“Excellent stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
California
“Excellent stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Just spent a week here for work; this is always my go-to hotel whenever I need to be in area. Almost everything perfect, as expected. Spacious clean rooms, comfy bed, great hot breakfast, great staff service. Only complaint was I reserved my room well in advance and asked for "upper floor" which I've always received as I like to leave my window open to enjoy the cool air blowing in from the Coast. I had 2 coworkers who made reservations at same time; they all got upper floor rooms. Staff at front desk said sorry, no upper rooms available and made no attempt at all to check if any were available. The girl was rude and unaccommodating, which I was surprised, as most all the staff here are warm and friendly. I got a room on ground floor in the back, so at least I didn't have to deal w/ noise from pool area. However, my window wouldn't open and I was barraged nightly by guests next door and esp upstairs, tromping around like herds of elephants! I was NOT happy w/ this, as I had to wake up early daily to go to work. I realize I can't have everything, but it would have been nice to have had upper floor room. Breakfast was good and Bao was especially nice and efficient in my breakfast orders. I also ate at the BBQ twice; steak sandwich was only ok this time, as it was overdone and bread was dry and not toasted. Ditto for tacos; meat abit dry and tortilla 'raw' and not even lightly toasted. I admit, was very disappointed in my dinner and ended up only eating the steak and part of taco and threw away all the rest,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor and letting us know you had an excellent stay. I appreciate you telling us that almost everything was perfect. Based on what you have written I feel that associates and I can do better for our customers. I will find out what needs to be done for our team to do a better job of following through on requests that are made by our customers. I understand and agree that a dry steak and dry tacos need adjustments to their cooking times. The barbecue is consistently mentioned as one of the favorite amenities we offer at our hotel. I will get with our Associates to make sure we are providing the best product possible. I appreciate you letting us know about your experience at the barbecue. I will address this with our Associates to make sure we do a better job in the future. If you would like to contact me directly my phone number is 805.597.6060 or you can e-mail me at gnewland@qualitysuitesSLO.com.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Owner/Managing Partner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The rooms are extremely spacious, with a sitting room, kitchenette and bedroom area with an en suite bathroom. Rooms were very clean. A complimentary newspaper was delivered in the morning.

The gardens around the rooms were very well kept and the pool area was clean and an enjoyable day was spent around the pool area.

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of on tripadvisor and letting us know that you thought we were a “fabulous hotel”. We are fortunate to have a great group of Associates that take a sincere interest in our customers. I will pass along your comments that they were extremely helpful and friendly. As you mentioned, the pool area is a favorite for many of our guests. It is great know that our hotel is able to provide this type of environment for our guests where they can connect with their friends and family in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in SLO.

So. California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Beautiful property, great suite- kids could nap in bedroom while we hung out in living room (just wish beds were queens), fabulous included breakfast, superb happy hour- free micro brews, cheap and delicious BBQ dinner, free shuttle to downtown and back whenever you want. What more could a family of four ( 2 and 4 yo) ask for?

Room Tip: We liked ground floor back by creek. Less foot traffic.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and posting it on tripadvisor. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel with your family. It is very important to us that we provide an enjoyable and relaxing environment for families. The information that you provided on tripadvisor helps us understand what is important to families traveling with young children. From our experience, if we can provide an opportunity for families to connect, relax and enjoy their time together we feel like we have provided them something memorable.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are able to visit San Luis Obispo.

Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Location: just a 5 min walk from downtown. Park your car at the hotel & forget it.

Comfortable: room (suites); has 2 tv's, so you can both watch a diff show or just have a quieter area than the other room. Spacious.

Amenities: complementary wifi, made to order hot breakfast, wine & beer @mgr reception (daily), coffee & tea (lobby, room)

Overall impression: great hotel experience, great value for your money.

