“Decent Room but No Hospitality.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Sanitarium B&B

The Sanitarium B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Luis Obispo
The Sanitarium B&B
You added The Sanitarium B&B to your Saves list
1716 Osos Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401   |
San Francisco, California
“Decent Room but No Hospitality.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Bottom Line: When I pay $336 for one night in a B&B, I expect hospitality. Suzi was far from a welcoming courteous hostess.

Problems started at booking. I originally booked on Air Bnb. When my reservation was neither confirmed or denied, I called the Sanitarium and spoke to a man who told me that he never had heard of Air Bnb. I told him that the listing was under "Suzi" and the price was $225 for the night. Suzi calls me back and tells me that the listing is wrong, is $290 for the night and $25 if you want to bring a pet. Annoyed but still hoping for a great vacation spot, I agree to the higher price.

The day of our stay is finally upon us. I booked the room for myself, my boyfriend, and my small dog. As we drive closer to the Sanitarium, I call to give Suzi a heads-up on our arrival time. I remind her that the reservation is for 2 people and a dog. When we arrive at the time we had projected, Suzi is no where to be found. The whole house is dark and there's a note on the table to call her cell phone. She answers and says she's nearby and to go into our room.

The room itself is quite nice. We had a large soaking tub, a steam shower, and a working wood fireplace.

We hear noise downstairs. We assume it is Suzi's arrival. We head down with our small dog. While on the stairs we are charged at by two large and aggressive dogs. I sink to my knees and I throw myself over my dog to protect her. My boyfriend pulls Suzi's dogs off from us. Suzi simply remarks that her dogs don't like it when other dogs are on a leash. Suzi takes the dogs outside while we compose ourselves. After the scare, we attempt to strike up a conversation. Suzi did recommend a good place to take our dog for dinner, however the whole interaction felt very uncomfortable.

Location itself is great. Close, walking distance to downtown.

As we returned from dinner, we found a man standing in the kitchen who to this day we were never introduced to and have no idea who he is, though we gathered is a friend and maybe an employee of Suzi's. My boyfriend asks for firewood. The man tells him that he has none, and my boyfriend insists. After-all, we hoped to use the fireplace that we paid so dearly for. The man manages to pull together random items that we can burn and a few chunks of starter logs. My boyfriend finds two pieces of wood.

We spent the evening soaking in the tub and enjoying the fireplace. The whole scene was quite romantic, except for the large dogs camping out in front of our bedroom door waiting for their next chance to get at our dog.

In the morning, we hoped for a delicious home cooked breakfast. We were once again disappointed. We were served a tasty yogurt with fruit to start, but the main of the breakfast was simply bagels.

Yes, the place is decorated with a cute artsy, shabby chic motif. Go to an art gallery to enjoy similar scenes. Then find a different B&B with a hostess who understands hospitably.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night on a recent drive down the West Coast. This B&B is a mix of modern (bathroom) with eclectic (shabby chic/medical). It's quite bizarre. To start with the good: The bathroom was tiled in gorgeous white stone tiles and had a huge steam shower. Some of the decor was quite charming (seaglass, local art, etc.). There was a big soaking tub in the room that we didn't use, and our room had a large patio area. Breakfast was tasty and had a local feel, and the innkeeper was flexible with timing (which is rare for B&Bs but nice to have). Good location, just a short walk to cute downtown SLO. Now the bad: There is no feeling of warmth in this place; it all felt very cold and sterile (but not clean sterile, more like hospital sterile, if that makes sense). Some of the eclectic/vintage decor was kind of gross: our lace curtains had huge holes in them (disguised by a large knot), and a chair on the patio was super rusted and covered in cobwebs. The shampoo and body wash dispensers in the shower were empty. And there is a really creepy basinet in the hallway holding extra TP. It just seems like the whole place needs a good cleaning and some minor upgrades. You also cannot check availability or make reservations online; it all is handled over the phone. The whole thing seems well intended, just not well executed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ojai, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

if you are looking for a unique experience than The Sanitarium is a must stay! Greeted by our warm Innkeeper, we at once felt 'at home'. the rooms and the tubs are large and comfortable, and having visited in January, the wood burning stove was a welcoming site as it warmed our cozy room. The vintage touches everywhere make this inn a very charming, homey feel, truly we didn't want to leave. see you all soon... r & e

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

The Sanitarium seems to elicit some very different emotional responses. Rather than follow my first inclination and simply declare, "I was very unhappy there!", I will try listing observations objectively beginning with...

The Bright Side: The bed was clean and comfortable, the bath was clean.
Simple, but good breakfast with something for everyone.. bacon, toasted bagels, fresh organic vegetables, a variety of nice cheeses.
Some pretty and imaginative decorative touches throughout.

Cons: I haven't heard other reactions to this, and I know it is supposed to be fun and quirky, but we did not experience the undertone of a medical institution as a pleasing atmosphere. The place actually was at one time a sanitarium, and this feeling lives on both inherently in the actual architectural structure of the building and is also encouraged through some of the current decor. There is a "nurse's station" on the 2nd floor (guest room area), the shampoo and conditioner are pre-dispensed in small plastic pill cups, in our room the main light bulb hung bare from a long cord in the ceiling, etc. Even my husband who is negatively affected by... hmm, just about nothing!.. thought it was a little creepy.

The daytime "open door" policy left us feeling unprotected... when we arrived in the afternoon, the main front door was literally open, not just unlocked. (We were greeted by a note with a phone number.) Even the office area by by the kitchen was open to anyone who came in off the street, and later made us wonder if guests' credit card info was kept well guarded. (This front door is locked at night.)

