“Just What we needed.” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hawaii
“Just What we needed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We arrived at 7:30am after flying all night with a toddler. We were extremely tired and decided to see if there was a chance we could check in early. We had reserved two rooms. We were in luck one of them was ready. I was hoping to get our second room nearby. They managed to hold the one right next door for us.The woman at the front desk, Lisa was so helpful and friendly. I can't tell you how happy we were to get in that room and sleep! Our room was just right, not too fancy, not too plain. It was clean and comfortable. We got a lower rate because we were part of a wedding party that had blocked off rooms. I would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Martinibird,
What lovely comments to hear! I will be sure to let Lisa know how much you enjoyed her service. We do our best to accommodate our guests including reserving rooms next to or nearby one another upon request. I hope you enjoyed yourself at the wedding and I’m glad your stay with us was comfortable, relaxing and just what you needed. We hope to see you again when you are in the area.

Warmest Regards,

258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Monterey, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed at the Marriot with my family on one of there visits to California. The man at the front desk was very nice but the rest of the staff seemed bored and didn't smile much. The pool is large and is nice to lay by. The room was spacious it was a suite with a sofa bed. I let my parents take the bed and slept on the sofa bed. Worst idea ever. It was beyond uncomfortable. I slept on the floor because that felt better. I think there could be some improvement with staff attitude and the food was bland.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear OhLaLaZahzah,
I am so sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with us. Staff service is essential for setting the mood with our guests and it saddens me to know that we did not deliver during your stay. Please know that your feedback is always appreciated as it lets us know where we can improve. Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Warm Regards,
Thousand Oaks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I love the Marriotts and I stay at them usually if there is one in the town or city I am visiting. However, this Marriott in San Luis Obispo was a disappointment. In my opinion it did not live up to the expectations I have when I choose to stay at a Marriott. I'll continue to stay at them, but not again at this one. It was not worth the high price charged. The decor in the room was atrocious. Dark blue carpet with little white dots, a pinkish sofa or sofa bed, cheap furniture, cheap little bathroom shampoo, conditioner and body lotion certainly not up to what I expect in a first rate, above scale facility. On the plus side is a great breakfast buffet at a reasonable price, very nice and accommodating front desk attendants, free Internet and nice location. Mainly I hated the room. I always like Marriott's towels and comfortable beds, which this hotel has. Sorry
to write a bad review (although not all bad) of one hotel in a hotel chain I really love.

Room Tip: The one we had was terrible. Check yours out before accepting it. Maybe there are good ones along...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Glenn H,

Thank you so much for being a Rewards member and for making Marriott your go-to hotel. We were happy to hear that our front desk staff was accommodating and friendly – we will certainly share your comments as customer service is a top priority. We were, however, sorry to hear that our rate and décor did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of a remodel and your assigned room was clearly due for an upgrade. Additionally, you have experienced first-hand that our rates can be pretty high in peak season, so you might want to plan accordingly in the future. We greatly appreciate the feedback and hope that we will see you again soon – after the remodel!

Kindest regards,
Menifee, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was an attractive hotel with friendly, helpful staff. The bar was small but nice. We didn't eat there, but spoke with someone who said the food was good.

Our complaint was that we spent two nights there and our room was not made up. We were gone from 8 to 2 p.m. and then again later, but it was not done. Irritating to have to be tracking down clean towels and washcloths at night before you can shower.

Room Tip: Room No. 135 was close enough to the elevators hydraulics that the noise kept us awake the first ni...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Anne H:
I am so sorry you had difficulties with the cleaning staff. This is not a normal instance of a guest of ours not receiving service to their room and I apologize that you experienced problems with this. It is good to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with excellent service and care so it is always great to hear our travelers feel the same. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay. We use our guests’ feedback to see where we can improve and take all comments very seriously. I hope you are able to visit us again soon!

Warm Regards,
Temecula, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We booked three rooms Sept. 3-6 with my co-workers and we will never stay here again. I am very easy to please and I am not bothered with little things... However, the rooms have a weird smell and my co-worker's room was so bad it smelled like b.o. Really!!! Her AC was not working and I guess it's her fault for not insisting to get to another room. We were not sure if its the curtains or carpet that smelled bad.
Marriott tag for this hotel is a joke. If they charge $170 a night then we expect better than Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn. PLUS they charge an extra $12 or so for breakfast. With the high room rates, you would think breakfast is free. I guess all they want to give out are choco chip cookies and coffee at the lobby. I would strongly suggest staying at the newly opened Hampton Inn next door. This is not worth the money. Even if the company paid for it, I would rather stay somewhere else.
For $160-170 a night, you are not getting anything special or extra. I promise!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Merlot2708:
I regret to hear that you had such a negative experience with us. It is our priority to meet and exceed the expectations of all our guests and it saddens me to know we did not meet and exceed yours. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at our hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated as it lets us know where we can improve. The level of comfort of our rooms is a top priority for us so please know we are working to eliminate any related problems.

