“Wet Weekend Still Wonderful!” 4 of 5 stars

San Luis Creek Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1941 Monterey St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401   |
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
A TripAdvisor Member
“Wet Weekend Still Wonderful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2006

We stayed here for three nights over New Years weekend - in a King/Fireplace room in the Plantation house. Staff was very helpful when calling to make reservations, and matched the lowest price I had found online for the type of room we wanted.

The room was appointed quite nicely, with its soft yellow paint, crown moulding, plantation shutters, and not-totally uninteresting artwork. The king bed was very comfortable, the gas fireplace made the room quite cozy, the large flat-screen TV and DVD player were fun to have, as we brought several movies with us.

The bathroom was nice and big, with two pedestal sinks and a nice-sized shower. Bathrobes were provided ($85 each if you wanna take 'em home with you!).

We had a lovely view of the creek running along the back of the lodge. As this was one of the wettest New Years' in quite awhile, we were treated to the relaxing sounds of the creek going from a mere trickle on our first night to a fun roar towards the end of our stay.

The complimentary breakfast near the main office was nice: bagels and toast, cereal, quiche, oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, juices - among other things. I could have done with a bit more fresh fruit.

The lodge is close to the 101, and you're only a half-hour away from the Central Coast and Morro Bay. I suggest taking a day to venture up Highway 1. Among the coast's highlights are Morro Bay Rock, the famous elephant seals, Moonstone Beach in Cambria, Hearst Castle, and the various views afforded you once you get into the really windy part of the road. We stopped at the Ragged Point Inn for a stroll around the lush cliffside grounds, and had a wonderful lunch (with wonderful views) at the restaurant there.

The only caveats at San Luis Creek Lodge: the parking is not abundant, and we found ourselves having to park at the very front of the property and walk (in the pouring rain) all the way to the back of the property. But there's not much to be done about this. And the mini-fridge in our particular room happened to be running quite loudly.

All-in-all, the San Luis Creek Lodge provided us with the perfect setting for a nice, private, relaxing and romantic New Years weekend - at a reasonable cost. I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Palo Alto, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2006

Stayed at San Luis Creek Lodge for one night in Dec. We had a room in the Plantation wing, farthest from the road. The room was nicely decorated, with a large bathroom. This is a good option for SLO, but do not expect luxury accomodations. If you are expecting the Ritz Carlton, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay, book here. We will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2005
Valencia, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2006

Just stayed one night, but what a great little find in San Luis Obispo. Not only were the rooms clean and very nicely decorated, but the staff couldn't have been more accommodating. A very well run, well maintained, and charming establishment. And very reasonable for all you're getting (A great continental breakfast included!)

Stayed January 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2006

I paid $215 before taxes for a double queen bed in the Londberry. Don't do that. The other reviews are so great that I'm going to assume it was just the room we wound up with that was bad.

The space is ok, but the decor is really shoddy. Really cheap rugs hanging on the wall, 5 cheap nutcracker dolls surrounding the room. Framed signs advising of the hotel's turn down policy on two dressers. The fireplace is ok. The view was the parking lot.

The room just felt like the room of an old dead relative, before it is fully cleared of their possesions. With the lights off and a few drinks in you it can seem romantic - but so can a Motel 6 (which it is located directly next to). Yes, the location is in no way a consolation. Also, the breakfast area is not a place you want to eat breakfast.

Cafe' Roma, downtown, is a great restaurant though, check that out.

• Stayed January 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2005

Lovely place to stay for a quick getaway weekend. The staff was very friendly - gave good restaurant recommendations. The room had two bathroom sinks, large shower, luxurious robes, comfy bed and very quiet. Chocalate cake and wine were awesome. Breakfast selections - excellent. Definetly stay here again!

• Stayed October 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2005

I just returned from a very lovely stay at the San Luis Creek Lodge. I was very impressed with the service, the room was nicely furnished and exceedingly clean! We were placed in the Plantation building which is in the rear of the facilities farthest away from the road noise. We had a green view of a dry creek bed which was very relaxing. Our room also had a fireplace which I thought would be wood buring however it is a gas flip the switch sort of fireplace. The lodge feels more homey than a hotel and the excellent breakfast keeps with the feeling of staying at a good friend's house. If you call the front desk instead of booking on the internet you get a better rate!

Stayed October 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2005

From the Fresh Pumpkin Cake that welcomed me as I checked in as I was rescued from the HORRIBLE Best Western next door... My experience at the San Luis Creek Lodge left me feeling that my Business Trip turned out to be PURE PLEASURE.

I had free dvd's to snuggle up and watch as I popped my popcorn and dove into my puffy Down-Covered Bed. This of course was after I took a long bath in the jacuzzi tub in a bathroom that I can only describe as a girl's dream with a his and her's sink, vanity mirrors and toiletry drawers. Everything is very personalized and detailed. The Personal Robes waiting for you and your mate in the closet to sit next to the window and listen to the stream outside or maybe have a glass of wine on the private patio outside your room or better yet maybe infront of your fireplace...

Between the complimentary quiche for breakfast, starbucks coffee, free movies The San Luis Creek Lodge coziness and service is worth its weight in gold. Service and Accomodations outranks many 5 star hotels I have stayed at.

The list goes on and on...The service was incredible. Pattty the proprieter and her lovable staff truly go above and beyond to make your stay surreal. They are very informed and very sweet. I count the days to my return. See you gyals in the Spring!!!

Been to San Luis Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!