“Terrible experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Los Angeles, California
“Terrible experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I am a former frequent business traveler, and have stayed in many hotels all across the United States and the world. I can confidently say that this visit ranks as one of the worst hotel experiences I’ve ever had, and that unless the hotel is gutted and replaced with a brand new infrastructure and insulation, there is no chance that I would ever consider going back here even with an offer of a free stay. I'm only giving this two stars because the staff were for the most part great and a lot of what happened was clearly beyond their control. I’ll list the pros and cons below, but let me sum them up by saying that I’ve never stayed in a hotel where practically every moment spent in the actual hotel room was unpleasant and nerve-wracking, not to mention almost sleepless.

Pros:
- Staff for the most part was very friendly. I say for the most part because the woman who checked us in was fine but low energy and not what I would call “pleasant” or “friendly.” For example, she almost never looked us in the eye. Still, everyone else was fine, and quite helpful with minor issues, like our TV not working at first or us needing an extra blanket at one point. Also, see the bottom of the review for one other great staff experience we had upon checking out of the hotel. However, there are also negatives attached to the staff detailed below.
- Parking is easy and there are large spaces.
- Nice location in terms of access to the 101 and an easy if not exactly close walk to downtown SLO (about 15-20 minutes depending on how fast you are; certainly no need for the free shuttle).
- The wi-fi was great, though as is typical for hotel wi-fi, streaming was hit or miss and the network would dip in and out. Still, probably the best part of the stay.

Cons:
- The walls are the thinnest I’ve ever experienced in a hotel, including extremely cheap budget hotels. We could hear practically everything going on outside and in the rooms next to us. And when I say could hear everything, I mean could hear noises while watching TV, with a loud white noise machine on to try to drown out the sound, and even while taking a shower with all doors closed. Let’s just say sleep was not easy to come by, and I was totally exhausted by the time we were ready to check out.
- I don’t know what the deal is with the infrastructure of the hotel, but every time housekeeping would go by with a cart (which was frequently in the early afternoon when we were trying to rest after a long morning), the entire front area would shake and rattle as if there was an earthquake happening; the noise was incredibly loud too. This would happen to a slightly lesser extent with suitcases going by. I’ve never experienced anything like this, and it’s simply inexcusable.
- It’s clear that there was an attempt to cram as many rooms into a small space as possible, and while this is I’m sure partially why the noise from other rooms was so bad, it also leads to the main area where the hotel rooms are being directly over the pool, which is open until 10. With the poor insulation and close proximity to the pool, this leads to loud noises from outside until quite late (the pool of course didn’t end up closing and getting everyone out until around 10:20 or 10:25).
- Following from the previous negative, the rooms themselves are tiny, certainly the smallest at this price point ($170/night with tax) that I’ve ever been in, and very difficult to handle with two people. The “desk” is crammed right against the wall where the hallway is and is tiny, and the bathroom is roughly 2 feet by 3 feet and opened via sliding door and is right next to the bed, making it impossible to be quiet when opening the bathroom door if someone is trying to sleep. The bed also takes up practically the entire bedroom area. I have no way of knowing this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the hotel used to be more of a budget hotel when it first opened, as the room (a “King Suite”) reminds me of the rooms in some of the budget hotels I would stay at in smaller towns, albeit at typically close to half the price.
- There are two negatives regarding the staff. One is that we were never told about the building behind the main building with additional rooms; I actually only found out about it from reviews here! As we were basically offered our run of the place when we checked in (we were told we could choose from any floor), it would have been nice to at least have been made aware of that option, even if it meant upgrading or for a future visit if there weren’t rooms available. Two is that when we called the front desk last night to complain about excessive noise and voiced our issues with the stay in general, the immediate response was that there was nothing that could be done. While I understand there’s a good chance this is true, I’ve had issues at several hotels I’ve stayed at in the past where at least the first response was to see if there was some way to help.
- The hotel is marketed on its website as good for business travelers, which is absolutely not true beyond the better than average wi-fi. The rooms are cramped and excessively noisy, the desk is tiny, and at least in the two nights we stayed here, the main clientele were families, which is exactly NOT what you want as a business traveler due to them being generally louder and taking up areas you may want to work in. The hotel itself is also unimpressive beyond the somewhat ornate lobby, which is not conducive to meeting and impressing clients or fellow business associates.
- The breakfast was mediocre at best if not slightly below par. In the brief time I was there the morning that we checked out, I noticed at least four people throwing out close to full plates of food.

