“Very Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Chicago, IL
“Very Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

I attended Cal Poly University in '68-'69 and the Somerset was a well established motel then.

Best Western is always a good value and the current owners of Somerset have modernized the bathrooms and freshened-up the rooms.

Great location. Easy on-off access to Hwy 101 freeway. Close to University campus. Free trolley service to Historic downtown. Several restaurants within walking distance.

Better than average courtesy breakfast offered in the morning (cook your own waffles!)

Recommended.

• Stayed April 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Northumberland, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2005

Stopped here in the beginning of April 2005.
What can I say!! $100 per night including breakfast for 4 and given the two room "suite" without asking.
This hotel is a motel but for the price I don't think you can complain.
The staff were very friendly and the room was clean and tidy. The bathroom was OK (no mould) but a little small.
My kids loved the breakfast especially the waffle maker.
I didn't have time to use the pool, so I can't comment on that.

San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2005

Reviews I read led me to believe this place was quite a bit nicer than it was. Bottom line? It is an old motel. Yes, they have painted the large rooms and added nice crown moulding -- but I'm more concerned with the mold in the bathroom. A wall in our bathroom had a critical case of it. The only other real gripe was the filth in the jacuzzi. Other than that, it is basically a convenient little quick-road-trip motel. The free breakfast was adequate ( the kids loved the waffle makers), and location is good. Our toilet clogged on the last day and I heard someone else in the lobby discussing a plumbing issue. So, just a warning--you shouldn't expect much and don't pay over $100 a night for this place (like I did)!

• Stayed April 2005
, NEW General Manager at BEST WESTERN Somerset Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2005
All forty rooms have been thoroughly inspected and treated. In addition, the plumbing has been professionally snaked and repaired in just the past two weeks. We are very serious about maintaining the highest standards and providing the utmost in quality customer service.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2005

The Actual stay at the hotel was uneventfl enough aside from bored staff members. But upon leaving purse in Hotel room and organising with manager that it was indeed in their custody, the Hotel chose that it would be easiest for them to courier (fedex) it to me directly to my home in New Zealand. Charged my parents and all on their credit card for postage fees. Thats fine as long as it arrives except it dosen't so a month later i call them leave messages no reply. I called the head office and they called the hotel with no reply also (the hotel doesn't not have internet capibilities no email nothing its ridiculous). Finally i get through to an actual person and they tell me i gave them the wrong zip which is untrue. They told me for the second time that they would post it. four weeks later again and no bag. I called them again and the front desk clek says he has no idea about any bag and will leave a message with his manager. It isn't like i just lost my wallet I lost a vintage carved leather bag which cannot be replaced, oriton wallet, gucci rush, anna sui sui dreams (perfume brands), digital camera, jewlery souviners etc. I'm so angry and think best western have done a terrible job at sorting this out both the head office and the shonky franchise.

• Stayed December 2004
I am the new General Manager as of just three weeks ago, and upon arrival one of the first things I did was personally call the guest in New Zealand to apologize for the inconvenience and try to see if there was anything I could do to remedy the situation. After a brief conversation, I explained that I would immediately send the articles and should she need any further assistance not to hesitate to call me at any time.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2004

I read the reviews from Trip Advisor & decided to give the Somerset a try for my weekend trip to visit Hearst Castle & visit SLO.

My b/f & I were pleasantly surprised at how nice their rooms were! Not bad at all for a motel! The complimentary breakfast made our stay even better :). It's no Embassy Suites (where we normally stay at) but what a treat for a motel!

The only minor "complaint" was that there were hairs in the tub from the previous visitor. Kind of gross but NOT horrible.

GREAT PRICE for a GREAT motel! HIGHLY recommended if you're on a budget! The Embassy that weekend was charging over $300 a night & we got the Somerset for only $99...awesome deal for what we got!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2004

We went to San Luis Obispo as it was an approx 6 hour drive for us from the Desert in CA , it was a good place to stop for the night on our way to BIG SUR and San Francisco. BOY what a delight it was to see a clean hotel room at the Best Western Somerset, within walking distance to about 3 restaurants. We checked out all three but choose one called the Apple Farm. FANTASTIC FOOD and hospitality. Unbelievable quality and service, The gift shop is also so quaint and country, there is also an Inn where you can stay the night but we had booked the Best Western as it was within our budget. Next time we go we will definitely stay at the Apple Farm and Eat there for all meals, Then we saw that this place was on the cover of the magazine of the Conneisurs guide to the Best places to stay in the world. I would go back in a Heartbeat but we live on the East Coast so maybe we will plan a trip back in the future and stay longer than 1 night next time. BIG sur was also worth the drive and the Waterfall at Julia Pfiffer State Park was the Best stop in Big sur and we saw Elephant seals on the Beach at one of the First Vista stops at the Big Sur. Have a GREAT Trip to all.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2003

This hotel is a great deal! My best friend and I recently embarked on a last minute road trip up the Central Coast, and our first stop was San Luis Obispo. We literally booked the hotel two days before our stay...
The lodging is located along a strip of hotels. It's been renovated recently - everything was so nice and clean. Don't expect the Four Seasons, but I can honestly say that from staying at so many timeshares and 5-star hotels, this place was comfortable and excellent for the price! Oh, and try their complimentary breakfast, the food was filling, and the folks at the Monterey Street Cafe were friendly and the service was great...

Been to BEST WESTERN Somerset Inn? Share your experiences!