I would really like the opportunity to get a second chance at making a great impression on you and discussing this matter further. If you are open to discussing your stay further, I can be reached directly with the hotel’s main number.

Sincerest Regards,
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Used this site because my autistic adult son loves the brand name, (Marriott). Our goal was to visit Pismo Beach and ride a sand rails on the dunes.

The hotel was located just off the freeway easy on and off. It actually sat next to 2 other business type hotels, (Motel 6, ? ) and an old school truck-stop that offers the largest portions that i every seen or read about (Margies).

So, getting to Pismo and Morro Bay was a breeze, although we passed 30 hotels on our way to the dunes.

The price was 50% higher then the other Hotels, $159, $152 with a AAA card, most hotels in the area were going for $100 (researched on the net). Marriott has a strong brand and probably can get away with a higher price because people feel safe with the brand.

The front office were professional and generally helpful ( they actually seemed interested in my stay). Free cookies were offered, free brewed coffee was available 24 hours, they offered free toothbrush and toothpaste when I asked about sundries.

Lobby interior was comfortable and pleasant. The property was exceptionally clean. The parking was near our room on the first floor, next to the pool per request. The property sits next to undeveloped hills. We saw deer from our car and horses grazing in the field, (very SLO).

Rooms are average and clean.

I was disappointed because I've been to other courtyards that were truly a courtyard, (spacious rooms etc). this location was more a motel type. Point taken away for a 500 sq ft room. All of the hotel furniture were squeezed in. The refer fell off its cubby hole, (they forgot to bolt it down). No safe in the room and the screen door leading out to the pool was broken, so it was pain to open and close, (I left it open to the side). Towels were similar quality to Motel 6, (or a budget motel). Because we were on the first floor we did not have any windows to open and we had to use the air conditioner to cool the room while we slept. The air conditioner was a quality brand, but it was loud and I had a restless first night, but got used to it the following night, ( probably exhausted from site seeing).

The pool felt deserted, no inviting vibe to it, meaning no flowers, no plants, etc. The water was warmed up, but you felt uncomfortable to stay out to long. My son, loves pools and whirl pools. It passed, but barely.

Over all we enjoyed our ride and stay. Probably will not recommend to folks or my friends. Will not use this facility in the future, unless I get reward points and stay for free, even if my son wants to go. If any thing we may use a different Marriott on the way up, or a Best Western in Pismo, ( extremely nice properties on the ocean), he likes them as well.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor, to take advantage of the cool nights, ( no air conditioner noises).
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jeepeto:
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so glad you enjoyed visiting San Luis Obispo and was able to see the local deer and horses of the nearby hills. I hope your son had an equally fun experience. We greatly appreciate the time you took to review and comment on our property. This allows us to address and focus on ways in which we can improve. We take all of our guest comments very seriously and I am sorry that your stay was not what you expected. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we can improve.

Sincerest Regards,
Buellton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed numerous times at the hotel for family vacations. Usually get the suite, so we have a king bed in a separate room, and my daughter and a friend use the pull-out sofa bed in the main room. Has nice bathroom, microwave, frig, coffee maker, long counter for prepping any lunches or breakfasts if you want to eat in. The pool area is lovely, plenty of seating and some shade. It is up against a rural hillside with fields and horses grazing next the hotel. Not far from restaurants and downtown SLO. Go on a Thursday for the awesome Farmer's Market!

Room Tip: Suite on bottom floor is close to pool entrance, other suite is next to elevator (too noisy for us)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Otter1:
Your kind remarks of our property are heartwarming and greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and what great advice regarding visiting the Farmer's Market on Thursdays. It means a lot to us here at the Courtyard by Marriott in San Luis Obispo that you were satisfied with your stay. I hope your future family vacation is around the corner so you may visit us during the holidays and see our decorations. Thank you for making us a part of your family vacation and we hope to see you again soon!

Warmest Regards,

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!