“THE BEST OF SLO TOWN!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

San Luis Creek Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1941 Monterey St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401   |
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Pierce, Nebraska
“THE BEST OF SLO TOWN!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

the manager (june) went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect!!!!!!
the room was very nice, and the brakefast was great!!!!
we will be comming back.....i do wish that tripadvisor did'nt make me have to use 200 characters.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SanLuisCreekLodge, Manager at San Luis Creek Lodge, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your very kind comments. We appreciate your taking time out of your day to let us know how your stay went. We hope to see you in the future if you are in this beautiful area again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Manhattan Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We specifically booked a King Premium Fireplace room. When we checked in, the college student running the desk assigned us to the Plantation Building. We drove to the back of the property, opened the door, and found not only no fireplace, but a very cramped room with no fireplace. I promptly called the front desk and asked if there had been a mistake. The student said that while there were fireplace rooms available our first night, the next night they were sold out. I asked that they just give us the fireplace room or provide a discount on the rate. The student said that the rooms reserved for Friday/Saturday had been reserved before ours, so that we shouldn't have been able to book the fireplace room. I said that was fine, just give us the $40 lower rate, I understand these things happen... etc. He said we were already getting a low rate and he couldn't do anything about it. I spoke to another student in charge of the desk upon checkout and they couldn't do anything about it.

Bottom line: I paid for a premium King fireplace room and got a standard king. To add insult to injury, the "free" wi-fi in the plantation building does not work. I had to go up to the front office to use the wi-fi to complete a work assignment. The front desk clerk said their IT guy "might" be in the next day (after I had spent 2 days without connectivity).

I dutifully filled out the survey card upon leaving, but more than a month later, I have heard nothing from the management/owners. It was probably thrown in the trash...... Wouldn't stay here again as I did not get what I paid for.

Room Tip: Plantation building while nice, does not get wi-fi on the ground floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SanLuisCreekLodge, Manager at San Luis Creek Lodge, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I took over management of San Luis Creek Lodge in January. I can only apologize for the issues and resolve to stop them from happening again. Your information is very valuable to me and I will ensure that I deal with these shortcomings. You seemed to be more than reasonable and again I can only apologize. We have fixed our internet problem and it will be my mission to ensure that guest's expectations are fulfilled in the future. Should you wish to speak to me at any time I would be delighted.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I travel to SLO for business at least once a month and always stay at this quaint B&B. My company found this property for me online, and from my first stay I fell in love with it. Their rooms are set up like a European B&B with the latest U.S. amenities. Roomy showers, two sink powder room, comfy beds and some rooms even feature a fireplace.

Their breakfast is always prepared fresh. Try their waffles, with real maple syrup! The breakfast selection can use some fresh fruit, but otherwise totally beats any continental b-fast at a chain hotel.

There is no business center, but the front desk is accommodating for light print jobs. For business people who arrive late, the lock-box is particularly convenient. Look forward to enjoying the serenity of the property on a personal holiday sometime!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the back building are awesome. The second floor even has a small patio in the room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We really do appreciate it. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast. We have been serving fresh grapefruit recently along with the other fruits and for your information we also have a 'to go" breakfast option now which may be useful for you if you are ever a little short of time.
San Gabriel, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband & I stayed at this lodge 12/27-29, 2012. We were surprised with the layout upon driving up. Very crowded with 3 buildings on this small strip of land. There is only one way in and one way out. We stayed at the Plantation lodge which the last building in the back. The room was nicely decorated but the bed was uncomfortable, the pillows flat and the lighting poor. At breakfast there was no room to sit, very small area. Once seated the rolls were gone, juice & milk warm and we were not told we could order waffles & eggs to cook. When we did finally order eggs they were brought on a saucer plate. After a visit to Bishops Peak we came back to damp towels in the room. For the price we paid we should have had better not to mention the website pictures are misleading. We will not be back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Not a chain, so if you are hoping for free stays this is not for you. However, breakfast is delicious, rooms are spacious, intricately designed, and clean. The price is very reasonable for what you get. And the WiFi is ACTUALLY fast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here during our recent trip to California after seeing that it was listed as a recommended place to stay in the Rough Guide.
We got our room at a great discounted price thanks to some bartering by my husband but the room was definitely worth the $159 that we should have paid.
The room was really well presented with an extremely large and comfortable bed. Quality bed linens and furnishings. Coffee maker in a room is always a bonus! Bathroom was also of a good size.
A good breakfast was provided in the inn's breakfast room. It was continental style and there was plenty to choose from. We were also offered scrambled eggs and waffles.

• Stayed November 2012
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

If you can deal with less than stellar customer service, want a place that's not your typical Marriott or Hilton, and don't mind weird interior design, try it!

The office crew looks to be a bunch of college kids running the front office. There is no one there at night. There doesn't seem to be much communication from one shift to the next, which ended up being incredibly frustrating.

When we checked in, we heard this non-stop loud gurgling noise that sounded like a bathtub draining on the floor above us. It sounded like we were in the pipe! I called the gal at the check in desk, and she said, "You are here for 3 days...I think you should move to another room." I asked about just having someone come and see if it was fixable, but the "handyman" was off that day. I went back to the office, and was given a key to look at another room. I walked in, and it had not been cleaned. I went back, the girl apologized, and after consulting her computer screen, gave me a different key. That room was either not cleaned, or the occupant was still there (the TV was on, the bed had been slept in, and the light was on in the bathroom with the door closed.) Again, she apologized, and was not really sure what to do. (The cleaning folks were gone, too...)

I said we'd keep the room we had, and asked her to just have someone look at the gurgling issue. She said she would, and we never heard another word from anyone about it. In fact, I couldn't ever get any information on whether anyone had even looked into the issue. The gurgling continued to be an issue for the 3 nights we were there, but I turned on a white noise program on my phone, and we slept just fine.

This property is made up of 3 themed buildings. We stayed in the Craftsman building. The king bed was comfy, but the room was very full of furniture. Fortunately, it was a spacious room, so there was room for our luggage on the floor. The additional rooms I checked out were in the Londonderry building, and the rooms looked very dark and cramped to me. The Plantation building was supposedly fully booked during our stay, but I never saw more than one car parked there....although there WAS an HVAC company truck parked back there every day....????

On the plus side, the breakfast was good. The breakfast room is nothing fancy, in fact...well, let's just say they could use a professional interior decorator that has experience in the hospitality business.

I'm not sure about this place. It has some corny charm, but surely there are better places to stay in SLO....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to San Luis Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!