“Quaint Family Run Motel” 4 of 5 stars

Los Padres Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1575 Monterey Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93407   |
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Calgary, Canada
“Quaint Family Run Motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This newly taken over motel in San Luis Obispo has an excellent location and is cute and affordable. The staff was very friendly, and I was given a 10% discount when I asked for an AAA rate. The rooms are basic but clean, and a good fan provided a cool breeze. I would recommend this place and will return when I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Upper floor room in the back was super quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I chose this place based on the reviews, location, and price. I expected the room to be cleaner. The bed was fine, shower/bathroom fine, but the carpeted floor and under the bed, behind furniture was dusty and dirty. That put a damper in the general cleanliness to me. The furniture was old and dresser worn and scuffed/peeling heavily. A decorative runner was used to cover the large blemishes...which I guess is ok. One night stay, Monday night, single person, the rate was $59.99. The location is great (close to downtown, but not too close) and service was ok on the phone and in person. Although the clerk was very concerned and insisted on informing me about the "non smoking" aspect of the room. I don't smoke, which I assured that this wouldn't be a problem...maybe they have had issues in the past? I'm skeptical as to why this place was rated so high? Maybe the single queen room (#15) isn't their prime example? I might stay here again if needed, however it wouldn't be my first choice second time around.

• Stayed March 2013
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

very helpful, reliable staff. I left my wallet in the room and they promptly called me and held it safely for me until I could come back to claim it. We stayed for one night and arrived in town without a reservation and after asking at another hotel they sent us to Los Padres.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are definitely a bit weathered and outdated, but the price can't be beat. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and the location is very convenient to downtown SLO. Recommended so long as you're ok with a room that is a bit on the shabby side.

• Stayed February 2013
Oliver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. We did not have a reservation and the lady at the checkin was friendly and helpful. We checked out the room and decided to stay. The cost was reasonable.

We were close enough to walk downtown, which was a consideration for us.

The room was small but it was clean. The beds were comfortable and the place was quiet.

There was no coffee maker in the room and that would be a good addition.

This is an older property but it has been kept up, it is clean and has a good location.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to see the rooms first to ensure it meets your needs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Here and There
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My experience there was the best... Their location is a short walk to downtown SLO... And the Thursday Night Farmer's Market or take the "Trolley" when it's running... Couple of places to eat not a hundred yards away... Great Mexican food and happy hour even closer... The Motel is somewhat Vintage... Like a good wine... However... The rooms are clean and more then adequate with a mini-fridge and microwave...They have very fast Wifi...Considering the location... The Motel is a real value for SLO... The staff was very attentive to my needs and always helpful... I'm retired and travel a lot and found myself returning to this quaint little Inn any time I was in town... The Motel is comparatively small and I enjoyed the Court Style layout of the Spanish Style Architecture... I don't normally write reviews but just wanted to let the next guy know that you can get more bang for your buck at Los Padres Inn in San Luis Obispo...Aka SLO...

Room Tip: I enjoy staying in the rooms in the corner in the back of the Motel... They have carports that make...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

For 71 US Dollars a night, I was expecting breakfast but the hotel does not have breakfast available. The room was clean and quiet. When I asked about the internet connection, the employee said the code for access would be on the telephone in the room but it wasn't. I coudn't be bothered to go back to reception and ask again as it was late at night. The location was okay. It's about a 10 minute walk from most restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Los Padres Motel? Share your experiences!