“Excellent Stay for Lodging” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #6 of 31 hotels in San Luis Obispo
Markham, Canada
“Excellent Stay for Lodging”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stopped in San Luis Obispo for lodging on our way up from Santa Barbara. We had a next day tour at Hearst Castle which was approx. 1hr from the Hotel. This place was an excellent joice to lodge. It was clean, quiet and close to the Shopping Mall and Restaurants right across the street. We had 4 adults sharing 1 room for a 1 night stay. There was a complimentary breakfeast and pricing was very reasonable. I would definetly lodge here again and recommend this Hotel for anyone passing through.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Originally booked this hotel because it's dog-friendly. We ended up not bringing our pooch but it would have been good had she been with us. Fenced dog run available. We got a ground floor room as requested. Every room has a porch with chairs (we faced poolside). Room was good sized. Fairly quiet. (could hear a little bit of inner hall noise if people were out there) Fridge provided, but no microwave. (only a slight drawback) Didn't use the pool but the grounds were immaculate. Slept in too late to get the breakfast, which I never do, so I guess that's a good sign of a comfortable bed. Easy access to grocery and fast food across the street. Shower was quite good. (tall enough and good pressure) Overall, not exciting in any way but a good stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I and our two dogs stopped here on a road trip headed North from San Diego. We arrived late at night and appreciated that the hotel has a fenced dog run where we could let our dogs play for a few minutes. The breakfast was adequate, room was clean and spacious, and the staff was very friendly.

The only thing that would be nice is a grassy area for the dogs, since the ground was just dirt. We would definitely stay here again if in the area and in need of a dog-friendly property.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Mateo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My son serves at an annual Civil Air Patrol training camp that is often held at Camp San Luis Obispo. We stayed here with our large dog two years ago, just after they renovated the floor we stayed on. It was beautiful, friendly and allowed my pet. They had a nice dog walk for him.

We returned this year, and found the staff to be friendly and accommodating, but the hotel aging, with many minor annoyances. The young people at the front desk were responsive, but often lacked common sense. When I checked in, I was told I would have to call down to the lobby at 7 am on Sunday to get a late check out. The maid picks up a note on all rooms with late check out when she comes to work. Really????? I want a late check out so I can sleep in. Now I have to wake up so I can alert your maid because she doesn’t read he computer notes. You’re kidding, right? I asked again on Saturday and they assured me they would give us late checkout. Unfortunately, the maid did not get the word and woke us up early! ARRRRGH!

There was no channel guide in the room, and jumping to channel that wasn’t connected made a loud static noise. I asked at the front desk for a guide and was told I should use my computer to go to TV guide dot com. Really? You’re kidding, right. A more astute clerk gave me a copy of a hand written channel guide saying the local cable was a monopoly and keeps changing the line up without sending new cards.

The phone in my room was not connected and I had to call from the outside to get the password to the internet, which was painfully slow. The cable tv, was terrible, with channels missing and HBO unwatchable. I notified the front desk on Saturday, but neither problem was fixed. When I mentioned it again, they offered a discount. Okay, thanks for doing your best to make things right.

Overall, the rooms were clean and comfortable. The beds were great and the back of the hotel is the place to stay if you want quiet. The breakfast is carbo loaded, but if you stay at the Embassy Suites down the road for a hot meal included, you will pay twice the price, have loud freeway noise and have to leave your dog at home.

When I decided to get my son his own room the one night he stayed here, they gave him the king sized room on the same floor at the price I was paying for a double. Thank you again! This means a lot to me, and despite the minor inconveniences, I will return.

Room Tip: Pick one in the back of the hotel and arrive before posted check-in. I had requested one of these ro...
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed here one night with my two little kids. We arrived at 11pm after making a reservation on the phone en route, and check-in couldn't have been easier. The room was soo comfortable and sheets were soo soft, exceptionally clean and neat, we loved the balcony with totally kid-proof fence, the breakfast was substantial, customer service excellent, pool lovely. We will definitely be staying here again on our regular trips through the area!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Booked two rooms during the SLO grad weekend and wasn't expecting too much. We were pleasantly surprised by the property and service. Our rooms were clean and well appointed and were adjacent to the nice pool area. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay here again if I return to the area...

Burnaby, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed one night in the back of the hotel where it was quiet in the evening and night and a bit of a hike from the lobby (which was fine by me- I need the exercise.) I was woken up in the morning by other guests in a unit nearby, along with the ice maker sounds as they prepared to leave, but I was happy to get up and get on the road.
Room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was basic and average - as expected for the lower price of this BW Plus hotel. No hot items except for those like biscuit/egg that the guest heats up in the microwave themselves. Staff were quite helpful and very polite.
Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Upper level away from any equipment/ice machines, laundry, etc.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!