“Great Coffee” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Huntington Beach
“Great Coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The coffee was not the only thing that was great. The rooms were very nicely decorated and since it was a suite you had plenty of room. The location was convenient to both the freeway and shopping. They have a shuttle to the market on Thursdays.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear arthurkHB,

Thank you very much for allowing us the opportunity to hear of your recent experience and that not only was the coffee great that the entire experience was perfect, thank you. We just recently organised a shuttle to deliver our guests safely down town and not needing to be inconvenienced with finding a parking space, although there is a $2.00 per person each way charge we are covering the balance of the cost's for this convenience and service.

We look forward to the opportunity in welcoming you on your next visit to San Luis Obispo.

516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times and are happy to return. The room is clean and comfortable and quiet (so don't be put off by my description that it is a great family hotel... it was very quiet). The manager's reception and breakfast have good food and nice seating. My daughter enjoyed the indoor pool.

The location is near lots of shopping and restaurants with a McDonald's, Panera, and Denny's close by. The on-site restaurant was very expensive. We almost ordered room service at 10:05 pm but discovered it ended at 10 pm. It is easy to forget to eat dinner after indulging at the manager's reception.

We used to see a lot of people with dogs at this hotel, but they had a rather stern sign up in the hotel room saying "We are no longer a dog friendly hotel. $300 fine for having dog in the room." I was kind of surprised at the tone of that sign, but as I don't have a dog it doesn't affect me. However I wonder if a lot of recurring guests show up with their dogs and have an unpleasant surprise.

On our last day my daughter woke up feeling sick (later we found she was coming down with the flu...) and she was not feeling well. We were all in a bit of a grumpy mood with a grumpy child.Then the breakfast manager, Alfred, appeared and offered a cough drop for my daughter and he talked to us and made us all smile. He really improved our day. And now whenever we are grumpy, we keep saying to ourselves "We need to be more like Alfred."

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear SnoodMama,

Thank you so very much for your valuable time and allowing us to not only continue what we are doing so well but also areas that we can improve on. I must say that when a guest comments and actually references one of our very own this is by far the best review we can ever receive, I love that you continue to reference "Being like Alfred". Alfred is exceptional, his work ethic, personality, and enthusiasm are second to none and that we are very fortunate to have him as part of the team.

I would also like to thank you for your suggestion on verbiage on the new sign in the suites referencing the unfortunate new guest's with pet's policy and agree, we are re-writing this and will have them replaced upon delivery.

Thank you again and truly appreciate you and your family being our guest, until next time.

Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Recently stayed here, but unfortunately we were there when there was a basketball tournament. The hotel was loud and breakfast was extremely crowded. The front desk staff however were very cheerful and helpful. The room was decent, but starting to show its age. We could hear kids running up and down most nights until midnight. It seemed the high school kids were crammed into rooms and being typical teenagers. Wife enjoyed working out at the gym and said the pool was very nice. Wouldn't mind staying here again, if there are no sports tournaments nearby. On Thursday nights, the hotel offers a shuttle service to take you to/from the downtown street fair. There is a small fee for this service, however it beats trying to find/pay for parking downtown.

Room Tip: For quieter room, try staying in a room opposite the 101 freeway.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Tempdragon,

A very Happy New Year and thank you for being our guest during the Holiday Season of 2012, I apologise for the inconvenience that you experienced with our rather large volume of guest's that week. We have the pleasure in being host to a local tournament that brings High School basketball teams from around the State and Country, which is brilliant for these young gentlemen, but can be overwhelming for our other guests, and again am sorry for that.

I am delighted that you and your wife thoroughly enjoyed our facilities with new fitness centre equipment and our perfectly clean pool (thanks to the Engineering department).

Our Front Desk team thought up the shuttle service to and from the Thursday night Farmers Market and really happy you took advantage of that.

We thank you again for being our guest and certainly look forward to your next visit in San Luis Obispo.

Cheers
Oakley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The only downside we could find to this hotel is that it's oddly hard to find - although it's a large, multi-story building it's situated at the back of a large shopping center and we didn't see any signs on the street, so we had a bit of a search for it when we first arrived. This is a classic style Embassy Suites with the large center atrium and skylight roof. I was very pleased to discover that the evening Manager's Reception featured not just one, but two locally-brewed craft beers - bravo on that score. Breakfast the next morning was typical of the included breakfast at a hotel like this, but we were impressed with how hard the staff worked to keep tables clean and ready for the next guests. We presume the parents of many Cal Poly students stay here, since the restaurant had a big sign informing us they serve only Cal Poly eggs!

Our room was quite large and well equipped and although it overlooked the front of the hotel and the parking lot there was no noise issue. My daughter and her husband were in a different part of the hotel, sharing a huge private patio with a half dozen other rooms. In warmer weather that could be a very nice setup for a group travelling together or celebrating a special event.

