“Chef Rocks” 5 of 5 stars

1215 Avila Beach Dr, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
(805) 595-7365
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Gardens of Avila is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 228 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Transit: Avila Beach Pismo Beach
Simi Valley, California
“Chef Rocks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Great new menu reasonable prices. If you get the spa package a $30 voucher is a good deal. Try the rib eye

Visited June 2014

oakland, CA
“Great spa food, beautifully presented”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We were camping nearby and stopped by this restaurant as it was open latest. I've stayed at Sycamore before but not eaten here. The hostess and staff were friendly and attentive. The food was WONDERFUL. I had oysters, the kale salad, and my friend had a beet salad. The chocolate pot de crème was killer. You can be casually attired but the dining room is very pretty. The bar looked welcoming with it's big fireplace on a chilly spring evening. I would go again, because everything on the menu looked great.

Visited April 2014
los angeles
“Expected more.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

While staying at the resort, we had expected a bit more of a fine-dining experience for dinner in the "fancier" restaurant. We were seated in the back room, which resembled something more like a Holiday Inn than the rest of the resort, which is so well appointed. The "Gardens of Avila" had NO Garden or barely even a live plant to speak of! The bar in the front of the hotel was so inviting with the fireplace, I had expected something similar from the restaurant.

But what about the food? I ordered the carrot-ginger soup which was delicious, but served with an abundance of cream (too much) and the server forgot to bring a spoon. By the time I waived someone down, the soup was cold, but overall, it tasted good. My husband ordered a beet and kale salad and the pieces of Kale were ridiculously large! Despite the appearance, it tasted good too. For our entree, my husband ordered the scallops and pork belly and his meal was delicious and spot on. I wish I could say the same for the short rib. That entree was bland and under seasoned. The two hunks of meat sat upon a puree of bland brown mush and a glaze of some sort that did nothing to enhance the flavor. Lucky for me, my husband shared his entree and ate most of mine. We decided to skip desert and head back to the room for our private hot tub!

The wait staff was very friendly and I understand the chef is new. I don't usually like to give a negative review, but I'm hoping the chef might kick it up a notch or visit some higher-end restaurants to learn how it should be done. We had a lovely night, but the restaurant was the weak link in an otherwise fabulous resort!

Visited April 2014
Los Gatos, California
“Fresh and flavorful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

While waiting for everyone to arrive we sat in the lounge next to the fireplace, entertained by a talented guitarist while we sipped out wine. Then we were shown to a private booth. Our server was very pleasant and professional. He explained the restaurant's organic philosophy, and told us about the gardens on-site. There were 4 of us, all women. We split two meals among the 4 of us. Two shared a blend of fish, pork belly and cantaloupe. I loved it! Would only recommend sharing if you are normally a light eater. The other two ladies shared a chicken dish, which they raved about as well. I'll return.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Farm-to-Table Gourmet Gem in Avila Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Dinner was superb! 5-stars all around: food, service, wine list, presentation, price. All was perfect! Best dishes:

Ahi Crudo
Orange pasta with roasted cauliflower
Milk-braised pork short rib

Dessert was also delicious. We did the tasting menu with wine pairings and relished every moment.

We loved it so much we went back for breakfast. That's where I'm reducing the 5 stars to 4. We ordered 3 things: eggs benedict, soft scrambled eggs with salmon and lemon ricotta pancakes. The pancakes were sublime but the other 2 were very blah. Next time I would order the fried chicken & waffles that I've heard so much about.

Can't wait to go back!