“Perfect location!” 5 of 5 stars

Granada Hotel and Bistro
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1126 Morro Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401   |
“Perfect location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent two nights at the Granada the first week in January. The location is perfect for enjoying downtown San Luis Obispo and the hotel is absolutely gorgeous. We found the staff was very helpful and the morning coffee was excellent! Next time I'm in SLO, this is where I'm staying.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Granada had everything I want in a hotel: friendly staff, warm and stylish design, great location, excellent bar and resto. I see that some of the reviewers said the rooms were too small, and though it's true that you can't do calisthenics, there was still more than enough room for all of your needs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Baywood Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Some of the great literary critics say that every story must have conflict, but this story does not. Granada is everything but conflicting, restricting; everything but a mirror to the oh-so-standard places in SLO. From the street you walk into a living novel, a place of culture, a room with a view, yet underground and unique in that there is no other place like this in SLO (or on earth for that matter). Who are the lunatics who designed and conceived this place? I would surely salute them for this project.

And now I wonder about some of the negative reviews that have been posted. I'm sure they didn't have such a horrendous time, for how could they? Maybe they don't get it. Or maybe they desire to keep this place a secret, thus turning everyone else away so they can enjoy it; a feast unto themselves. It really is a good idea, but I am so stoked on this place I cannot stop typing! And all this makes me sad, too, for I know that soon enough the superstars and celebrities will try to invade this place and I hope it doesn't ruin it or plasticize it for the local folks who are your cornerstone.

I've eaten here three times since the recent opening (in November) and I only have positive feedback The service is relaxed, not stuffy, but with all the steps of service that you find at finer restaurants. The food menu is incredible, and from what my server told me and what I tasted I can say that the Chef spares no expense in sourcing premium quality ingredients. Moreover: the food isn't excessively rich or overly dressed. You can TASTE the product and the chef doesn't hide what's on the dish. I leave full but not uncomfortable and out of balance. Well done, Chefs.

The charcuterie is amazing and fair in pricing, and the specialty cocktail list is home-made mixology at its best! Seriously, hats off to the gentlemen behind the bar. The wine list is eclectic and probably the most unique list in SLO. They have international offerings galore and the list is an explorative alternative to every other wine list in SLO. It was wonderful to peruse something new and fresh and young.

I walked out of the street into Granada Hotel and Bistro, and the staff and the menu took me in, making me a part of the story; it was like they dedicated a chapter of the novel to my experience. After a great night out with my friends and my significant other, we booked rooms for the night. It was the perfect ending to a perfect chapter, turning me to turn the page, to read and eat and drink in the next chapter to come...

Room Tip: Rooms are small, intimiate and boutique.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Value is important to me. I have stayed at Granada at least four times in the past three months and have loved it every time. The rooms are small yet beautiful. This is an intimate boutique hotel in which the owners have clearly paid close attention to the details. It's centrally located in downtown SLO and is in the heart of all the restaurants, bars and shops. I also found the hotel to be quite even though it's close to the action.

The Granada also offers a very good restaurant. Again, it's one of the best in town by far! Exceptional cocktails crafted by a mixologist (ask for Noah), and well portioned food. The menu offers enough variety without going overboard. If you're looking for an excellent place for a date, or an intimate dinner, this is definitely it. It's also a cool place to meet friends for great cocktails or happy hour.

This is a new hotel, and I think the Granada could improve on a few things: Service from the wait staff could be a bit better. They just need to pay a little closer attention to the small details of service. They do a good job, when they could be doing an exceptional job. I'd also like to see the beds have a thicker down comforter for the winter months, and softer pillows. The Granada also has slightly limited private parking which at times can be a bit of a challenge. They have an extra parking lot directly next door that guests can use, which proves to be a decent solution. I'd like to see priority parking, however, for guests of the hotel.

With all this said, I HIGHLY recommend the Granada! If you're looking for a relaxed, cozy experience, this is it. If you're looking to feel pampered, this is the place. If you're looking to impress your lady, come here. If you're looking for average or typical, this is not the place for you. The Granada offers a luxury experience without clocking you over the head with a hefty bill.

Room Tip: Request Room 1...trust me ;-)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

It is no secret that since Granada Bistro new opening, it has by far the best food in town. Every aspect of every meal is hand-crafted by the chef, even the house-made thick cut bacon, The restaurant's intimate feel is as close as you can get to eating alongside the narrow cobblestone roads in Southern Spain. As expected, the dinner was absolutely delicious. However, the breakfast was an extremely pleasant surprise. I ordered the egg-white omelet with mouthwatering goat cheese, corn, cherry tomatoes and perfectly roasted fingerling potatoes on the side. My boyfriend ordered the Eggs Benedict, which he immediately deemed the best he'd ever had and made me try it. It was the perfect combo: house-made bacon, fresh cornbread, and a perfectly cooked over-easy egg, all topped off with an amazing hollandaise. Granada without a doubt stands out among the abundance of breakfast spots in SLO....you must try!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the balcony rooms;) It's the perfect spot to sip the house coffee or share a bott...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
roxyldh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

The staff were terribly rude because they didn't see me and my husband as serious guests and they put us in the smallest room and ignored all our room service requests from more towels to breakfast. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
Kimberly W, Owner at Granada Hotel and Bistro, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear honored guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We take the feedback of our guests extremely seriously as it gives us the opportunity to improve.

As I stated in your husbands trip advisor review response, we apologize for any misunderstanding you experienced while staying at Granada. As we discussed at the time of your reservation, the hotel was very full that evening and we gave you the best appointed room we could given your price point needs. Of course, since we graciously discounted your room as a courtesy for your situation - we would not able to give you an upgraded room.

In regards to breakfast, we are only currently set up for coffee service, which is provided every morning to all guests of the hotel. We do have a brunch on the weekends but your stay was during the mid week.

We do realize that Granada Hotel & Bistro has a very specific vision and sophistication that is not ideal for everyone. The New York Times referred to Granada as San Luis Obispo's "First Luxury Boutique Hotel", and as such the hotel is not ideal for guests seeking a traditional experience.
We would be delighted to discuss your stay further.

Kimberly Walker
Santa Barbara
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Very disappointed. I spoke to 3 different people including the manager. All told me that "every room has a fireplace" UNTRUE. I explained that this was a very special anniversary. The hotel was almost completely vacant and they gave us the smallest room that I've seen since staying in NYC. No closet. No place to set a suitcase, additionally it was quite loud. You hear every little noise in the hotel. The window shade only pulls down enough to allow the street light to shine on your face all night. I was very disappointed. If you must stay downtown, be sure to ask to see the room. I will NOT come back.

• Stayed December 2012
Kimberly W, Owner at Granada Hotel and Bistro, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear honored guest,

We apologize for any misunderstanding you experienced while staying at Granada. As we discussed at the time of your reservation, the hotel was very full that evening and we gave you the best appointed room we could given your price point needs. Of course, since we graciously discounted your room as a courtesy for your situation - we would not able to give you an upgraded room.

We would be delighted to discuss your stay further.

Kimberly Walker

Been to Granada Hotel and Bistro? Share your experiences!