“Would Definitely Stay Here Again” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Long Beach, CA
“Would Definitely Stay Here Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were driving down the 101 & just needed a good place to stay for the night. We were so glad to find this place. Because it was a Holiday Inn Express I knew it had to have some level of quality, but I was pleasantly surprised how nice it was. The price was very good, the staff was very friendly, the room was clean & comfortable and the breakfast "hit the spot".

We've stayed at pricier bed & breakfasts in the area and while we didn't get a chocolate on our pillows or some other cute amenities, the price and the quality of this hotel definitely makes it a recommended spot for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HIXSLOGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Janina72,

Thank you for writing your review of our hotel! We are very happy that our hotel met your needs, that our staff was "friendly", and that your stay was pleasant! We love to hear comments such as that and we are very very happy to been there for you on your drive down the 101!

Have a fantastic new year and please do come back and visit us again!

Joel F. Koper
Holiday Inn Express - San Luis Obispo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I am a pretty low-maintenance traveler, but those things that are important to me when I travel are that much more - important. I am a seasoned Road Warrior and spend several nights each quarter in SLO. I stumbled onto HIE-SLO because they are one of our approved corporate vendors. However, from my first visit I have seen no reason to stay anywhere else and choose this propery for all my visits. The staff is great, they know me and great me by name, the propery is clean and bright and very comfortable. If you stay on Thursday nights, the downtown trolley stops right in front and will whisk you to Market Night in just a few minutes. Otherwise, downtown is just few minutes walk - far enought away for easy parking and access and close enough to walk for Peet's Coffee and meals downtown.

Those important things:
5) Easy parking and access to downtown and HWY 101
6) Very close to campus if that is important to you

RW

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel. As always we strive for our guests to leave happy and satisfied with their stay with us.

Joel F. Koper
Holiday Inn Express - SLO
WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I'm an IHG Gold Member and frequently stay at this hotel chain for work. I recently stayed for one night with my husband and infant son. I called ahead of time to arrange a crib, and it was delivered to the room immediately. This is the only reason that I give this hotel 2 stars and not 1. The hotel lobby is nice looking, but that is where it ends. We were given a top floor room at the end of a hallway. The floor was dirty, there was no microwave in the room (like other HIEs), paint peeling, bathtub did not drain, stains on couch, no coffee table, etc. If we were staying more nights, we would have gone to a different hotel. Breakfast was standard. A couple of funny things: when my husband and I sat on the end of the king-sized bed at the same time, the bed tilted up like a teeter-totter. Second, when we walked in, the bed had been turned down and a single chocolate was on the pillow. We didn't really care about the chocolate, but thought it was funny that a single chocolate was placed in a room where the hotel was aware a family would be staying. I think this really speaks to the lack of communication and attention to detail. I brought up a couple of the maintenance issues with the general manager in the morning and he acted as if he was shocked that the room looked like I described. He was polite, but his response made me feel that he really isn't keeping up on what state the rooms are in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HIXSLOGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and clean accommodations. I am sorry our hotel did not meet this requirement and that we did not live up to your expectations, and regret you were not satisfied with the service you received. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Joel Koper
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The front desk was warm and welcoming with their newly remodeled reception area. As you enter your room you discover that the remodel skipped the guest rooms. Squeeky floors and a 1970's feel blast you into the past.

I might try staying elsewhere. The breakfast absolutely failed to meet any expectations and the maids seem to campout in the halls waiting for you to checkout.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We decided to stop over at San Luis Obispo on our way to San Francisco. We contemplated booking a room at the only Holiday Inn Express in town, but took our chances and arrived late evening at the hotel. The front desk staff was very friendly. We negotiated a great deal on the room price and got an excellent deal that included the breakfast. Being Priority Club members we also got a goodie bag, which had a couple of bottles of juice and a bag of crisps and sweeties.

The room was clean and comfortable, although very basic, typical of any Holiday Inn Express rooms. WiFi was free in the bedrooms, which was an excellent deal. The lady at the front desk provided us with useful information about the local events and places to eat around. One of her dining suggestions was a creek side restaurant named Novo, excellent food and great romantic atmosphere, not to miss if u are planing to have dinner in town.

We were there on a Thursday night, which is the weeknight for the famous Farmers Market in town, and there was a shuttle bus that took us downtown for a dollar, which we boarded from right outside the hotel. The market was awesome and worth a visit.

We had a comfortable stay in San Luis Obispo and will happily stay at this hotel again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We visit our son at calpoly about 3-4 times a year and we always take our golden retriever Murphy. This trip was last minute and we could not find a dog friendly hotel until we called Holiday Inn. We were treated very special from the initial phone call to our meeting with Joel and our breakfast and departure. Murphy had a very comfortable stay and was treated very nice by all the staff. We will make Holiday Inn SLO our first choice for all our future stays. Thank you, Heloise

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Culver City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I checked in at 9pm on a weeknight with a very friendly front desk person. The door for the first room they gave me wouldn't open. On the second attempt at getting me a room, the door opened, but imagine my surprise to find a pair of tennis shoes and a suitcase. Thank god the occupant was not there. I finally could get into an unoccupied room on the third try...which was fine, until the light started flickering and eventually went out. I also tried to get a wake-up call for my early business meeting, only to find the phone ringing and ringing with no one to take my request. Needless to say, I will never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!