“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in early April. One of my favorite spots in SLO. Close to Cal Poly and a good walk to downtown. Comfortable bed and the breakfast is worthwhile and is included with your stay. Yes, it seems spendy, but after checking the prices of other motels that offer less value, I won't stay anyplace else on SLO.

• Stayed April 2013
June M, Manager at San Luis Creek Lodge, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We do try to offer value to our guests. I am glad you appreciated our breakfast. We have made some additions to our offerings recently and I am very happy that they have been well received. Please come back and see us again, our lovely town has lots to offer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Glendale, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I just stayed at the San Luis Creek Lodge for one night and was very happy with my stay. As a solo female traveler it was a good option.

The location is right off of the 101 next to the Apple Farm and other lodging choices. While you can walk into the downtown area, it's about a mile from the two restaurants I like so I drove into town. (The only lodging option I have found that is right in the middle of downtown is the Garden Street Inn which is a decent B&B but the parking is a couple of blocks away.)

For the price I think it's a great place. The service was great-very nice and helpful staff. I stayed in the Plantation building. The room was a good size, had a nice King bed-on the firm side which I prefer, and all the amenities you need: free wifi, fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, DVD, HBO, nice bath products, parking near your room. The decor was nice enough and the bathroom was very elegant and spacious. (I did get a peek inside the Londonderry building during my tour of available rooms. It was a dark medieval decor-kind of too much for me personally.) The Plantation building which is in the back of the property is the best option for more privacy and no street noise. I did hear some frogs at night from the creek below which was pleasant. The large window looked out onto tree tops.

The only negative was that the blinds were very heavy and hard to operate. There was a note attached saying "don't raise the blinds" (?!?!) but the staff person who showed me the room said I could. A room as nice as this should have working blinds! I did not have the included breakfast so I can't comment on that. Aside from the blinds, it was a lovely room and I highly recommend the inn.

Room Tip: The Plantation building which is in the back of the property is the best option for more privacy and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. We know that San Luis Obispo has many great options. We try to provide the best service possible and appreciate your comments. Our location is a little unusual and the Plantation Building, set back from the street is a great choice for privacy and for a quiet stay. I am glad you enjoyed the Frog's chorus, that is something we have no control over! I appreciate your mention of the blinds and will definitely look into that as soon as possible.
We hope to see you again, and thank you once more!
British Columbia Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I loved our quiet, pretty room at the back of the property. The bathroom was one of the prettiest I've experienced in our travels. Breakfast in the charming dining room was a treat. My husband was very impressed with the coffee cake! If I had any complaints, it would be that the towels were very thin and not in keeping with the luxurious feel of the surroundings. Also, the bar fridge, which is hidden inside the bedside table, had a very loud compressor that woke us several times in the night.
This was our first trip to SLO and we WILL BE BACK to test another room in this special spot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to write this review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay so much. I appreciate your comments about the towels and am happy to report that we have just placed a large order for linens. I am sure you will be happy with our choice. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Please call if you need any information and we will be happy to help you.

Thanks again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We found this little B & B by using a Living Social coupon for a weekend stay in SLO. It was such a pleasant surprise! The room was very warm and felt like home, clean and recently updated! The staff was helpful, and very kind and served an awesome breakfast including Starbuck's coffee!! Loved it!

• Stayed April 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay so much. The very best recommendations come from our guests so we really appreciate your spreading the word!
Please call if you want to stay with us in the future and we will be happy to help you with any information you need. This is a wonderful area and one visit just isn't enough.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Fine, you can get the Madonna Inn and the Apple Farm out of your system. We'll go here. It's tucked between a tired-looking Super 8 and Best Western, and we're glad we found it. It's brisk and charming, with a trio of themed buildings (we pick the Londonderry). The interiors are very cool and refined-looking, with wooden shutters on the windows, the bathrooms all travertine marble and pedestal sinks, and even some books on heraldry and King Arthur in the drawers.

It might not be dear old Blighty itself, but it's got that vibe.

The breakfast is a step up from the usual tins of sausage links and pancakes... at least it feels that way, if for no other reason than they'll scramble some eggs for you on request, and the quiet tea-room feel of the dining room.

Is there a rather noisy little refrigerator? Yes. You can turn it down. Is the fireplace a faux-fireplace with warm air and wavy flame effects? Yes. It's cute. Is the bed very, very firm? Some complain of such, but I actually like it that way. For once I was able to sleep without my face sinking and back aching.

And it's two doors down from a very fun Irish pub and grill! Yes, please.

Room Tip: The Londonderry building is very immersive, and elegant. You can turn down the refrigerator if it is...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for all your kind comments and for taking the time out of your day to write them. We have added some items to our breakfast selection recently so I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed it. There are other great hotel choices in this town so we are flattered that you appreciate our individuality and charm. We hope that you may choose us again if you visit the area in the future and we are always ready to assist you in any way we can if you call us.
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel has such a great vibe. Clean rooms, friendly staff and a tasty breakfast. We have stayed in all three of the themed buildings and each one was really special. It books up fast, so call ealy. The only issue is it is a pricey, but sometimes we splurge to enjoy this lovely spot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
June M, Manager at San Luis Creek Lodge, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. San Luis Obispo is indeed a lovely spot, and with such a good selection of places to stay we appreciate your staying with us. Always feel free to call and talk to us about room availability. Now that you know our buildings you can choose your favorite.

Hope to see you soon!
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were so pleased to see this gem right in the middle of the "Hotel Strip" in San Luis Obispo. The wonderful decorations and style of our room in Londonderry were breathtaking. And every inch, inside and out, was really clean! We felt very welcome when we registered, and were treated to our choice of movie with popcorn in the room for our stay. Very cool... We also loved the proximity of the hotel to the restaurant "Pappy McGregor's" just a couple of doors down. Great place to eat and relax. Lastly, we felt the staff at the hotel was great. The British gal who checked us in and the Breakfast Girl in the mornings were really friendly and professional. We would recommend this hotel to our friends and family!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to post this review of our hotel. We try very hard to be as welcoming as possible and appreciate your very kind comments. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Thanks again

Been to San Luis Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!