“Least expensive choice in SLO” 2 of 5 stars

You added San Luis Inn & Suites to your Saves list
San Luis Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   404 Santa Rosa Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405   |
San Jose, CA
“Least expensive choice in SLO”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here because it was the cheapest room in San Luis Obispo we could find online. We were not expecting much at $65 a night. From the outside, the hotel looks pretty old and run down but we were surprised when we went inside our room. I don't know if all the rooms are like the one we had but ours was surprisingly clean. The wall were recently painted and everything expect the bathroom looked OK. I was surprised to see we had an LCD TV (a cheap one) and wireless internet! The bathroom was not as nice... its was a little grungy. Forget the breakfast... its was Cosco muffins cut into quarters and a very strange tasting orange juice. Theres a couple of better options for food nearby. It made me smile when were were handed an old fashion metal key for our room instead of the new electronic card keys. The key wasn't even on a key ring... just a single simple key. So overall, it was not the Ritz... it's definitely a place you only stay at because you are looking for the absolue cheapest option. And from that perspective, its not too bad for the money. You just have to go in knowing its a 2 start hotel and not expect more than that. To end on an up note, the woman at the front desk was very friendly and nice which is not always the case at a 2 star hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I do not have high standards and this hotel was really terrible. Rubber sheet under the fitted sheet. No bath tub plug. Continental breakfast was bad coffee, non-descript muffins cut into quarters, bad orange juice. Fist hole in the bathroom door (though not all the way through.) Lock with old-fashioned key, not card. Remote that worked, but you had to get up and press the power button on and off. Carpet really old and un-appealing. The only good thing I can stay is that other guests were not noisy. The freeway noise was loud, though. I am accustomed to staying in Motel Six which is much, much better, if you can believe it! This was my first experience with hotwire and I will never do it again. (Hotwire said there were no reviews of this hotel available, but after I found out which one it was, there were plenty of reviews on trip advisor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was rather disappointed with this hotel because I was tired from a long trip, yet to find out the hotel was somewhat inadequate.

I was unsatisfied with the the room's cleanliness. The room smelled awful. It smelled like poop because of the toilet, so, our family had to switch to another room. The room we switched to had 2 dead bugs on the floor, so we had to wear our shoes in the room. However, I do say that the lavatory was rather elegant looking and flawless. The bed feels rather comfortable but nonetheless average. The staff was polite and helpful.

I would not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, unless this hotel manages this cleanliness issue. Otherwise, this hotel would be a nice place to stay in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Actually, parking is a commodity here as it is everywhere in SLO. My lady friend and I came on business as I got a new job and had been on the road all night before. This was the cheapest place on Hotels.com. For 4 nights... Check in Tuesday, Check out Saturday we paid $344.

There are less expensive places within walking distance. The best thing I can say about this place is that they do have guest laundry machines. There's a 24 hour Jack in the Box (fast food) across the street and a Taco Bell across the catty corner.

The quality of the room, bath, beds, TV, is very good. Our A/C unit wasn't working properly and the owner actually came in with a new controller, removing the dial-in and replacing it with a digital controller that evening and it worked fine.

The two rooms next door to us were rented out to a contractor who employs a specific majority of non-union labor who were tramping out the motel. It was obvious this contractor had two crew cabs and other privately owned vehicles that used up more than their share of the already limited parking.

These guys were clearly sleeping four or more persons per room with their presence emphasized by: men gathered in the parking lot; several large boxes of cheap beer; open doorways and loud music. My lady friend and I are actually seniors and we considered such abuse of accommodations by these guys to be too unbecoming of an establishment which caters to families.

That said... I hope the family who owns this establishment, reads my review and will not allow our experience to occur again in the future. I think they are good hardworking people and their client's deserve a better experience. Other reviewers notes about parking and noise support my review.

Room Tip: Go just a few more miles to Morro Bay... Much nicer location and less expensive.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Should have saved my money and slept in a tent. The door on the mini fridge was broken. The dresser was missing a handle. The bed did not have fitted sheets just a top sheet that was placed on the mattress. The comforter had cigarette burns. The picture tube on the tv is going out. The wall in the bathroom is coming undone. And the room smelled like cat litter. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Cheap but not clean and very noisy.
Find another spot!

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here two nights over Memorial Day Weekend. The room was clean, but a little run down. There was duct tape holding a plastic cover over the box springs, but the bed itself was comfortable enough. Considering almost everything was sold out this weekend, I was glad to find this one. Parking was VERY tight and we had to park on the street the first night because there weren't any available spaces. The continental breakfast was muffins cut in quarters, coffee and orange juice. Pretty sparse.

Overall, it was not the worst hotel I've ever been in. I slept well and the place was clean. If you're looking for something fancy, go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to San Luis Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!