“Great alternative to the chain hotels” 4 of 5 stars

Los Padres Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1575 Monterey Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93407   |
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Long Beach, California
“Great alternative to the chain hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

This 60's era motel is a charming and less expensive to the other hotel options in SLO. It is well kept-up and within a short walk to great breakfast spots and downtown SLO is a 10 minute walk away. My girlfriend and I stayed during February where at night it was in the 30's and 40's. The room had an AC unit with heater (plus a space heater) to keep us warm. The beds aren't the greatest but we slept fine. I would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Davis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

Los Padres has a nice, classic touch to it - how Motels used to be, unlike today's Motel chains. The rooms have a classy touch and are spacious with almost everything you desire - except for an air condition that is.

But that said, the ceiling fans were completely sufficient even on the 110°F day we were there. Location is about perfect as downtown San Luis Obispo is just within few minutes of walking - which really is the way to go here as San Luis Obispo has an almost Mediterrenean charm.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Los Padres Inn is in a great location within walking distance of downtown SLO - I assume that's why the place was very expensive (in my opinion) for the quality of the room. My main complaint is the lack of air conditioning - I was there during the heatwave in late September and the room was absolutely boiling. My room wasn't the only one which was really hot because everyone else had their doors open with fans trying to blow in some cool air. Maybe I'm unreasonable, but if I pay $ 100.00 per night for a room, I expect AC and really hope for a coffeemaker - which it also didn't have. Apart from that, staff was very friendly, the room was very clean, fairly spacious and it had a fridge, but it just was not worth the money.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Simi Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We sometimes tend to think that it's always the hotels fault when we don't get what we want, but I think some responsibility lies with fellow travellers and how considerate or inconsiderate they are to others staying at the same hotel.

My family and I rented a room at the Los Padres Inn. We found it clean, nice and the Innkeeper was very friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel was near everything and the value was good. For a small "mom and pop" hotel, we were very happy to stay there.

I noticed our next door neighbors were young and loud, so I requested if we could be moved to another room. The Innkeeper would have happily moved us, but she was booked for the night. If there was any trouble, please let her know and she would take care of it. The young people next door left for the evening around 11:30pm. At 2am, they came back and were loud and obnoxious. No consideration at all for their fellow travelers. I ended up calling the Innkeeper who promptly went to the room and the revelers died wound down for the evening.

The hotel did as much as they could under the circumstances and for that I am grateful. But seriously, travelers should have consideration for each other. Yes, have a good time on your trip, but you are sharing a "home" with other people. It would be good to remember that!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Mammoth Lakes, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

We were in town to spend Thanksgiving with family, but wanted a place of our own to go back to each night. Not sure why the rates were so cheap because it was a busy holiday weekend, but we got a rate of around $60 a night for a 4 night stay. We really only slept and took showers there, so we were glad not to have to spend a lot of money. I would describe the room as adequate, but I would have been disappointed to have spent any more than $60 for the room. It was small, the sheets had a couple stains, the bed was not that comfortable, the towels were thin and small, the heater was old and noisy. On the upside, the front desk was very helpful and friendly, the free wi-fi was fast, and the parking was not a problem.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

This inn was pleasant after a day on the road. The room was clean, the TV worked with no static and the bathroom facilities were fine. No air-conditioning meant the room was a bit stuffy - but there was a ceiling fan and an additional fan in the room. The receptionist was friendly and courteous and didn't rock our heads with a thousand questions upon arrival. There's a cute orange tree in the parking lot which added a savour of quaintness to the whole shebang. Slight pre-fab vibe to the whole affair and we were charged an additional 5 dollars for WI_FI access which really shook us up. All in all -very decent.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

Nice decent place to stay, feels like home away from home, friendly people working there, walking distance to farmers market and close to calpoly where my son is planning to go calpoly if he gets admission i will stay at Los Padres Inn b'coz Its just coming from one home to another. i recommend you to stay there,

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Los Padres Motel? Share your experiences!