“Basic hotel but excellent staff and comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 25%
Ranked #12 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Basic hotel but excellent staff and comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We decided to stop over at San Luis Obispo on our way to San Francisco. We contemplated booking a room at the only Holiday Inn Express in town, but took our chances and arrived late evening at the hotel. The front desk staff was very friendly. We negotiated a great deal on the room price and got an excellent deal that included the breakfast. Being Priority Club members we also got a goodie bag, which had a couple of bottles of juice and a bag of crisps and sweeties.

The room was clean and comfortable, although very basic, typical of any Holiday Inn Express rooms. WiFi was free in the bedrooms, which was an excellent deal. The lady at the front desk provided us with useful information about the local events and places to eat around. One of her dining suggestions was a creek side restaurant named Novo, excellent food and great romantic atmosphere, not to miss if u are planing to have dinner in town.

We were there on a Thursday night, which is the weeknight for the famous Farmers Market in town, and there was a shuttle bus that took us downtown for a dollar, which we boarded from right outside the hotel. The market was awesome and worth a visit.

We had a comfortable stay in San Luis Obispo and will happily stay at this hotel again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We visit our son at calpoly about 3-4 times a year and we always take our golden retriever Murphy. This trip was last minute and we could not find a dog friendly hotel until we called Holiday Inn. We were treated very special from the initial phone call to our meeting with Joel and our breakfast and departure. Murphy had a very comfortable stay and was treated very nice by all the staff. We will make Holiday Inn SLO our first choice for all our future stays. Thank you, Heloise

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Culver City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I checked in at 9pm on a weeknight with a very friendly front desk person. The door for the first room they gave me wouldn't open. On the second attempt at getting me a room, the door opened, but imagine my surprise to find a pair of tennis shoes and a suitcase. Thank god the occupant was not there. I finally could get into an unoccupied room on the third try...which was fine, until the light started flickering and eventually went out. I also tried to get a wake-up call for my early business meeting, only to find the phone ringing and ringing with no one to take my request. Needless to say, I will never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dickerson, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here while in town on business. Consistent with other Holiday Inn Express Hotels. Easy to get a government rate room within per diem rate. Biscuits for biscuits and gravy were a bit small and not as flaky as I've had at other ones, but overall nothing to complain about.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in San Luis Obispo as a night stop over on our way to San Francisco, The staff are really friendly and the room was nice but the bathroom was really old fashioned, it was a little bit overpriced but it was a nice relaxing stop over.

Also San Luis Obispo is a nice little town waiting to be explored.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

the appearance of the hotel was nice. its one of the nicer looking hotels in san luis obispo. my room was just okay and did not reflect how nice the lobby and outside of the hotel was. the bed was clean and comfortable. the reason i would not stay here again is because i was charged $219 for one night. this is utterly obsurd....a holiday inn should not cost this much. i feel like i was totally ripped off and taken advantage of by being charged so much. they told me that the whole city was booked up, so i had to stay there...after a long drive, i could not drive any more. this is a $99 a night hotel room, not $200+!!!

Room Tip: call ahead of time to see how much the room will cost...don't get ripped off like me.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rock Hill, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I thought it was long gone but Ian, who i think was the evening manager, blew me away with his fantastic service! Wow! I never knew a front desk clerk could be so warm and honestly welcoming and thankful that I was there. I had my share of travel issues since i had no reservation setup but he very quickly and in a very friendly way made sure I had everything I needed. I felt bad because I was a bit tired and crabby at the time but he really tried to reassure me he would have me relaxed and in a comfortable room soon. It was almost too much but darn it if I didn't soak it all up and enjoy the service. I couldn't work the AC at about 10:30pm and he ever so smoothly talked me through it all the while offering to come and check it personally (by the way, there was nothing wrong with it, just me). I needed an extra blanket and he was there faster than i could make it from the phone to the door! Seriously why can't every hotel I stay at have someone that genuinely seems to care about the people in their hotel? I know this review is long but if you get a chance to come to SLO as they call it, stay here. The rooms are nice and they match the staff!

Room Tip: I liked to room Ian got me overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!