“Ok for a quick stay” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bayport
“Ok for a quick stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Found this Courtyard by Marriott online while traveling from Santa Cruz to L.A. and needed a place to stop on the way . Staff was courteous and helpful. Room was large but no large bath towels. Pool looked ok but hot tub was not the cleanest. Although they say they have coffee24/7, they didn't. I woke up a little late and didnt get down in time to get coffee and couldn't even buy a cup in the hotel. Couldn't buy breakfast either and had to get in my car and drive to Starbucks to get coffee! Coffee in the room but no milk, creamer or anything. Decent price and it fit our needs but thank goodness we only stayed 1 night.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Cupertino, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Good place to crash after all day sightseeing. Nice location. Parking was a bit difficult to find, probably because of labor day weekend. Free internet was good, a bit spotty though. Would be good if the breakfast was included. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Danville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just stayed again at Courtyard SLO - nice property but a little pricey compared to Holiday Inn Express. Rooms still look new (built 2008) and have nice flat screens but limited channels. There are no suites or so we were told, so don't expect an upgrade. Would be tight with 4 people and a rollaway, but just fine for 2. Nice spacious bathroom counter with Paul Mitchell shampoos. Nice curved shower curtain, good water pressure. Small frig and microwave in room. Free coffee in room and lobby. Courtyard facing rooms are very quiet. WiFi is free but connection often drops. Small hotel restaurant offers breakfast, small bar offers alcohol service until 10pm weeknights, 12am on weekends. AM/PM down the street can meet your beer and snack needs.

Rooms are small compared with Holiday Inn Express and Embassy Suites. A bit farther from freeway than Hampton so will be much more quiet. No free breakfast here or special treatment if you are an elite in MR except for better room location.

Overall I can recommend this hotel, though a bit pricey during high season weekends, Though we found rates dropped at all properties about 1-2 weeks before arrival (always keep checking).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
lrrid262, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel. You gave such a wonderful oversight of the property and its amenities. We do offer discounted prices to our qualified hotel guests. If you qualify for the Marriott senior discount or you have a AAA card the price is lower compared to the regular rate. I am sorry that you feel that we are pricey as we are very careful to stay in line with the other hotels in the vicinity. We also take into consideration the things that are complimentary like our Wi-Fi and parking which usually adds on another $30 to $40 at other properties. I hope that knowing all of this will bring you back to us on your next visit. We would love to have you back at the Courtyard by Marriott - San Luis Obispo.

Lindsey Ridgeway - General Manager
Harrisburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Everything about this CY is great - it's clean, comfortable, staff is professional and helpful, good location, good facilities. However, the previous comments regarding smells at least in certain rooms are valid though - not sure what the issue is and it doesn't seem they are able to remedy it....the compliant and promises to address it go back some time, and, witnessing the hotel and staff, I'm sure they have tried to address it. But apparently to only some avail - my room did smell a bit like a locker room - you got used to the smell quickly once in the room and it seemed to be less when the AC was on, but when you went out and came back it was quite strong smelling at times.

If you are sensitive to this you may want to call in advance and insure that they assign you a room that does not have this odor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is a very nice hotel- extremely clean, spacious room and bathroom, free parking, very helpful staff. We were offered a variety of rooms on different floors to choose from.
The only problem is that there is no safe in the room, which is a bit annoying.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Avoid the X38 rooms. The elevator is quiet as elevators go, but still too loud for sleeping next to it..

This is my 3rd visit. They'll figure out who I am soon, so I'll have to stop leaving honest reviews.

The staff is genuinely WONDERFUL. They're friendly and helpful and always have a great attitude.

Rooms are still dark. I have eye strain. Every possible light is on. I have the TV on. Use brighter bulbs in the desk lamps. Whatever your lighting expert is telling you, you're overpaying them. It's dark and it's uncomfortable to work.

Avoid dinner at the bar. They were out of soup. Ordered the tri-tip sandwich. Waited forever. And ever. Arrived cold. Sent it back. Re-arrived just as cold. And when I asked why it was served without the promised horseradish sauce? "Oh, we're out of that." Sandwich served cold 2x? Not acceptable. Ordered the chicken sandwich. Arrived hot and edible. They took it off the bill, thanks for that. Waiting an hour for a sandwich? I won't do that again. The salad and chicken sandwich were both good.

Wine at $10/glass is over priced. Movies (it's the 14th, The Hunger Games comes out on DVD on the 18th...4 days...and the price for in room viewing is $17.99??? Nothing doing.) are highway robbery.

Bed is comfortable. Linens are excellent. The pillows are great. Parking is free and reasonably easy.

Room is very well appointed, the furniture is nice and everything is present.

Paul Mitchell shampoo/conditioner are nice and appreciated. Shower pressure is *meh*, water hot, towels really nice.

Wifi is patchy. It's up and down. When it's up, it's slow and weak. It went down in the middle of business e-mail. Kyber felt free to call me 2x.

Lastly, this pisses me off. It's the little things and this is a *big* little thing. You leave signs for me to save the planet by hanging up my towel. I do that. No problem. I recycle. No problem.

I set the room temperature to 78 degrees. You should appreciate that. It should save you energy. I'm from Phoenix. That's a good temperature for me. Why the heck do hotel staffers think it's okay to reset the temperature back to 68 degrees????

Save the planet? Not that way. I'm freezing and you're paying both to cool the room down to a temperature your guest DOES NOT WANT and heat it back up to something I can tolerate.

Breakfast was far better than dinner at the bar the previous night.

Room Tip: Over pool, looking toward the field, away from the 101 on the 3rd floor...and *new* away from the el...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
lrrid262, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you so much for posting your Trip Advisor response. I have read your comments to each department head to give them an idea of what you experienced during your stay. We are all extremely ashamed and remorseful but determined to improve. Measures have been taken with our evening restaurant staff and I have been assured by my Food & Beverage Supervisor that a repeat of your situation will never happen again.

In response to the lighting in the guestrooms, I am thinking that we will need to provide something stronger for you upon your next stay. If you can call us prior to your stay dates we can get everything set up and in place.

Lastly, I would like to clear up why we run the A/C units at 68 degrees. We have found that the rooms become a little stagnant if their is no circulation so once we clean the rooms our housekeepers have been advised to run the air conditioning prior to a guest checking in or returning to their room. We can arrange to leave your temperature exactly where you like it the next time you are here. You will just need to make the front desk staff aware of this and it will be handled.

Your comments are what we need to assist us in delivering the best customer service that a loyal guest like you deserves. Your time and effort is much appreciated.

Lindsey Ridgeway - General Manager
Courtyard by Marriott - San Luis Obispo
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This hotel is a typical Courtyard. It was very clean and the staff is also what you expect from Marriott. The room was a little stuffy smelling and I did notice an air freshened on top of the television console. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo? Share your experiences!