There are other minor pros and cons (shower was good, bed was OK but woke up with an achy back both nights), but these are the ones that stood out the most. It’s at least good that I can end this on a somewhat positive note. When we went to check out and voiced our concerns, we were comped one night, which seems reasonable, and the person at the front desk could not have been more helpful and straightforward with the request. She did however mention that she had been doing nothing that morning but dealing with disgruntled customers, and somehow I’m not surprised. If it wasn’t clear, I would never recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely try to go to the set of rooms away from the pool
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and posting it on tripadvisor. I apologize for the disruptive and unpleasant noise you experienced during your visit to our hotel. I feel the same way you do when I experience unwelcomed noise. I know it can make a good stay in all other regards an unpleasant experience. It always hurts me deeply and personally when I find out one of our guests did not enjoy their visit. We have many great Associates that do everything they can for our guests. Therefore, when we find out one of our guests does not have a good experience we are all concerned. It is good to know that the front desk Associates listened to your concerns and made an appropriate gesture. It is unfortunate that you came at a time when we had an unusually noisy group. As you can tell by the other reviews, this is not something that typically happens here.

If there is anything else I can do, I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly. My direct line is 805-597-6060.

Owner/Managing Partner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Santa Rosa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Pretty place, spacious suites, workout room which was handy in the recent rain. And walking distance to town, eggs to order for breakfast with fresh spinach and mushrooms. Although I was visiting solo this time, a good place for families/small groups with suites including foldout sofa bed. If they had an EV plug, it would be perfect!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and posting it on tripadvisor. It was interesting to read the perspective of your solo visit to our hotel. We strive to make everyone that stays with us feel connected with the Associates, our hotel and San Luis Obispo. Many of our amenities are designed to facilitate this connection. There are many opportunities for guests and Associates to interact with our free breakfast, free beer and wine tasting reception and evening patio barbecue. When we see guests making new friends with other guests and our Associates it always gives us a good feeling.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are able to visit San Luis Obispo.

Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Just wanted to share what a great place this is to stay in San Luis Obispo. You get a large suite with every possible amenity. Eggs cooked to order, free draft beer and wine at night, $3 burgers and $2 dogs for dinner. Not to mention a fully equipment workout room, redwood trees and tables throughout the grounds, free DVDs - why leave? I am so glad that we stayed here. Everyone was friendly - the staff and the other guests.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel on Tripadvisor. It makes us feel good to know that you were “glad that you stayed at our hotel”. Judging by what you posted on Tripadvisor it looks like you had the opportunity to interact with the other guests while staying with us. We feel this is an important feature of our hotel. Creating an environment that allows guests to interact and connect with each other is something that is important to us. We hear from many of our guest that they have made new friends during their visit to our hotel.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights. Staff friendly and helpful. Walking distance to town, clean large rooms, amazing free breakfast, free beer at happy hour - micro brews, tasty low price barbecue in the evening. clean pool and hot tub, free shuttle to and from the train station. Couldn't ask for better. We'll be back!

Room Tip: 3rd floor overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and posting on tripadvisor. It was great to read that you found our Associates to be both friendly and helpful. San Luis Obispo is a nice town and the opportunity to walk downtown from the hotel is mentioned by many of our guests as one of their favorite things to do while they are here. Many of our guests have found that if they take the train we will pick them up and they are able to visit “car free” while they are here.

We are looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit to San Luis Obispo and our hotel.

