“Super-relaxing!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Super-relaxing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Beautiful setting & spotless inside and out. Located on the outskirts of San Luis Obispo, this is the best hotel to happen to this city in a long time. (For years there were just a bunch of crummy little motels there.) Situated in green, peaceful surroundings. Every staff member we encountered was helpful, efficient, and pleasant. Room was nice, but nothing special; a King, but on the small side. Jacuzzi and pool were quiet and lovely. Swallows overhead and peace in every direction. Truly relaxing. We had the breakfast buffet only once, which seemed overpriced for what we got, but it was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the jacuzzi tub suites if you want some room to move around. Our regular King was pr...
Green Features: VERY much appreciated that there was a blue recyle trash can in the room. Finally!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
FOM-ARC, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Carol S,

We really appreciate your wonderful comment about your relaxing stay with us, thank you very much! We take a lot of pride in our hotel, staff and town, and it is so pleasing to hear our guests experiences. As a perfect stop on your way up North from L.A., we hope to see you again soon. Thank you for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed here for one night on a scenic drive between southern and northern CA, and this seemed like a convenient place to spend the night. It turned out to be an excellent choice. I've stayed in a few other places in SLO, and this was by far the best.

What I particularly liked about this Courtyard is the location. Although the hotel is very close to the freeway interchange, it is NOT located directly beside the freeway. As a result, one does not get the traffic noise which is so common at similar hotels. In fact, we asked for a room on the back side, which gave a view of the sun setting behind some hills directly behind the hotel. Another convenience factor is the presence of a New Frontiers market about a 2-minute drive from the hotel. This store is very similar to a Whole Foods, and has a great salad bar and hot food bar if you prefer to eat a light supper in your hotel room, as we often do.

The hotel itself is fairly new, in excellent condition, and very clean and comfortable. Our room had both a refrigerator (to keep your Chardonnay cold) and a microwave. Rates were high, but I felt that the stay was sufficiently pleasant to make them justifiable. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the rear of the hotel, overlooking the hills
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear majorswede,

Coming from a TripAdvisor Top Contributor as yourself, we really honor your 5-star rating regarding your last stay with us; thank you! We are so pleased to hear you love our location as much as we do! It's hard to beat our beautiful hillside views with horses wandering through the grass areas, and you’re right, I love New Frontiers; they have the best salad bar in town! I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again soon. Take care, and thank you for sharing your experience!
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I do a lot of business travel and use Marriott whenever I can since I have a rewards membership with them. This time though, I was seriously disappointed. My room smelled like body odor and was always humid and muggy. Overall, it was a very unpleasant condition to sleep in. There was nothing wrong with the hotel itself. The lobby, the service, and the exterior were all still classic Marriott style. I did notice a few strange quarks like, the stairs are nowhere near the elevator or the front entrance, so if you prefer to take the stairs for exercise or convenience, be prepared to make a little extra effort. All of the rooms that overlook the court yard also overlook the pool so you have to deal with slight chlorine smells and the sounds of splashing until it closes at 10:00PM. The breakfast service was extraordinarily slow considering its a serve yourself buffet. I finished my entire breakfast before a server even came by to see if I needed anything to drink (which is not part of the buffet) and I still had to flag her down to get water. On the plus side, the food was very good for a buffet breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that overlook the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FOM-ARC, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear jobskibum,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to review your stay. I really appreciate the positive and constructive comments, and I will make sure that we note these issues moving forward. Thank you again, and we hope to see you again! Kind Regards, The CY SLO Management Team.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the location twice and enjoyed both times. My comments here are a blend of both trips.

A benefit of the Courtyard brand is consistency in style and amenities. This location is no exception, an excellent example of the best and latest brand hallmarks. The trademark courtyard is well designed to screen views of the nearby highway and show only the beautiful hills. A great place to relax by the pool.

The location is a bit outside town, but only a short drive to the University, downtown or the shore. A grocery store is just over the highway. I am very familiar with the community and find it a convenient location.

The site staff is friendly and helpful, taking great pride in the property and their community. Everyone was very pleasant. I feel this has to reflect good management leadership and training, which then affects all the aspects of the property.

I have eaten here on my previous stay two years ago, the food meets expectations for a hotel breakfast, good quality, convenient, reasonable price.

The overall prices are a bit high,but are consistent with other Central Coast properties with similar amenities. I give this hotel five stars since the property meets expectations, but the staff really excels. I will return here again when business takes me to SLO.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Specmonkey,

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave such wonderful comments about your two visits to our hotel; thank you! Our staff does take great pride in working for our hotel, and I am so please that you noticed that during your visits. We hope to see you again soon, and thank you again for sharing your experiences!
Fresno, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night before moving on to the pismo beach area. The hotel is very nice and well kept. It had a restaurant, bar, pool and hot tub. I got a good deal on Priceline. The staff was courteous and the rooms were updated with granite and such. I would definitely stay there again. The only concern I had was when I checked out, the front desk woman would loudly say, 'so you booked on Priceline so your all set.' I heard her say it to a few people and thought she could use more discretion about how people reserve their rooms or if they use a coupon.

• Stayed March 2013
FOM-ARC, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear nancypw,

We are so happy that you chose to stay with us for your visit to San Luis Obispo, and thanks for leaving such a wonderful comment and score. I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel, and I have followed up with my staff in regards to your checkout experience; I apologize for any inconvenience. Thanks again for staying with us, and we look forward to your next visit!
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stopped at this Courtyard on the drive from San Francisco to LA. We had been staying at Courtyards the whole trip due to Marriott Rewards membership and Courtyard preference. This was by far the best of the brand we stayed at. Hotel feels new and clean. Room was spacious and well appointed and bathroom was large and clean. Our room looked out over the pool and to a field beyond that had horses. Kids loved sitting by the window and watching the horses play in the late afternoon.

Hotel is situated a few miles from SLO downtown and right off the highway (101). A few minutes drive and you are in downtown for dinner and strolling around the area. We only stayed for the night but all agreed that this hotel plus the town would have made for a nice several day stay.

We were originally deciding between this hotel and the Madonna Inn and while I think the Madonna wins in the uniqueness factor, this was definitely the better choice.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room overlooking the pool and the field with horses.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FOM-ARC, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear fisheke 1,

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review in regards to your last stay at our hotel; thanks!! I am so pleased to hear that you have such an enjoyable stay, and we are glad that you chose our hotel over the variety of choices here is San Luis Obispo. We hope to see you again for a longer stay as well, and happy travels! :)
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I and our 3 kids came to San Luis Obispo to visit Cal Poly where my husband graduated many years ago. We loved our stay at Marriott. We're familiar with th courtyard series but this one has been one of its' best. Our room was spacious, mini fridge and microwave in our rooms, and a heated pool outside which the kids loved. Great coffee bar in the lounge area and customer service was great. We'll definitely stay here again on our next visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FOM-ARC, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Julie R,

Thank you so much for the excellent 5-star rating, we appreciate your comments! I am so pleased to hear that you loved your stay, and that this is one of the best Courtyard hotels that you have stayed at; we take a lot of pride in our property. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, and we look forward to your next visit to our hotel!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!