“Godzilla portions” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Jurupa Valley
“Godzilla portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Margie's is a landmark in SLO. We saw many types eating there. Some French speaking visitors from Quebec were next to us and were shocked at the portions. They took many photos of their orders. I must say that so were my wife and I. The food was very tasty and very good. If you like grandma's farm style cooking this is the place. Good recipes, well prepared, fresh. Not extraordinary, but they are not trying to be more than a traditional roadside/family diner. We ate there two nights and tried some of the items they touted. The meatloaf had no filler and was made with course ground meat, beef and pork I assume. Portion was maybe near a pound with a savory gravy on it. Pork chops were large with 3 on the plate and gravy. Ham steak was large but nothing special. Wife ate a lot of my meatloaf. Mash potatoes on the side was ridiculously large, as were the very nice local vegetables and rolls. Fruit were wedges of melon and oranges. All excellent and very fresh and tasty. Menu variety was good. Burgers were huge. Fries order looked like a log pile, huge. We saw many fresh shakes being made. I have no complaints. Our servers both nights were new and breaking in. They did nicely and were interacting with us well. Now my only comment would be that they do offer smaller portions, but do not display or mention that prominently enough. LOOK AT OTHER PEOPLE'S PLATE WHEN YOU GO IN. It hurt to see many wasting a lot of food and expense. Many did box the remainder. A good value but consider the smaller portions.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San luis obispo
“The orange juice scandal ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I came to Margie's on a Sunday with an empty stomach and a full heart. I opened the doors and was greeted by a very nice hostess who sat me and my family rather quickly. After waiting longer than I would've wanted we received our petite water glasses and I unknowingly ordered a glass of their "finest" orange juice. "Finest" meaning I received a minuscule glass containing almost less than the average juice box. After realizing that I had just spent 4.75 on a tiny glass of orange juice I was shocked to find out that there were no refills. Okay... So I spent 5 of my hard worked dollars on an average glass of orange juice that barely even began to quench my thirst. After I had finally calmed myself down and realized that I should never get this upset over a glass of orange juice, I was greeted with an overabundance of food. There were piles and piles of delicious hometown cooking scattered around the table. Before I knew what to do I found myself devouring my humongous stack of hot cakes and instantly forgot about my previous endeavor with my orange juice. Everything was fine till I realized that I am a human and I need liquids. Water did not do the job. I needed orange juice, so I put my foot down and took all the large orange slices they put on our plates and squeezed my own. Yes and with those three slices I had filled up more than a third of my microscopic glass. After finishing that in one gulp we payed our bill and started to make our way to the nearest convenient store to by a carton of orange juice for only 2.99.

San Luis Obispo County, California
“Worst customer service by Margie OWNER(REFUSING TO TAKE MY ORDER)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I called to place a to go order and they refuse to take my order because there too busy. I'm glad that business is good but to refuse to take my order is nonprofessional. She could have giving me a time of how long it would take for my order to be ready but not even an option. Turning away customer that's been coming here for years is bad for business. As an owner of the business, she turn my business away. Will I say to Margie's Diner Never again will I eat to this place.

• Visited July 2014
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Quality and quantity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Yes the portions are huge but the food was excellent. The meatloaf and chilli were both great. The local Firestone beer was the best I have had on this trip. The staff were friendly and efficient. A good choice.

Visited July 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Too Much Food!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Like another review said they stress quantity over quality. I’ve been to my fair share of road side diners and this one isn’t on the top of my list. If you and others can agree on something to split, do it. We order separate items and more than half went to waste. The open face turkey gravy was great but otherwise it was just a plate of heap on potatoes that tasted burnt and thin sliced turkey slapped on bread covered in gravy. The club sandwich was good but it was too thick to take a bite, you had to take it apart. And the fries were enough to feed an army. The prices were pretty spendy too. I think it would be better served if they offer half the amount of food (which would still be too much) and lower their prices. The location (which is hard to find) is by hotels and most people that eat here probably won’t be taking the left overs so it is just wasted food. I’m not one to be on the “don’t waste food” bandwagon but even for me this was a bit excessive!

• Visited May 2014