“Excellent Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
“Excellent Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived on 12/26 for a three-night stay. This was our second stay here and were delighted (again) with the hotel. The staff was very friendly and did "the little things" to make our stay even better.

After we returned from dinner on our first night, there was a letter that was slid under the door with our "Hilton Gold welcome letter". There was a note attached to it apologizing for not having the letter in our room upon our arrival. As a consolation, we were offered two free bottles of water and a salty snack. Again, a little thing, but very thoughtful!

The second night there was a power outage and the hotel was on backup power for about an hour (which only powered the hallways, but not the rooms). The staff of the hotel made what could've been a difficult situation quite bearable. About 15 minutes into the outage, a staff member came to our room, explained the situation, and gave us a glow stick. What a nice touch!

Each morning, the free breakfast was a great start to each day (made to order omelettes, fruits, eggs, pancakes, cereals, and more). The gym equipment has also been recently upgraded, which was great!

We highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear fredly19,

Thank you Thank you your gracious commentary are welcomed and shared with the entire team. I am very grateful for the people I work with here at the Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo and again will never take them for granted, it is the small things, and I appreciate your mentioning them.

The evening team the evening of the outage, did exemplify service and that priority was foremost for safety and comfort, they communicated and delivered light sticks, and believe that my colleagues extended the complimentary evening reception also, fortunately the power came back on in about an hour for us and approximately 600 other businesses/customers.

It is a delight to have you as our guest and appreciate your comments.

Looking forward to stay number 3.

Tim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Visalia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I wasn't sure if I would like this because it is inland and I like staying at the coast, but it was very nice. Very close to beaches (about 15 minutes) lots of stores and restaurants within walking distance.

Out room was very comfortable, and the service was excellent. The breakfast that comes with the room was fantastic with a cook to order omelet bar.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Shippy62,

Thank you for being our guest and taking your valuable time to congratulate the team here at the Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo. Your, as all reviews are shared with the entire team to ensure that we are delivering our responsibility.

It was and will continue to be our pleasure to serve you and look forward to the next opportunity.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on our trip up the coast. The hotel was packed due to some high school sports tournament were requested and got a room with two queen beds. The room seemed days away from the elevator but that proved to be a blessing when we saw what the kids were up to in the front of the hotel. Check I was quick and we got to our room. As this was half way through the trip we needed to do some laundry. The laundry facilities worked fine. The rooms were comfortable and the queen beds were larger than the double beds we have had in other hotels so that was nice. The rooms could use a facelift, especially the bathrooms. The fridge was also so loud we had to shut it off. The next morning we had the complimentary breakfast which was the best we have had in the last 7 days is staying at Embassy Suites. The staff were helpful and the Internet was only $2.95, a bargain over the other Embassy Suites, although I don't believe any hotel should be charging for Internet in 2012!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear EP05313,

Firstly thank you for being our and the Embassy Suites guest during your stay in California, we are delighted that your stay and experience was excellent and with your commentary we can certainly improve, with items such as ensuring the refrigerator's are working efficiently and quite. I am very proud indeed of the entire team here and especially the breakfast team that deliver a legendary breakfast and make it just a little better. Safe travels home and we look forward to the next opportunity to see you again.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I think I really want to give a 3 1/2, but went with a 4 on the strength of the staff service. I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a business trip. The hotel was not crowded and they upgraded my room, which was nice. I haven't stayed in SLO before, so don't know what the other options are. This hotel was dated, older carpet in the rooms, and basic furniture. The rooms have a small refrigerator and microwave, as well as a hot water maker. The staff was really friendly and helpful, including making restaurant recommendations. Breakfast service was good too. Location is right at the back of a major shopping center, and right off the 101 freeway. Ask for a room not facing the freeway to avoid freeway noise. The hotel was quiet and the bed comfortable. All in all it worked out well for our purposes.

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the 101 freeway
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear cds_SanFrancisco,

Thank you Thank you very much appreciate you as our guest and your comments, I thank you for complementing the exceptional team of people here, we are indeed very fortunate indeed, but it also takes fantastic and appreciative guests too. We are maturing but as mentioned earlier we are expecting a renovation this coming next year, but until then we will take great pride in our surroundings and take care of the team and our guest's.

We certainly look forward to the next opportunity to accommodate you should your travels bring you back to San Luis Obispo.

San Diego CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have said before that this hotel is hard to find, but worth the trouble. The front desk people and all of the staff are terrific and very pleasant. They just replaced all of the fitness equipment with the latest and greatest Precor elypticals, treadmills and rower. It is a great workout room right above the pool. While the hotel and staff are fantastic, we noticed this time that the hotel is getting really "tired" looking. The carpeting is worn out, the room case goods are worn and the common areas smelled like smoke, all a bit disappointing. Since we are frequent visitors, it will not stop us from staying there, but I'd they do not upgrade soon, they will start losing business to the newer hotels, including a new Hampton Inn and the newer Marriott.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Nadojeff,

Thank you for being our guest Sir and delighted that you were able to experience the brand new fitness centre equipment and perhaps more importantly your experience with the team here in San Luis Obispo, I am very lucky to be a part of this team.

We continue to better our facility and ensure it's cleanliness and aesthetics, we are expecting to complete a renovation this coming next year, but prior to that we will continue to ensure that our facility is clean and that the team compensate for a little maturity of the furnishings.

Thank you again and look forward to the opportunity to see and hopefully meet you in person on your next visit to San Luis Obispo.

Lancaster, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. I was very impressed with the staff's willingness to please, and the breakfast was great too. It was my first time taking advantage of Embassy Suites free breakfast, and it's not just pastries and fruit! They have free "cook-to-order" breakfast for omlettes, fresh pancakes, hashbrowns, sausage, bacon, and eggs, as well as the usual bagels, pastries, cereal and fruit. I was stuffed!

Also, shortly after I checked into my hotel room, I noticed I had a small maintenance issue. I called back to the front desk, who immediately found me another room and gave me a dinner voucher for the restaurant. After changing rooms, I realized I had left my bottle of water in the old room. Feeling sheepish, I approached the front desk about my bottle of water. She gladly found me two cool bottles of water to replace the one I forgot. Needless to say, the service was great, and all done with a smile!

The hotel itself and rooms were nice. I liked how it opened into a huge atrium (where restaurant and bar were), and that was decorated for Christmas. The rooms have a mini-fridge, sink, and microwave. I was here for business, but will probably consider staying here for vacation with my husband as well.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the atrium tend to get some noise from the restaurant opening and closing. Was not...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Purpltaz27,

A pleasure to have you as our guest, I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our complimentary cooked to order breakfast that we as a brand are quite legendary for. We do take tremendous pride in our hotel and our hope is indeed to deliver excellence and I am thrilled that your experience and interaction with the team here was brilliant.

I am sorry for the inconvenience you had upon your arrival and glad that my colleagues corrected as soon as you made mention.

We certainly look forward to the next opportunity to see you and hopefully your husband next visit to San Luis Obispo.

Cheers