“FINALLY...” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1126 Morro Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401   |
Laguna Beach, California
“FINALLY...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

With a son studying at Cal Poly SLO, I make the lovely trek to the Central Coast fairly often. Up until now, my options have been 1. Chain hotel/motel or 2. Victorian Bed and Breakfast. Hallelujah for the Granada. I happened upon it through Trip Advisor/Yelp and it seemed like the aesthetic that I appreciate without the insanely high boutique hotel prices. My room was small but not claustrophobic. The bed was divine and the exposed brick (even in the shower!) was charming. There is an upper deck that may be enjoyed by the hotel guests that looks over the bistro and street below. I did not eat in the bistro (next time!) but did enjoy a glass of wine. My server, Kelly, was adorably friendly as was the front desk manager on duty, Kathleen. All in all, I was impressed by both the property itself and the staff that I encountered. Good job, Granada. I will be back.

Room Tip: Upstairs without a doubt.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Bottom line – I would never stay in a room here unless it was an upstairs suite. The hotel is a “5”; my room was a “1”. Overall – I give it a “1” for the deception of renting out a room at these prices that are just not functional.

The Granada Hotel itself is a welcome change to the boring hotels at the end of Monterey St or over by the Madonna Inn. However – you really need to watch out for the room size/location before confirming reservations. We were in # 16 (a “classic”) on the bottom floor facing the parking lot. The room #17, I presume would be equally as bad.
The good:
• Excellent location
• Trendy/contemporary accommodations
• Comfortable bed
• Great shower (except it is in the bedroom)
• Friendly/helpful staff
The Bad:
• When the management/staff say “boutique” they mean the rooms are small – not necessarily that the hotel is small
• Hard to find – the sign out from is a work of art – but you don’t really see it because it blends in with the wall
• The parking…you’ve got to be kidding. The ally way to the parking can hardly accommodate anything bigger than a Honda Civic. It’s just that people who drive a Civic cannot afford to stay here.
The Ugly:
• We stayed in a “classic” room. The size is really not acceptable for more than a single person. The glass case is supposed to be an amour. It just did not work. No place to put suit cases, no closets, no drawers – you’re living out of your suit case which is laying on the floor. You have to rearrange luggage to take a shower (the shower & bathroom vanity are part of the bedroom). There is no bathroom – just a water closet for the toilet. The bathroom sink (well vanity sink as there is no bathroom) is like a tiny wet bar (totally unacceptable at these prices).
• The weather in SLO is beautiful – but you can’t open the window. It is a very cool industrial/contemporary look – but if you open the window – anyone in the parking lot could just climb in. It would be very simple to just put a restricting arm on the window to allow it to only open a few inches.

Room Tip: Go for an upstairs suite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kimberly W, General Manager at Granada Hotel and Bistro, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Honored Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We take the feedback of our guests extremely seriously as it gives us the opportunity to improve.

We apologize for any misunderstanding you experienced while staying at Granada. We gave you the best appointed room we could given your price point needs. The New York Times referred to Granada as San Luis Obispo's "First Luxury Boutique Hotel", and as such the hotel is not ideal for guests seeking a traditional experience. The rooms are intimate and we have added more suitcase stands since you last stayed with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back and offering you a different room type that better accommodates your preferences. Again, we apologize for any issues you may have experienced.

Please feel free to reach out to me at anytime to discuss your stay.

Keilah Smith
Atascadero
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband planned a one night 20th anniversary get away for us. It was quite wonderful. We loved the Granada Hotel for many of the reasons everyone has written on earlier reviews. We were in Room 1 overlooking the street from our Juliet Balcony. It was just a really cool room with a totally different feel. The service was great as everyone treated us with lots of attention and did not fail to mention our anniversary. The restaurant and bar looked great, but we chose to go to the spectacular Koberl at Blue two blocks away instead. This restaurant has the same feel as the Granada with the brick walls and dark woods. We did not use any of the extra hotel spaces, but would in the future. For breakfast, my husband walked the short distance to Starbucks and brought back the items that we enjoyed on our Juliet Balcony. The view is nothing great, but we didn't care. We were just enjoying the moment. The only drawbacks we experienced where that the hot water took a long time to come on and the street noise was bad at times. I have already recommended the Granada to friends. If you stay more than one night, eat at the Granada for one and Koberl at Blue for the other.

