vast majority of business travelers at the right price. Actually, I consider it a bargain!
(Important note - try to avoid the inward-facing rooms, i.e., the rooms that face the inside dining area instead of facing the outside parking lot. The inward-facing rooms can be subject to more noise than the other rooms!)
Avoid inward-facing rooms!
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear Dov I;
Report response as inappropriate
First of all, thank you for your business - it is truly appreciated. I wish to thank you for the numerous compliments regarding our staff, our services and our facility. We work hard to ensure each guest receives comfortable accomodations and encourage them to take advantage of the many amenities we offer. You echo the thoughts of many of our guests; spacious rooms, clean, complimentary breakfast and evening reception and friendly staff. In addition, I was happy to see that you were able to try out our restaurant in the evening. Our new Chef is doing amazing things!
Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
All the best,
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.