San Francisco Bay Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Good location in San Luis Obispo. We stayed there for three main reasons. It's got a heated pool, made-to-order breakfast and a shuttle stop nearby take you to the Thursday Night Farmer's Market, which is the main reason we chose to stay close to downtown. We were on their top floor. The rooms feel a bit dated and could probably use some sprucing up with its pine green color palette. Overall, it was relatively clean and having a suite is very helpful with young children. It's nice that we could close off the bedroom area so the kids could sleep while we stayed up to watch TV in the other room. They also do BBQ's in the evening. That's a nice touch. Friendly service. It's a solid place if you're staying in SLO.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel and posting it on tripadvisor. We have found that many of our guests stay here for the same reasons that you have listed in your review. I know from my own experiences that traveling with young children can be a challenge. Therefore, it was especially nice to hear that our suite arrangement worked out well for you while traveling with your young children. We know that opportunities for families to travel together are special times. We want our hotel and suites to provide the type of connection that makes family memories.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in San Luis Obispo.

Santa Monica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

As of today, 01/09/14, I have been erroneously charged $348.09 and the hotel advised they only charged $232.06 in error and the "bank" did the additional amount? When I tried to resolve this yesterday, the hotel associate admitted the signature they have on the paperwork is not my name but I must have "authorized" the use. I DID NOT. Oh and by the way, the gentleman was so generous to note they deal with resolving bank matters all the time. So I guess they make errors on an ongoing basis that they have to address. Tonight the hotel associate advised they submitted a credit to the bank for $232.06 and they never charged the additional $116.03. Well it shows on my online banking and was confirmed by my bank as well within the last hour. The bank advised that since I informed the hotel of their error yesterday and they submitted another wrongful charge after that time, I should file a police report with the local agency. Well, no luck there either. I called the San Luis Obispo Police Department and explained to the female party what my bank advised about the business charging my account again after being informed of their error. She spoke to a superior or supervisor on two occasions and kept referring me back to my bank, refusing to take a report. I finally just gave up and ended the useless conversation.
**IF YOU ARE AN OUT OF STATE VISITOR OR FROM A FOREIGN COUNTRY YOU RUN THE RISK OF MISHANDLING OF YOUR CHARGE CARD INFORMATION AND TRYING TO RESOLVE MATTERS FROM AFAR. There are other budget options to consider in this area. The property is nominal, the lack of empathy when handling problems is obvious, and as a visitor you deserve to enjoy San Luis Obispo without such matters. I've wasted 2 hours so far between useless conversations and the wait time to speak with my bank.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
I apologize for anything that would resemble mishandling of charges and the time investment to get this situation resolved. It is never our intention to incorrectly charge any of our guests. Our reputation and integrity is important to all of us. I have reached out to this guest directly to better understand the situation and do everything possible to get this resolved to their satisfaction. Again, I apologize for our involvement in this unfortunate situation. If contacted, I would appreciate the opportunity to do everything we can to get this resolved quickly and to the guest’s satisfaction.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My family and I had planned to visit Hearst Castle and booked two rooms at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo. The main reason I chose Quality Suites was that: it is reasonably close to Hearst Castle (it is a 40min drive via Hw1), it is very close to downtown SLO (15min walking distance) which has plenty of dining/shopping options, each suite has a separate living room which is perfect to spend some quality time with family.

The staff was very friendly, and the lady at the reception gave us two rooms next to each other although I had not made a request in advance.The hotel also provides complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast, complimentary wine/beer/soda happy hour (every night from 5:30pm to 7:30pm), free shuttle service (till 10pm), free parking, free DVD rental, and free WiFi. The furniture and electronics were quite old, but this was not a big issue for us.

Overall, we had a great time at Quality Suites SLO and I will definitely stay here again next time am in SLO.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and posting it on tripadvisor. It was good to read that you were able to visit Hearst Castle while visiting San Luis Obispo. Hearst Castle is one of the top attractions in the area and is mentioned by many of our guests as one of their favorite places to visit when they are in San Luis Obispo.

We have flat-panel LCD TVs in both the living room and bedroom. We understand DVD is not the most current device in the field of electronics. Like you experienced during your visit, many of our guests appreciate our complementary DVD rentals. Therefore, even though the technology is somewhat dated our guests tell us it works very well for them when they come to visit.

Owner/Managing Partner

Been to Quality Suites San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!