“I'll probably be back” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lancaster, ca
“I'll probably be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. I was very impressed with the staff's willingness to please, and the breakfast was great too. It was my first time taking advantage of Embassy Suites free breakfast, and it's not just pastries and fruit! They have free "cook-to-order" breakfast for omlettes, fresh pancakes, hashbrowns, sausage, bacon, and eggs, as well as the usual bagels, pastries, cereal and fruit. I was stuffed!

Also, shortly after I checked into my hotel room, I noticed I had a small maintenance issue. I called back to the front desk, who immediately found me another room and gave me a dinner voucher for the restaurant. After changing rooms, I realized I had left my bottle of water in the old room. Feeling sheepish, I approached the front desk about my bottle of water. She gladly found me two cool bottles of water to replace the one I forgot. Needless to say, the service was great, and all done with a smile!

The hotel itself and rooms were nice. I liked how it opened into a huge atrium (where restaurant and bar were), and that was decorated for Christmas. The rooms have a mini-fridge, sink, and microwave. I was here for business, but will probably consider staying here for vacation with my husband as well.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the atrium tend to get some noise from the restaurant opening and closing. Was not...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Purpltaz27,

A pleasure to have you as our guest, I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our complimentary cooked to order breakfast that we as a brand are quite legendary for. We do take tremendous pride in our hotel and our hope is indeed to deliver excellence and I am thrilled that your experience and interaction with the team here was brilliant.

I am sorry for the inconvenience you had upon your arrival and glad that my colleagues corrected as soon as you made mention.

We certainly look forward to the next opportunity to see you and hopefully your husband next visit to San Luis Obispo.

510 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Porterville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My family & I have stayed here 3 times between mid Oct-end of Nov 2012. Total of 7 nights. Very clean & exceptionally courteous & eager-to-please staff (most of younger staff apparently are local college students). All rooms have microwaves, refrigerators. Free hotfood, fruit, cereals, breads/muffins breakfast buffet & made to order omelets plus. Mgr Reception 2-hr eve FREE beverages (including well & mixed alcoholic) & appitizers. Indoor hot tub & pool. Only down-side is some room locations could be on noisy side. If this is issue for you, ask for room away from freeway-side.

Finding Hotel the first time is definately a challenge, best suggestion I can give you is as you drive up Madonna Rd toward Mtn, the shopping Center is on your left. Pass McDonalds & Starbucks & (if in standard vehicle) turn LEFT AT APPLEBEE's Restaurant (this access road will dead end you into SEARs on your left & back side of EMBASSY Suites on your right). If you are in Motorhome or other oversized vehicle, I'd suggest you pass Applebee's & take the next LEFT turn at the US Post Office (it's another access road, a little bumpy, but is less traveled and takes you directly to front entance of Hotel & shopping center's far end parking lot). Once you get settled, then try other options. There are shopping options galore within a mile of Hotel (at least 5 different shopping centers), including ones with Costco & Trader Joes, & numerous eating options for various budgets, also next door to Market, that also carries speciality foods. That in mind, however, we were VERY pleased with dinners we had at the Hotel's restaurant, when were were just too tired to go out.

If have mobility issues: We stayed in standard suite first visit & Handicapped suites for next 2 visits. They have 2 options for HQ suites both with handrails, (1) roll-in shower & (2) tub/shower, both well set-up, lots of space. Lots of flat, available parking for all types of vehicles (hotel located at rear of large shopping center next to 101 Fwy). Flat level entrance with automated bi-fold front door, ramps to Atrium Courtyard & Bar. Ramp to INDOOR handrailed HOTTUB & Pool on ground floor(only problem here is due to limited space around pool, the pool loungers & chairs sometimes can make it difficult to get to the entrances to hottub & pool without moving these items). There is also a separate large service elevator available for use that will take you to just outside the entrances to the pools & exercise area, if you are on an upper floor away from lobby. The 2 different HQ rooms on 2 different stays that we stayed in were #103 & #108 located on North side away from freeway were Quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms next to freeway are noisy, I needed earplugs to sleep. BUT on when we moved to opposite side...
Dear OvrHillPicNupSpeed,

Thank you for being our guest and one that continues to be our guest, I am delighted that you congratulated the team here as they are fabulous, we are very lucky and will never take them or our guest for granted.

I very much appreciate your assisting our future guests with directions and sharing our wonderful amenities that they too will enjoy.

Really look forward to seeing and meeting you in person the next time you are in San Luis Obispo.
Thank you.
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Traveling up to SLO to meet daughter's boyfriend's parents, we wanted a nice place with numerous amenities, and of course, the Embassy Suites always have great amenities. It was Thanksgiving week so the place was booked solid.
We enjoyed the Happy Hour and the breakfast, both complimentary. Snacks at Happy Hour were sufficient, veggie tray, chips and salsa, popcorn and a Chinese cracker mix as well as an appetizer menu with prices in the average range. Breakfast was either hot, cooked to order or buffet. The only upsetting thing to me was there were dogs in the dining area on Thursday morning. Friday morning, one of the gentleman that works there made sure no one brought their dogs into the dining area. I'm not an animal hater, but to have allowed dogs into the eating area really upset me. The dogs were even in the area at Happy Hour. Management really needs to address this issue, perhaps by posting a sign that states no dogs in the Atrium area.
Our room had 2 queen beds, both very comfy. The room was located directly above the entrance which had very bright lights and music that played until almost 11, not necessarily a plus. The bath had a shower/tub combo and there was a separate sink area outside the bathroom. I had read many reviews on this property and totally agree with those that said the sitting area needed up-dating. The furniture, queen hide-a-bed and chair were so old that you literally sank to the bottom in them, very uncomfortable. Putting that aside, the suite was very clean and well stocked with towels, pillows, blanket, glasses and toiletries.
Locating the hotel might have been impossible without the aid of Siri. It is off the beaten track, in a shopping mall at the back.
Everyone that we encountered that worked there was very courteous, helpful and attentive. All in all, it was a pleasant stay and I would probably go back if the need arose for me to travel to that area for an extended length of time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not directly above the front entrance.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Dancingeyes,

Thank you for taking the time to deliver this commentary on your recent experience, thank you for allowing us to continue to just get that much better. I am very sorry that our guest's with pet's were using the atrium during both evening reception and breakfast and that unless they are assistance animals we do ask that pet's are kept to the upper level of the hallways and/or in their suites. This policy is in place and that your commentary has allowed me to understand the need to deliver consistently.

Our facility is one we are very proud of and I am delighted that the team here continues to deliver clean, safe, and with a smile.

Thank you again, as without you we can not improve. Looking forward to seeing you in your next visit to San Luis Obispo.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We recently stayed here for our visit to Hearst castle. We were very happy with our stay at this property. The rooms was clean and the beds were comfortable. The employees of this property are exceptionally friendly. We were also pleased to be able to bring our small dog and the kids loved the pool. The only thing I would change at all embassy suites is the amount of chlorine in the pools. its way to strong and pungent.Yes the property is a little dated, but with kids and a dog we don't care about that. . San Luis obispo is a pristine town with very friendly people. By the way all the trip advisors who gave a heads up on the directions.... Thank you! Turn left at the panera and go to end of road and right there embassy suites.

Room Tip: Rooms off the main courtyard are really quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear ohchad,

Thank you very kindly and delighted that you and your family had a fantastic stay here in San Luis Obispo. Appreciate your commentary regarding pool chlorine, I have made sure that our operating standards are and continue to be in place as we check all levels of the pool every two hours, which is vastly more than pool standards warrant. Our Chief Engineer's last position oversaw a 240,000 gallon pool and with ours being 23,000 gallons feel that ours is clean and very limited smell, but again will continue to ensure this is kept up.

Directions are very challenging and I am so happy that other readers and my responses helped you get here a little easier.

We really look forward to seeing you and your family again when your plans bring you to the lovely San Luis Obispo area.

Lompoc, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We've stayed here many times now and appreciate the friendly service, complimentary evening cocktails, terrific breakfast & small but sufficient workout room. We'll stay here many more times for Cal Poly events. This property is also central to everything in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SLOCAES, General Manager at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Dan P,

Thank you and I agree terrific value indeed, and this is across the entire brand. My massive appreciation to you is that you complimented the team for their friendliness, this is my passion and allows us to be just a little different to other hotel stays.

Thank you again and we truly look forward to your next visit to San Luis Obispo and visiting Calpoly.

Marysville, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The room and hotel was clean. I stayed here based on a recommendation of the location to shopping. Needs an update. The service was good and the staff was very helpful. The fitness center could use some additional equipment to compete with other Hilton properties like Hilton Garden Inn,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Michael S,

Thank you and very much appreciate your honesty, as mentioned we are slightly more mature than some other Embassy Suites across the country, but appreciate you stating our cleanliness and team, this is what we can 100% deliver. Our fitness centre equipment, although will not help on this occasion, is being completely changed within the next two weeks as we have a five year full replacement program supported by the Embassy Suites Brand, so you will be seeing brand new equipment across the brand over the next several months.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to San Luis Obispo.
Central Valley Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel was ok. it was kind of hard to find off the 101 freeway central coast area.
It was clean and I would stay there again, but in comparison to other embassy suites it was older and dated.
It is connected to a shopping area and a Tahoe Joes which was nice- we didn't have to drive anywhere.
:-))

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Allegra3201,

Thank you for your time and allowing me to continue to understand what we need to do to continue to get that much better. We are a slightly maturer hotel than some Embassy Suites across the country, however as you saw we maintain very high standards in cleanliness and how we, the team, can deliver excellence.

We continue to improve on our hotel, most recently HD service to all guest suite LCD Televisions, we have fiber optic arriving in the next four weeks that we deliver exceptional service, our fitness centre will be having all new equipment within the next two weeks. Without you are guest informing us of our opportunities and congratulating us on our abilities we cannot deliver perfect, and I thank you for your comments.

Tim

Been to Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!