“Great value, close to downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo

You added Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo to your Saves list
Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   345 Marsh Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (Formerly Travelodge San Luis Obispo Downtown)   |
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Simi Valley
“Great value, close to downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is our third vacation in SLO. We stayed at the wonderful San Luis Creek Lodge the last two times but this time we wanted to stay closer to downtown. Avenue Inn was indeed our best choice for this trip. The motel (that's really what this property is) appears to have been completely renovated within the last year or two (I don't know for sure when it was renovated). Everything was immaculate and like-new. Most older motel renovations are only half done but this one was done right! We only have a couple of gripes. The shower head is in the middle of the shower on a high ceiling. It was somewhat difficult to dodge the direct spray of the shower head. Also, while there is a window in the bathroom, there is no fan. So, the room stayed damp even though we kept the bathroom window open. While these are relatively minor gripes, we otherwise we would have given this five stars. We did not partake in the free continental breakfast because it was lacking protein and half the fun of travel is the variety of local dining options. We would definitely consider staying here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed for two nights while touring the local wineries and countryside; the room was recently remodeled and in very good condition. Rooms are medium sized, but not spacious; the two queens barely fit and only left a narrow walking channel to access the large closet. The location is good - about a 3 block walk to downtown San Luis Obispo's restaurants and shops. Wi-fi was fine once I found the nearest one. The exterior of the motel, while acceptable, lacks charm; this is an older property and it shows on the outside. Breakfast was pretty low-end, so we walked downtown each morning for something better.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed one night on way to meet a friend. The hotel is in a very good spot for walking to shops, eateries and bars. It is very close to the SLO Mission. The staff at desk were very friendly and willing to help with suggestions for places to eat. The room was extremely clean and comfortable. A very good selection of TV channels also.

Room Tip: An upstairs room may be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stay in properties that range from two star to five star, depending on whether I'm travelling alone or with my wife. If I'm travelling alone, I'm fine with a modest, clean room, and if I'm travelling with my wife, we (read that she) want(s) all the bells and whistles.

This hotel in San Luis Obispo was great and certainly closer to a three star hotel. From the second I checked-in and received exceeding friendly service, to the complimentary WiFi and complimentary continental breakfast, this hotel delivered handsomely. There was a coffee maker in every room and an iron and ironing board. Some folks might disregard the importance of these items, but the details matter. My room was recently remodeled and the paint, fit and finish were all updated and nice. The bathroom was recently updated as well, and had one of those large rain showerheads. The bed was comfortable and I have zero complaints. I will definitely stay again.

If there is any advice for the hotel, it would be to put a couple bottles of water in every room (low cost, high customer satisfaction), and my room (#222) needed new weather stripping on the bottom of the door, as it was tearing off a bit. Otherwise, fantastic hotel and I will definitely be back. Exceedingly well managed hotel!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The owner and manager were very kind, helpful people to make your stay very comfortable.
The location was great, the room on the second floor was clean, neat with everything you needed it. Nice windows on the bathroom and the room.
Good value for your money!

Room Tip: Second floor for my Taste.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a lovely time, for a couple of days while stranded in San Luis Obispo! I recommend it to anyone.The staff is very friendly and will try to accommodate your needs. No matter what they may be. I just absolutely loved it... If I ever go back to SLO I will most certainly visit there again

• Stayed February 2015
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My gf and I stayed here one night on our trip through coastal Calif. Convenient to downtown (walking distance to most everything) and very safe. Nice staff. Breakfast area was well kept and spacious. Great value for those looking to stay near downtown, avoid parking issues, and want a cup of coffee before venturing out in the AM.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!