“Very pleasant” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakley, California
“Very pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The only downside we could find to this hotel is that it's oddly hard to find - although it's a large, multi-story building it's situated at the back of a large shopping center and we didn't see any signs on the street, so we had a bit of a search for it when we first arrived. This is a classic style Embassy Suites with the large center atrium and skylight roof. I was very pleased to discover that the evening Manager's Reception featured not just one, but two locally-brewed craft beers - bravo on that score. Breakfast the next morning was typical of the included breakfast at a hotel like this, but we were impressed with how hard the staff worked to keep tables clean and ready for the next guests. We presume the parents of many Cal Poly students stay here, since the restaurant had a big sign informing us they serve only Cal Poly eggs!

Our room was quite large and well equipped and although it overlooked the front of the hotel and the parking lot there was no noise issue. My daughter and her husband were in a different part of the hotel, sharing a huge private patio with a half dozen other rooms. In warmer weather that could be a very nice setup for a group travelling together or celebrating a special event.

Overall, we'll be happy to stay here again on a future visit to San Luis Obispo.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Michael K,

A very Happy New Year to you and your family, thank you for taking your valuable time to furnish your experience with other future guests. Without guests like you we are unable to applaud our team for everything they do so very well, or make adjustments to ensure perfect.

I am delighted that you found the evening reception's selection of refreshments plentiful and enjoyable we have a fantastic relationship with both Firestone Brewery and Tap It Brewery's here in the County, and Calpoly and not only purchase fresh egg's for the breakfast from them, but also have their wine as our house selection and a number of other items, including T-Shirts in the gift shop.

We certainly look forward to the next opportunity to see you and your family when your plans bring you back to SLO.

Cheers
Tim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Belmont, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

When we arrived to the hotel at 3pm on 12/26, the poor woman at the desk (Nora), already had her hands full. She had a line out the door, all phones were lit up, and she was doing the best she could to handle it all in stride. I really felt bad for her, as she should have had backup during the usually busy check-in time. She reamined sweet and professional through it all!
Nora let me know that the room I had reserved (A king, with an adjoining queen) would not be available due to a leak in the queen bathroom. Apparently there were no other rooms with this configuration, so Nora looked to get us two adjoining kings. Unfortunately, we got the kids and all of the luggage up to the second floor, and found that the rooms weren't adjoining after all.
I went back to the lobby, and by this time, another rep (Trenton, I think?) was there with Nora. He looked in the computer, and said that he couldn't find any more adjoining rooms at all. He apologized for the inconvenience, and asked what he could do to make it up to me. I told him that I REALLY needed adjoining rooms, since we have small kids, and I wouldn't have booked the suites if that wasn't possible. I signaled for Nora, and she eventually brought over a paper map and showed him the ones she thought were free. She suggested to give us an upgrade to an executive suite, but Trenton decided he was going to leave the desk, go upstairs and check to see if the rooms listed were indeed adjoining. He came back about 10 minutes later, let me know that he found two rooms, and finally got me checked in. To his credit, he did offer me a free wireless access code and a free movie to make up for the inconvenience.
After traveling all day with 2 kids, it was really frustrating to have check-in take 1 1/2 hours from start to finish! The upgrade would have been a nice touch!
All in all, a nice hotel, yummy breakfast and a great manager's reception. The staff was all very friendly and the hotel was well maintained. I also thought the staff handled the power outage very well! I just think the hotel needs to make sure they have 2 people on shift to get folks checked in!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear LisaK,

A very Happy New Year to you and your family, I am terribly sorry for the initial experience you and your family had upon your arrival, we certainly had a hiccup in our scheduling and this affected you and other guest's upon arrival. Nora is fantastic as are the entire front desk team and I will never take that for granted, I certainly have apologised to the front desk team for our scheduling error on the 26th December as most all of the time we always have at least two colleagues to support each other along with a number of others that can use the front desk system.

