“great hotel for the monehy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo

Save Saved
You added Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo to your Saves list
Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   345 Marsh Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (Formerly Travelodge San Luis Obispo Downtown)   |
Ranked #22 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
Worthington, Minnesota
“great hotel for the monehy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have read several reviews of this hotel and want to say that it is very evident that the help and the management are all very good. I stayed here and my room was clean and comfortable. This hotel is not new and is very well kept. It drives me nuts when people stay in a lower priced hotel and then write reviews like they wanted the Ritz Carlton. For the price you can not beat it and the location is awesome. I looked at 4 hotels before this and none was as good of a deal as this was. I met he manager and he went way above and beyond the call of duty to make my stay there very comfortable. I plan on staying there again next week and I feel you should always look at rooms you rent and if you are not satisfied let them know before not after. If they do not have a chance to make things right that is not fair. Great help there and worth a second look.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Torrance, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for Cal Poly Homecoming the past 5 years. It's usually clean and it's a great location. NEVER AGAIN! My husband arrived first to find out that the hotel room we had booked online was dirty, dingy and had a ripped comforter. When he asked for a different room, they told him that they could give him a King room for $10 a night (charged him $40 for 3 nights). I was upset by the fact that they did not just upgrade him for free because the first room was so horrible, but let the issue go. After one night, I noticed a few bug bites on my arms... After three nights stay, I have over 40 bites on my hands, arms and torso. My husband had less bites, but still bad. When we looked under the bed, there was a empty flea/bed bug conister sitting on a flithy floor. We told the girl at the front desk and she didn't seem alarmed at all. I don't know if they were fleas or bed bugs, but we tried really hard to make sure that we didn't bring them home with us. We'll see, but I will never stay at that Travelodge again and possibly no other Travelodge in the future!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Central Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as it was the closest motel to a wedding we were attending and wanted to be able to walk. Check in was a breeze and our room was ready at 1 when we got there so we were able to check in. The smell upon entry hits you right away. Upon inspecting the room with my disinfecting wipes we found a burn (looked like a cigarette) on top of the very small box tv. The 2 chairs in the room had very obvious stains on them, the rooms, bed, shower are very small. There's quite a bit of black stuff in the grout in the shower and the soap dish was gross caked in old soap scum. We had to use most of our towels on the floor because the shower curtain didn't contain the water. Pillows were hard (thankfully i had my own) and I woke up with a sore back from the bed. I suppose it was reasonably priced for the location but not the accommodations. Probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Southernn California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We waited too long to find a room in SLO for an event. We had stayed her a few times in the past so we were not too worried. Well, it has gone done hill a bit. Tired rooms, the outside is clean, the inside was clean but old. All the employees were very nice. Our sink was slow, the shower door allowed water to leak all over leaving the floor soaking. The room below must have a leak in their roof, or they soon will. It was unseasonly warm and there is no AC. But we slept very well, in a pinch we would go back, but not a first choice.

Room Tip: Down stairs....no air
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
dreamkhan, General Manager at Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, I really appreciate the fact that you felt that we have a clean property, The staff also "Thank you" for complimenting them, As to the furniture, We are in a process of replacing our furnishing, So please do not let that "STOP" you from visiting us again, We Strive our best to provide all our guest a comfortable stay and after reading your review it seemed that you had that, Until next time.

Cheers,
General manager
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Very nice manager, but the room was old & smelled like smoke. You could tell its been smoked in even though the manager / owner of hotel for 2 years says no one has and when he bought it he cleaned carpets and painted. Well, all it takes is one time for it to be smoked in and you can't get rid of it. He said the smell was normal and no one has smoked! WRONG! I travel enough to know, and my child is very sensitive to rms that have been smoked in. My clothes smelled like the room the following day! Gross! Only stayed one night, but was charged for two. Checked out and canceled at 6am for that night, still charged! NEVER GO AGAIN!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
dreamkhan, General Manager at Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for complimenting me, I do appreciate it, I remember you well and would have changed your room If you felt that someone has smoked in it previously, Its hard to fix things once you have left, However, I do apologize and hope you give us another chance to make things right.

Safe Travel's.

GM
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night, the double bed was very small and the base had mould on it and was dirty. The bathroom was alright except the shower which had black mould.

The room only had a fan which didn't do much to cool the area, we left the bathroom window open hoping for a cool cross breeze.

The motel is very conveniently located at the top end of town with easy access to heaps of restaurants and others shops.

The young gentleman at the reception area when we checked in was very nice, and helpful. And the young lady who checked us out and provided access to the continental breakfast was very pleasant.

If you are staying here as a couple make sure you get a queen bed or bigger but otherwise a genuine budget motel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
dreamkhan, General Manager at Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, I am sorry that you felt there was mold by your bed, I went and inspected the room, and what you thought was mold is actually black paint, Anyway, I appreciate the comments about our fantastic location and staff, You are absolutely right about the Double bed It is small for two people, However happened to be the most favorite rooms as they are the cheapest and everyone on line books them first.
Lastly, Please do visit us next time and call the property for better suited rooms and again thanks for the review.

General manager
Belvedere, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was a little leery about staying here after I read several reviews about Bedbugs in the past. I called the manager and asked him about it directly. He reassured me that the problem had been rectified.

The room was clean, the mattress pretty new, and it was quiet. Easy walk to local breweries and restaurants. Can't say that I think it was a good value for the money as it was quite expensive for a "budget" hotel, but hey, it's in San Luis Obispo...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
dreamkhan, General Manager at Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time from your schedule to give us a positive review, I remember your call and appreciated that you called the property to clarify some of the bogus negative comments about the property, Our commitment to each and every guest is to provide the best possible accommodation, service and a positive guest experience, I am glad you had a positive experience and were able to share honest opinion about it, My staff and I are deeply grateful, Please come back and see us again.

Cheers,
GM

Been to Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!