The inn is located in an urban area near the railroad and among some fraternity houses.. the openness and flow of foot trafic here lent a kind of youth hostel feeling, rather than that of a pricey inn.

Though high on a certain decor, not a cozy, comfortable place to stay. Spartan furnishings.. low on creature comforts.

Noisy. Inside.. without larger rugs, wooden floors throughout creaked even with self-conscious, tip-toed footsteps. Outside.. it is amazing how much noise can be generated at a small intersection.. many breaking trucks (from our front room).

Overpriced for the basics that the inn does deliver. The higher price may be for the theme/decor, which one may or may not like.

While bounding out the front door to leave in the morning, my husband stopped me to introduce another guest couple with whom we shared a friendly breakfast, and for the first time I felt at ease. Perhaps if we had met other guests or had even a small orientation with the owners/ innkeepers (who seemed like nice people) on our day of arrival, I would have felt more at ease through the night. Though, even the warmth of human contact would not have induced me to like this place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

Is your mind desperate for a break? Does your body whimper at the mere mention of a Moroccan soaking tub? It is possible you have been driven crazy and don't even know it.

Sometimes solutions are stumbled upon. Or fallen into. Or collapsed upon.

I arrived at The Sanitarium, having no idea what expect. I had assumed I would check-in, be briefed, and then head back out for a sultry evening on the salty streets of San Luis Obispo, CA.

Upon entering my room I was stunned by its simple beauty. It was full of art. What to touch first? The cold basin of the deep hammered tub standing unfettered in the corner? The bumpy, crazy colored, lovingly worn patchwork quilt and fluffy pillows? The cool tiles of the bathroom floor. I lingered over every item - all seemingly selected to seduce me.

I succumbed. Silently disrobing, I lay prone, gazing up and out to the swaying tree tops.

After months of constantly moving, making, minding, and musings, my mind and body came to a complete stop. A stillness not acquired in months. When I awoke it was dark and cool. Faint music and laughter floated up the stairs and slipped under my door. I lay quietly for awhile hoping I might fall off to sleep again. But curiosity moved me up and on. I freshened up–determined to still do something in San Luis Obispo other than sleep.

Tiptoeing downstairs I found the innkeeper in the front studio puttering and muttering. He was surrounded by multiple painted canvases of all sizes and styles, several 20 gallon tin buckets filled with hundreds of squeezed tubes of paint, and dozens of jelly jars with brushes standing at attention.

"Here, you can paint too" he offered. Really? Maybe, but first I should go out. I spent the rest of the evening in a used bookstore downtown, huddled in the arts section. I discovered a Sotheby's auction catalog devoted to Latin American art. I felt like it was waiting for me to discover it.

I returned to The Sanitarium eager to completely submit to its care. An hour long private steam shower loosened the last twist in my mental and physical spine, delivering a state of utter submission. I weaved dreams so vivid and clear at the time - all lost to me now.

In the morning, all plans for seeing the sights were silenced. Instead I flirted with the innkeeper amid his artwork, moved by his insights and sensitivities. I settled on the parlor sofa and fingered through several neatly stacked four foot piles of art books clearly lovingly collected over many years.

I would paint. I could paint. Please may I paint?! I am so pleased at the notion of painting.

Two hours of page turning flies by. Still stumped. What to paint? Okay. Focus. What am I feeling? Cleansed. Naked. Beautiful.

Starting with a simple lead pencil I generated an outline nude form. Assured, my fingers reached for a brush and a tube of paint and I began. Colors layering, light and shadows building, a self portrait emerged. Uninterrupted for several hours I sang through my fingers. I remember me.

Nearly finished–it was time for check-out. I felt transformed. Loosened. Lighter.

So simply made happy in 24 hours. What a gift to my solo self. Thank you. Thank me.

Stay here as soon as you can.

The Sanitarium Spa
[----]
San Luis Obispo, CA

Seven intimate rooms with private baths. Original art in every room. Sun drenched private decks. Darling breakfast pantry. Garden. Art studio. Grand piano. Walking distance to downtown. Massage room. Visit the website for full details.
But call – the owner Suzy hates email and computers.
805-544-4124

This review first appeared on TangoDiva.com

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
kmann08
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

We stayed there for 2 nights. It was nice and unque but way overpriced. It is in a good location which is a plus but you pay for it. The hosts were great, didn't eat breakfast there but everything was clean and nice.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

The breakfast was seriously substandard. I’ve made much better breakfasts, for more people, over a Coleman stove and a cast-iron Dutch oven while camping.

NO, I repeat NO housekeeping during our two night stay. We are a couple. We are in love. We are staying at a B&B. We have needs. We need fresh sheets, and fresh towels. NO SUCH LUCK!

Speaking of housekeeping, no face/hand towels, no extra TP, no Kleenex in the room.

The chairs in our room and on our deck were not suitable for sitting in for more than 15 minutes. The chairs in the”Living Room” were non-existent, the chairs in the outdoor patio were garage-sale left-
overs.

Our Shower did not drain. See the housekeeping item above.

It was quite warm when we stayed there. The rooms don’t have air-
conditioning. That’s OK, but the rooms also don’t have screens on the windows. And our room had a stagnant pond below one of the windows. Thus, we had mosquitos in our room, all night.

We’ve got maybe a dozen more complaints of a lesser nature, but here’s one as an example. We arrived back at the inn to find the gate to the parking area closed. The owner had shown up, and brought her dogs with her. In order to keep them inside the property, she had shut the gate to the parking lot. No street parking available immediately around the facility. Nice touch.

We think that this inn was dramatically over priced, even at the weekday price. We can’t imagine how ripped-off we would feel if we had paid the weekend rate.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple