“Not up to Holiday Inn Express standards” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
California
“Not up to Holiday Inn Express standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

because we were not able to secure accommodations at the Quality Inn and Suites, we made reservations at the Holiday Inn Express. Our room was not ready, but signed papers, etc and the clerk took our cell # to call. Said it shouldn't be long til she called. Better than an hour later I went back . The clerk was sitting outside smoking and the kid on duty indicated that the room and many others were available! Not a good start. Very comfortable bed and clean but very small. Went down for breakfast at 8:00 the next morning. No tables available and it really didn't matter because th food was gone too! Took a coffee to our room. When I pay $400 to stay in a standard room for two nights, I have come to expect more from this chain of hotels. And that was a AAA rate! Will find something else in the future. Not even an acknowledgement of membership in their IHG assn. my club number was on the receipt so I know they were aware of it.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We have been there for just one night. The room was very clean and nice. The breakfast was enjoyable. The location just a few minutes from downtown by foot.

What stood out the most for me was the very helpful and friendly staff. Great experience!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed at this hotel from Feb-May 2015 for about 6 weeks during my travel for work. The staff is great and hotel is nice. My only suggestion is that the breakfast selections should be changed to have more variety.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for your review and breakfast suggestions. We do our best to vary the selection each day from scrambled eggs one day to omelets another as well as bacon and sausage alternating as well. Also our new healthy alternatives have been a big hit with itmes like our Turkey Sausage and Quaker Oatmeals. We hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Staff was pleasant and efficient.
Room was pretty standard fare for the Express.
Breakfast was definitely standard offerings.
If you are looking for predictable lodging that won't excite you either plus or minus, this might be your choice.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I hope that we can show you we can be more than just your standard Holiday Inn Express next time you are with us. We pride ourselves on our service and we value your feedback. We hope you will visit us again.

McKinleyville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Located within walking distance of SLO's lively downtown area, this hotel was a comfortable place to stay and have our 2 day conference. There is much to compliment - ample breakfast choices, coffee and fresh fruit all day, and cookies in the afternoon, plus USA Today newspapers outside our door each morning and rapid check-out option. What is most worthy of comment is the service- all of the staff I worked with over my 3 days there were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. My only complaint - and this isn't a big deal, just something I feel I should mention- is that the walls seem a bit thin and I could hear a lot of what was going on above and beside my room.but this was easily remedied by turning on my tv. Earplugs would solve any night noise issues. But don't let this keep you from staying here - it was very pleasant and we had excellent meals at two restaurants across the street, Apple Farm and Paddy MacGregor's. Ask at the front desk for directions and maybe they'll be able to provide you with discount cards. Great experience overall! (I'm going to rate this place higher because the bed and pillows were so comfortable!)

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I am happy to hear we were able to provide you excellent service while you stayed with us here at the Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo. I am also pleased to read you enjoyed a couple of the great restaurants that San Luis Obispo has to offer. Thank you for your review.

Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel was certainly not bad, but not great either. I agree with other reviewers who state that the pictures are slightly deceiving. Nothing was full on dirty or run down except for the pool/spa area. The rooms were clean and comfortable and we all had a good night's rest in their beds. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast area staff not so much. The pool area needs a makeover, and the gym is mostly an unimpressive treadmill. The location was perfect for us as we needed to be both on campus and downtown. There is an evening troll that can be used to get downtown for fifty cents a person, and we were easily able to walk back in 15-20 min. I would stay here again but I would not call it an impressive stay by any means.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel and please accept our sincerest apologies for the disturbance you have experienced during your stay due to the hotel conditions. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. You caught us as we are gearing up for summer and are addressing these issues. New pool furniture will be here in a week and we are looking into new fitness equipment currently as well. We value your comments and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It was also my birthday during the training session that my company had there for two days so it was nice to get a couple litle gifts from the staff.
A couple of my team members and I asked to have rooms near each other and we were accommodated this time and when we had business in January 2015.
Friendly people, nice location, and a beautiful place to visit.

Room Tip: Make sure the phone lines are working before you place a client in the room :-) Having amicrowave i...