“No frills, but very clean” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn & Suites

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
You added Americas Best Value Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   950 Olive Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Stay and Save 10%
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
California
“No frills, but very clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

This hotel had no frills other then a coffee pot, microwave and small fridge, however, it was quiet and very clean, not to mention very inexpensive! I was gone all day so coming back to a clean, quiet room was just what I needed. I would definitely stay again.

• Liked — It was clean and inexpensive
  • Disliked — no breakfast
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Jose
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

Upon arrival the hotel looked fairly clean but aged! We weren't in the room very much as we were out and about and only slept there. Upon return to the room we found ants swarming the bathroom, toilet, front door, vanity and table. We shared the news with friends in the next room and they found the same the next morning. It was a horrible experience to wake up with ants on your pillow! We reported this to the onsite manager who immediately moved us to different rooms. The new rooms were ant free, although the shower curtains were black at the bottom and full of mold, the shower and sink were moldy and the water pressure was sparse. In room #103 there was constant activity throughout the night which left us sleepless the entire night. We were awake through men (about 8 different men) knocking at the door just about every 45 minutes, banging could be heard from the room with the shower running in between. The next morning, the 2 young ladies from that room were outside smoking. There was obvious prostitution going on in that room the entire weekend! Certainly not a place to get any sleep!

• Liked — Absolutely Nothing!
  • Disliked — This was just a miserable place!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Davis, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

On a July 2008 family reunion trip, we reserved 2 nights at Econo Lodge, Olive St., San Luis Obispo, CA. On check-in at 1 p.m. the woman clerk on duty came from the back room (obviously leaving some animated conversation) and addressed me in a bothered fashion. She was very unwelcoming; only a few words spoken to me by her.

We paid by credit card for 2 nights (their policy); took our bags out of the car and put them in the room--very sparsely appointed and barren. Because we had plans arranged for the day we left and returned about 9:45. Upon trying to settle into the room upon our late return, we discovered no smoke alarm--only wires hanging from the ceiling; mold in the corners of the bathtub; water? stains on the furniture; a hole punched in the wall behind the door; and the faucet was loose and appeared to be coming out of the vanity.

We are not that picky about hotel rooms (we travel a lot) but we could not stay there because of the condition of the room, so headed out to find another hotel. Then we came back and talked with a male clerk on duty who absolutely would not refund the current day's lodging fee, but reluctantly did refund the next day.

The hotel looked very run down--different from the website photo, and the room was shabby. We ended up paying $20 less at the next hotel for a much cleaner room. Don't go!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room lacked cleanliness and smoke alarm
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

Good value for the budget-minded traveller.
I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews, but we only needed it for sleeping and showering so we weren't too concerned about the amenities.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. The person manning the checkin desk was pleasant and friendly. The room was clean and spacious. The only downfall was the bathroom. The toilet bowl was stained, and it looked like the walls were starting to collect mildew. But, the tub was clean and it had a fairly new shower curtain.

Free coffee, tea, juice, toast, muffins, and cereal was available in the mornings....just enough to give us a quick bite before heading out for the day.

• Liked — location/price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

Of course like I always do, I always research hotels before staying at them. And of course I wanted to stay low in budget. After reading and reviewing the Econo Lodge, I decided to take my risks and try the hotel out. My last hotel was around $70 at Comfort Inn which was near Cal Poly, but I wanted to save that extra $10 for something else.

I arrived at the hotel at around 7:30PM, the front desk was empty. I ringed the bell several times and I also knocked on the wall where I heard noise from them but they didn't hear me. I went outside to look in the other room and saw a family portrait. I noticed that this was a family run hotel most likely.

I found a telephone booth outside the hotel and I picked it up. The ringing came into the hotel. Most likely they will know someone is here after hearing all this ringing. It took about 50 rings before they finally picked up and I told them I was at the front desk. She said she'd come down shortly.

She arrived about two minutes later and checked me in nicely. She didn't ask for my photo identification or license plate which appeared on the form to check in because she said she trusted me. I was happy to see she was nice to let me skip a few sign in boxes. After all that she told me I had a one queen bedroom but she wanted to give me a two queen bedroom. I wasn't sure if this was a downgrade or not but they were the same price so I went ahead with it.

I arrived in the room and saw that everything was arranged nicely. Like other reviews said, there were surprisingly:

Nice Bed Sheets
Microwave Very Clean
Refrigerator also Clean with a Freezer Compartment
The Bath was clean and also the water was SUPER HOT!

I don't know what the other reviewers were thinking or if they got an unlucky room but my room was indeed a basic quality hotel with no sticky or messy or slimy things around.

The bed was very nicely arranged but like my last review, the blankets were a bit thin for my needs. The heater wasn't as strong as Comfort Inns but it kept the room warm so we can walk freely without shivering. The free continental breakfast is NOT appealing at all so don't think you'll be fed enough. There is a nearby Taco Bell so I suggest going there for food is better.

My night stay there was not as bad, and I would come back there for my next stay because its cheaper and quality is not so bad. The outside may look shabby and old but the inside is just like any other hotel which may be $10 or $20 more.

I checked out and it only took less than five seconds. Just gave them the room card and go. Parking was very close and it wasn't very crowded when I came in at 7:30PM. I say, I'll come back here in the future.

• Liked — fast check in and check out, very clean room, not bad
  • Disliked — slow check in, heater not as hot, thin blankets
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
west
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

My single room was small, but had everything including hair dryer, iron & ironing board, coffeemaker, shampoo & soap. TV got lots of channels including HBO.

The location is right by the freeway so some rooms are probably noisy. It is quite a walk to downtown, maybe 6 or 7 blocks. Continental breakfast was just juice and rice krispies.

I had to clean the coffee pot more thoroughly before using it, but otherwise this was a clean room, not spotless but clean. The air conditioner whirred but was not annoying or loud.

This Econo Lodge is located on a little block of motels just off route 1, nothing really within walking distance other than Taco Bell & Burger King. No view of anything and I don't think there was a pool.

• Liked — Price was negotiated downward over the phone
  • Disliked — Location was drab, worthless breakfast
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
San Jose, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

I'm aware that this is a budget motel. I wasn't expecting 5-star service, but certainly didn't want to experience a rude and uncaring clerk at the counter. I wanted to check in around 9 am on Sunday. I saw a room getting ready. I asked the gentleman at the counter whether he would help me out with checking me and my wife early. We planned to leave around 6 pm that same day. I obviously pushed him over the edge. He mentioned about extra charge and noted that checking out ealry doesn't make any difference. I talked to him with courtesy and respect. He treated me like a homeless person asking to use a bathroom. I went across the street to to Old Coachman Inn where I felt respected and welcomed.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!