Again I can only apologise to you and the team for this error, I am delighted and thankful that you all had a brilliant rest of your stay and that your travels were safe back home.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you as our guest on your next visit back to San Luis Obispo.

Kind regards,
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived on 12/26 for a three-night stay. This was our second stay here and were delighted (again) with the hotel. The staff was very friendly and did "the little things" to make our stay even better.

After we returned from dinner on our first night, there was a letter that was slid under the door with our "Hilton Gold welcome letter". There was a note attached to it apologizing for not having the letter in our room upon our arrival. As a consolation, we were offered two free bottles of water and a salty snack. Again, a little thing, but very thoughtful!

The second night there was a power outage and the hotel was on backup power for about an hour (which only powered the hallways, but not the rooms). The staff of the hotel made what could've been a difficult situation quite bearable. About 15 minutes into the outage, a staff member came to our room, explained the situation, and gave us a glow stick. What a nice touch!

Each morning, the free breakfast was a great start to each day (made to order omelettes, fruits, eggs, pancakes, cereals, and more). The gym equipment has also been recently upgraded, which was great!

We highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear fredly19,

Thank you Thank you your gracious commentary are welcomed and shared with the entire team. I am very grateful for the people I work with here at the Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo and again will never take them for granted, it is the small things, and I appreciate your mentioning them.

The evening team the evening of the outage, did exemplify service and that priority was foremost for safety and comfort, they communicated and delivered light sticks, and believe that my colleagues extended the complimentary evening reception also, fortunately the power came back on in about an hour for us and approximately 600 other businesses/customers.

It is a delight to have you as our guest and appreciate your comments.

Looking forward to stay number 3.

Visalia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I wasn't sure if I would like this because it is inland and I like staying at the coast, but it was very nice. Very close to beaches (about 15 minutes) lots of stores and restaurants within walking distance.

Out room was very comfortable, and the service was excellent. The breakfast that comes with the room was fantastic with a cook to order omelet bar.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Shippy62,

Thank you for being our guest and taking your valuable time to congratulate the team here at the Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo. Your, as all reviews are shared with the entire team to ensure that we are delivering our responsibility.

It was and will continue to be our pleasure to serve you and look forward to the next opportunity.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on our trip up the coast. The hotel was packed due to some high school sports tournament were requested and got a room with two queen beds. The room seemed days away from the elevator but that proved to be a blessing when we saw what the kids were up to in the front of the hotel. Check I was quick and we got to our room. As this was half way through the trip we needed to do some laundry. The laundry facilities worked fine. The rooms were comfortable and the queen beds were larger than the double beds we have had in other hotels so that was nice. The rooms could use a facelift, especially the bathrooms. The fridge was also so loud we had to shut it off. The next morning we had the complimentary breakfast which was the best we have had in the last 7 days is staying at Embassy Suites. The staff were helpful and the Internet was only $2.95, a bargain over the other Embassy Suites, although I don't believe any hotel should be charging for Internet in 2012!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear EP05313,

Firstly thank you for being our and the Embassy Suites guest during your stay in California, we are delighted that your stay and experience was excellent and with your commentary we can certainly improve, with items such as ensuring the refrigerator's are working efficiently and quite. I am very proud indeed of the entire team here and especially the breakfast team that deliver a legendary breakfast and make it just a little better. Safe travels home and we look forward to the next opportunity to see you again.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I think I really want to give a 3 1/2, but went with a 4 on the strength of the staff service. I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a business trip. The hotel was not crowded and they upgraded my room, which was nice. I haven't stayed in SLO before, so don't know what the other options are. This hotel was dated, older carpet in the rooms, and basic furniture. The rooms have a small refrigerator and microwave, as well as a hot water maker. The staff was really friendly and helpful, including making restaurant recommendations. Breakfast service was good too. Location is right at the back of a major shopping center, and right off the 101 freeway. Ask for a room not facing the freeway to avoid freeway noise. The hotel was quiet and the bed comfortable. All in all it worked out well for our purposes.

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the 101 freeway