Things to see & do: farmers market (Thursdays 6-9pm); mission; antique shops; lots of restaurants & shops within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Overall impression: great hotel experience, great value for your money.
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel and posting it on tripadvisor. We like your comments about parking your car and just for getting it. We do our best to make it easy for our guest to be car free while staying in San Luis Obispo. We feel this is a unique opportunity to enjoy the hotel and the area.

Thank you for letting us know that you had a great hotel experience and that you received a great value for your money.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed one night and was positively surprised by how much was included in the very modest room price. A nice two-room suite, free wine and beer for a few hours every night, wifi, cooked breakfast, DVD's on loan. The swimming pool area was OK too, and we enjoyed the barbecue poolside, which is a good option if you're only looking for a light dinner.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on tripadvisor. It was great to read that you found our hotel to be an “excellent value”. It was nice to see that we pleasantly surprised you with the many amenities we offer. From what our guests tell us, the many amenities we offer is what makes experiencing our hotel so enjoyable.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you have the opportunity to visit SLO.

Oxnard, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Easy to see why this is a TA favorite; a well-managed beautiful property with nice large rooms in a park-like setting with tall trees cresting above the 3rd floor level. Make SLO your stop on the drive between LA and SF, you won't be disappointed. Nice happy-hour hospitality and great breakfast with cooked to order eggs and all the other usual items.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quiet; the property backs up the the creek and a garden supply store.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel and posting it on tripadvisor. It was nice to see that you recognized that we are a favorite for many reasons. We appreciated reading that you had the opportunity to enjoy our park-like setting. The hotel is set up so there are many areas to relax and enjoy spending time with family and friends.

We look forward to seeing you again when you are able to visit SLO.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The main purpose of the hotel room is to provide good night sleep. We stayed on the third floor of building five. It has been several years since we stayed at this hotel but we have stayed in building five as well as building six before and did not experience the issues that we had this stay. Maybe hotel has been re-piped since our last stay, but we could hear shower, toilet and sinks in use. From the intensity of the sound we could tell if it was coming from the third, second or first floor. The sound of shower running in the rooms next to us was beyond description - it jerked you out of bed. I think travelers are entitled to use bathroom any time they need to and it is up to the hotel management to make sure it does not bother other guests. Also, we were there during a fairly hot weather for the area and used AC. It literally sounded as if the train was coming - no exaggeration. I was puzzled enough to ask another guest few rooms down and he had identical issues with water and AC noises. In addition you could hear people opening and closing drawers if they pushed them just a little hard. One night room below us was having a late party and we could hear their raised voices - I just could not recall such poor sound insulation from years ago. Maybe during re-pipe some insulation was removed and never put back? Just guessing as the experience was odd. My wife and I are both over 50 and our hearing is not exactly what it used to be, so it makes me think that the noise levels were probably worse than we even perceived them to be. If you go to bed late and get up early - you might have avoided our experiences...

BTW, mattress and pillows were comfortable and room clean. We did not take advantage of the free breakfast as there are so many fun restaurants in town. As the last note - the toilets are straight from the 60's - tiny size. Come on - I am 6 feet tall and regular weight - and the toilet felt like a toy - definite upgrade item for future renovations.

Room Tip: Try building 6 - the layout of the suites is different from building to building and we liked buildi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and posting it on tripadvisor. I apologize for the noise you experienced during your stay. I am over 50 as well and I know from my own travel experiences that unpleasant noise can detract from the enjoyment of staying at a hotel. Based the other reviews and customer feedback we receive, the noise you experienced is unusual. We will have to have our engineering department research it further to find out if there are repairs that we need to make to our plumbing system. We have not had any significant plumbing or sound insulation changes since we opened in 1986.

It was good to hear that you found our bedding comfortable and that the room was clean. We agree, there are a lot of good restaurants in town. Most of our guests still prefer to stay and enjoy our breakfast. Many of them tell us it is the best breakfast they have had while traveling.

If you would like to contact me personally I can be reached at the hotel or by e-mail.

We hope that you will try us again. I guarantee that you will have a more pleasurable experience or we will provide you a refund.