Overall, we'll be happy to stay here again on a future visit to San Luis Obispo.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Michael K,

A very Happy New Year to you and your family, thank you for taking your valuable time to furnish your experience with other future guests. Without guests like you we are unable to applaud our team for everything they do so very well, or make adjustments to ensure perfect.

I am delighted that you found the evening reception's selection of refreshments plentiful and enjoyable we have a fantastic relationship with both Firestone Brewery and Tap It Brewery's here in the County, and Calpoly and not only purchase fresh egg's for the breakfast from them, but also have their wine as our house selection and a number of other items, including T-Shirts in the gift shop.

We certainly look forward to the next opportunity to see you and your family when your plans bring you back to SLO.

Cheers
Belmont, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

When we arrived to the hotel at 3pm on 12/26, the poor woman at the desk (Nora), already had her hands full. She had a line out the door, all phones were lit up, and she was doing the best she could to handle it all in stride. I really felt bad for her, as she should have had backup during the usually busy check-in time. She reamined sweet and professional through it all!
Nora let me know that the room I had reserved (A king, with an adjoining queen) would not be available due to a leak in the queen bathroom. Apparently there were no other rooms with this configuration, so Nora looked to get us two adjoining kings. Unfortunately, we got the kids and all of the luggage up to the second floor, and found that the rooms weren't adjoining after all.
I went back to the lobby, and by this time, another rep (Trenton, I think?) was there with Nora. He looked in the computer, and said that he couldn't find any more adjoining rooms at all. He apologized for the inconvenience, and asked what he could do to make it up to me. I told him that I REALLY needed adjoining rooms, since we have small kids, and I wouldn't have booked the suites if that wasn't possible. I signaled for Nora, and she eventually brought over a paper map and showed him the ones she thought were free. She suggested to give us an upgrade to an executive suite, but Trenton decided he was going to leave the desk, go upstairs and check to see if the rooms listed were indeed adjoining. He came back about 10 minutes later, let me know that he found two rooms, and finally got me checked in. To his credit, he did offer me a free wireless access code and a free movie to make up for the inconvenience.
After traveling all day with 2 kids, it was really frustrating to have check-in take 1 1/2 hours from start to finish! The upgrade would have been a nice touch!
All in all, a nice hotel, yummy breakfast and a great manager's reception. The staff was all very friendly and the hotel was well maintained. I also thought the staff handled the power outage very well! I just think the hotel needs to make sure they have 2 people on shift to get folks checked in!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear LisaK,

A very Happy New Year to you and your family, I am terribly sorry for the initial experience you and your family had upon your arrival, we certainly had a hiccup in our scheduling and this affected you and other guest's upon arrival. Nora is fantastic as are the entire front desk team and I will never take that for granted, I certainly have apologised to the front desk team for our scheduling error on the 26th December as most all of the time we always have at least two colleagues to support each other along with a number of others that can use the front desk system.

Again I can only apologise to you and the team for this error, I am delighted and thankful that you all had a brilliant rest of your stay and that your travels were safe back home.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you as our guest on your next visit back to San Luis Obispo.

Kind regards,
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived on 12/26 for a three-night stay. This was our second stay here and were delighted (again) with the hotel. The staff was very friendly and did "the little things" to make our stay even better.

After we returned from dinner on our first night, there was a letter that was slid under the door with our "Hilton Gold welcome letter". There was a note attached to it apologizing for not having the letter in our room upon our arrival. As a consolation, we were offered two free bottles of water and a salty snack. Again, a little thing, but very thoughtful!

The second night there was a power outage and the hotel was on backup power for about an hour (which only powered the hallways, but not the rooms). The staff of the hotel made what could've been a difficult situation quite bearable. About 15 minutes into the outage, a staff member came to our room, explained the situation, and gave us a glow stick. What a nice touch!

Each morning, the free breakfast was a great start to each day (made to order omelettes, fruits, eggs, pancakes, cereals, and more). The gym equipment has also been recently upgraded, which was great!

We highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear fredly19,

Thank you Thank you your gracious commentary are welcomed and shared with the entire team. I am very grateful for the people I work with here at the Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo and again will never take them for granted, it is the small things, and I appreciate your mentioning them.

The evening team the evening of the outage, did exemplify service and that priority was foremost for safety and comfort, they communicated and delivered light sticks, and believe that my colleagues extended the complimentary evening reception also, fortunately the power came back on in about an hour for us and approximately 600 other businesses/customers.

It is a delight to have you as our guest and appreciate your comments.

Looking forward to stay number 3.

Visalia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I wasn't sure if I would like this because it is inland and I like staying at the coast, but it was very nice. Very close to beaches (about 15 minutes) lots of stores and restaurants within walking distance.

Out room was very comfortable, and the service was excellent. The breakfast that comes with the room was fantastic with a cook to order omelet bar.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Shippy62,

Thank you for being our guest and taking your valuable time to congratulate the team here at the Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo. Your, as all reviews are shared with the entire team to ensure that we are delivering our responsibility.

It was and will continue to be our pleasure to serve you and look forward to the next opportunity.

Tim

Been to Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!