“Best Western Somerset” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
Las Vegas, United States
“Best Western Somerset”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

If you are planning a trip to this part of California you won't be disappointed with the friendly folks at the Somerset Inn. Gayle and her husband are there on site to make sure all guests are accommodiated. One of the best Best Westerns.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Whittier, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great little hotel, reasonably price with nice staff. The continental breakfast is actually very good in comparison to other hotels. It's conveniently located for shopping and sightseeing. Definitely would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked Best Western in SLO and in Atascadero to try them out for quality and value on a recent trip to the Central Coast.

The Best Western in Atascadero was a modern building, had a large room, nice amenities and breakfast items, professional staff, professionally dressed and groomed.

The SLO Best Western should be called Worst Western. If I were Best Western corporate, I would not allow this property to carry the Best Western marque when their contract expires. The architecture is dated, the rooms are small and poorly furnished, the bed is too soft, the bathroom is so small with a small stall shower and the rest of the room is so small that you cannot dry yourself off without banging into walls, the [--] AC unit was buried underneath the vanity and half of the airflow hit a wall so half the cool air never came into the room. It took 9 hours to get the room temperature down to an acceptable level. The clerks at check and check out were friendly and polite, but they looked like something out of a Martin Scorcese film set in Skid Row--unprofessionally dressed, stringy hair, not clean looking personally. The woman at checkout was poorly groomed and shabbily dressed; which was better that the woman at check-in who was not groomed at all, had greasy looking hair, was 75 pounds overweight and even more shabbily dressed.

Yet the Atascadero Best Western cost only one dollar more than this seedy property. It looks like they were re-painting the property. But the soffit above the second floor exterior walkway had two colors of paint. They either ran out of paint or ran out of workers, because just above my room you could see where they had stopped painting--one part white, the other brown. No-one came back the day after I checked in to finish the job.

Lousy breakfast. No hot items for breakfast except waffles. The Atascadero Best Western had eggs, bacon, muffins. I would never return here.

For the same price as this dump in SLO, I had a nice, though small, room at the Santa Maria Inn, and for $20.00 less I had a room at Candlewood Suites in Santa Maria that had a kitchen, better TV, fitness room, over a hundred DVDs to use free.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
hotelgm99, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Somerset Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
We are very disappointed that we let you leave with such a poor impression about our hotel and service. Please do accept our apologies for not having lived up to your expectations. We assure you that our staff is qualified and proficient and we constantly endeavor to deliver quality service for our discerning guests. It was unfortunate on this instance we fell short. However, we have taken up your valuable feedback with our hotel management and staff. We hope you would give us another opportunity to welcome you back
Bellflower, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We went on a short family trip just to get away before school starts. The staff was outstanding, they were attentive and knowledgeable about the area and gave us great advise on where to spend our time and the weather picture. They went out of their way to accommodate us on our stay. The hotel was attractive and well kept, clean. The rooms were spacious and the housekeeping staff was great because they did not pressure us to leave our room early in the day so that they could clean. Breakfast was more than plentiful. We will be returning!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

maywood, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I would never stay at this Best Western ever again. The room was dirty. The service was horrible and was charged an outrageous price for the room. Best Western should check on this place they are giving them a very bad name. Couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: Have no advice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I'll start off stating that I debated between a rating of 3 and 4 - I'd give 3.5 if I could. This Best Western was decent, nothing special. I was in town for a wedding and I quickly learned that lodging in San Luis Obispo is not cheap. In addition to the wedding I was in town for, there was another large wedding, Cal Poly Alumni weekend, and the Central CA state fair all that same weekend, Ouch. Yeah, it wasn't cheap, but it compared favorably to other options I looked at. It's a pretty basic motel - the rooms were nice and bathroom featured a shower only (no tub). I will say the pool was very nice - it was larger than most motel pools and went to a depth of 8', which is pretty uncommon. There is also a hot tub. The free breakfast was pretty standard. All in all, it was a good stay and I had no problems while I was there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Placerville, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

"Can't wait to get on the road again..." My feelings after choosing this motel. I usually love BW Motels. This one is below par. Thank goodness I nabbed the last room by going online and saving $20 for the night.

They have lovely crown molding at the ceiling. But they needed to look down and either shampoo or replace the filthy carpet. I'm afraid to take my shoes off. The bathroom has a counter big enough for your toothbrush. But that's it. You'll need to leave the rest of your cosmetics on the counter outside the bath. The curtain was lovely. It hid the broken glass window.

I won't be coming back.

• Stayed July 2013
hotelgm99, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Somerset Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We regret that we could not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies. We have addressed the issues with our housekeeping and maintenance departments and we hope you would give us another opportunity to deliver a better experience in the future.

Been to BEST WESTERN Somerset Inn? Share your experiences!