Room Tip: We liked the front room with the Juliet Balcony.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed here shortly after the hotel opened and while I applaud their attempts to offer a stylish boutique hotel, there were several serious flaws they need to sort out before I could recommend staying here. Many of the issues stem from their inability to better separate the guests staying in the hotel from the restaurant customers.

For a start, if the hotel says they offer free parking for hotel guests, they need to ensure that. It's not acceptable to allow restaurant customers (or anyone else) to take all the hotel parking spots and then tell the hotel guests they should park somewhere else and check back regularly for a spot to open up.

Also, if the upstairs lounge area is supposed to be a quieter area reserved for hotel guests only, then again the hotel needs to enforce that policy. For two nights, my husband and I tried to have a quiet evening enjoying a glass of wine on the outside patio of this guests-only lounge. Both nights, those plans were disrupted by groups of semi-drunk people from the restaurant downstairs invading the space, talking loudly to each other etc. This also highlighted a serious security risk as several of the hotel rooms (mine included) have bedroom windows that open into this lounge area - anyone could easily access the rooms by simply stepping in through the window.

The service was also very uneven - one manager was nice and tried to help and another manager was rude and unhelpful. Perhaps these issues were opening jitters and have been taken care of. For the prices they are charging, I should hope so.

Room Tip: Avoid the classic Queen unless you are a single traveler - these rooms are TINY!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Costa Mesa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I came up to SLO for a short birthday trip for some wine tasting in Paso Robles. We stayed for two nights - a Sunday (Easter, actually) and the next night. After ruling out the B&Bs in Paso, I came across the Granada Inn on tripadvisor and the search was over! The inn is small but the staff friendly and helpful. The Spanish style is done in a modern way-you won't feel like you're in a creepy, dusty, medieval castle. The rooms are stylish, quiet, modern, and sexy. Having a shower in the room is a bit strange but on a couples getaway, works just fine.

We didn't actually end up eating at the bistro unfortunately but it had many patrons both nights of our stay. The location is prime for strolling around SLO. In the morning, coffee is served upstairs in a lounge. There is also a great rooftop outdoor patio with a fireplace and very intimate seating to sit and sip coffee or a glass of wine.

There is a massage room that I didn't partake of - maybe next time! Be forewarned that parking is in the back and you have to drive down a very narrow alley to get to it which is a bit harrowing. I missed the alley the first time.

The pictures online don't really give you too much to go on but can totally be trusted. The inn is sexy and modern with rich dark wood and beautiful stone and vanity. The beds were super comfortable and even though the window of our room faced the parking lot, it was quiet and undisturbed. The cost was really great for the location and the value of the room as well. I will definitely be back if I am headed back up there.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Had lunch here on arrival in town. Realized it was a hotel as well as a Bistro and thought it was really interesting. We cancelled our reservations and decided to stay at the Granada for our one night in town. It's a new place and I would have to say we liked it so much better than staying on the coast or outside of town. The location is great. The shops and restaurants start just outside the doors and continue for blocks. Close to the university and a ten minute drive to the beach. The atmosphere though was really neat. It's a rebuild that kept the old world charm and was extremely well done. Great room amenities and great beds. Everything was polished. I can't even list the little things they did so well but my guess is the price will go up as they get more visibility. The bistro was also really nice and a great place for lunch outside.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I absolutely loved this place. So chic and elegant. I loved the rooftop fireplace, the gorgeous exposed brick wall in our room, and the shower/sink area was so cool. Comfy bed and nice toiletries.
If you find yourself in downtown SLO, you will love it here.
The only thing to make this place better would be to have a Kuereg coffee maker instead of the large pot in the common area.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Granada Hotel and Bistro? Share your experiences!